First day ,first step towards a brighter future (hopefully)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masson

Reaction score
So tommorow I'm going to a psychiatrist and its my first time , I want to ask how is it ? How do you start talking to him/her ? I'm usually open to anything but it will be akward to start telling someone you see for the first time your deepest problems.

Well i've seen a few, itall depends on his personnality . most of the time they will ask questions to start a conversation. Be honest and do not hold back, thats why you are there. Its great that you took that step, it takes courage but its sooo worth it !!

I don't know if its courage or not much of a choice really. What else could you do to help with a mental problem?
Thanks , it helps to have someone tell me what to do in a social situation.

Well that was a waste of my time , I went there , she started asking question and with each one I answered she was like " Ok thats not normal " wow thank you I didn't know that and when I said about my problem around people again " Thats not normal , you should go to the looney bin in another town " , seriously ? You have a diploma in this field and after 5 minutes with a patient you just send them to the looney ?
Its exactly as I thought people here have the mentality of a retarded seal regardless of proffesion, half way through the sesion I wanted to throw the table at her. People like that shouldn't be allowed to "treat" people and get paid.
I'm better off on my own than go to somebody like that again.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't what you hoped. "Not normal" is not something a professional like that should say, very inappropriate of her. Not all are like that, some people here would tell you that right away, they've had good experiences. Maybe the best way to find someone who won't judge like that would be to ask others, if you know anyone, that see a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are just people, you might have to try a few to find one that fits for you.

I might know a good one but its in another town and to be able to go regulary I will have to wait 2-3 months.

Not all Psychiatrists are good.....and one that tells you that you are not normal is certainly not......but don't let it put you off therapy.....find a Psychiatrist that you're comfortable with can take a few tries.....I went to two before I found one I liked....also look for somebody depending on your needs and issues.

Eh you tend to judge people as not being qualified based on what you said in the pedophilia thread with this level of distrust how can anyone treat you? If she said you should go to a mental hospital it was probably for one of two reasons 1) You are acutely suicidal 2) You are schizophrenic.

so....yeah...

i also doubt she used the words loony bin.

God will you let that go ? I'm not judging anyone , I just said that just because somebody has a piece of paper it doesen't mean that everything they do in their field of work is 100% accurate , thats not judging , thats seeing the world how it is.
Yes she didn't say looney bin but mental hospital , I didn't know how to call it in english at first so thank you for correcting me.

Well i guess she didnt feel like she could help you, but please dont give up, there are very good therapists and i'm sure you will find the right one for you. Oh and for the 2-3 month wait to see the other therapist, why dont you ask the one you saw today to refer you, it may go faster that way.

Masson said:
Well that was a waste of my time , I went there , she started asking question and with each one I answered she was like " Ok thats not normal " wow thank you I didn't know that and when I said about my problem around people again " Thats not normal , you should go to the looney bin in another town " , seriously ? You have a diploma in this field and after 5 minutes with a patient you just send them to the looney ?
Its exactly as I thought people here have the mentality of a retarded seal regardless of proffesion, half way through the sesion I wanted to throw the table at her. People like that shouldn't be allowed to "treat" people and get paid.
I'm better off on my own than go to somebody like that again.

Wow, how'd she even get her degree? A Dr. acting like that, must be hard to hear that when you were confident about getting help.

Keep trying dude, find another psychiatrist who you feel comfortable with. :)

Argh, there are so many jerks doing that job - personally, I always had better luck with counsellors and psychologists, they seem to be less eager to put you in a box, maybe it's a different kind of training, or because they can't prescribe medicines? http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/f/psychvspsych.htm
but it really depend on the person, my best therapist was a psychiatrist by training, but a very normal person otherwise ;) Sorry you had to go through that, don't give up! You will find one who understands you, sometimes it takes a little time

PS: I had several times (3?4?) in my life professionals to tell me to go to a mental hospital (when I was a teenager one threatened me, telling me that the police will follow me and catch me if I didn't go voluntarily (not true)! I was a teenager so I got really scared and went to study to a different city because of that guy) and that was mostly because I answered back and asked questions about their methods and diagnosis. Seriously. I was a bit of a rebel, and somewhat depressed for various periods in my life, but I never was what they diagnosed me with after talking for 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back