First day jitters

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippyd

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I think I might be going through an early sort of mid life crisis. I'm only 26 but more and more I have been getting really tired of the materialism and shallow conversations I have with people. It's all about how we look, what we wear, what stuff we just bought and who is going out with who. There is more to life then that! I know I sound picky and judging and I'm not usually that way but this is bothering me.

I recently dumped my FB account. I like my stuff and going on trips as much as anybody but there has to be more to a person. I broke up with my fiance last year because he was more interested in HIM then me. I like a person with good self esteem, don't get me wrong..but he was pushing it into the narcissistic zone.

I'm graduated from college and am one of those unfortunates that can't find a job in the career field they made me believe I had to pick in HS and now I am $55,000 in debt and working and dancing in a club nights to pay it back.
I had to take the job that payed the best because I don't like the basement in my moms house and dad just remarried a girl only 3 years older then me. I don't even want to go there.

I have my own apt and a decent car and am grateful but it takes a lot to make a life work and I just don't get crushed or depressed because I can't but designer boots anymore because I have expenses to pay. I probably don't sound like much fun huh?

So if I am sounding like an old fart it is because I am getting played with being young and dumb. I hope somebody else feels this way too! I'd hate to think I was the only one dealing with stuff like this.

It sounds to me that you are working hard, and paying your way and doing your best to live a life you want. It might not be 'fun' - but it certainly sounds a worthwhile endeavour. Congratulations! You're a grown-up:D

jaguarundi said:
It sounds to me that you are working hard, and paying your way and doing your best to live a life you want. It might not be 'fun' - but it certainly sounds a worthwhile endeavour. Congratulations! You're a grown-up:D

Thanks for that great message! I really needed that today!

skippyd said:
Hi everybody. I think I might be going through an early sort of mid life crisis. I'm only 26 but more and more I have been getting really tired of the materialism and shallow conversations I have with people. It's all about how we look, what we wear, what stuff we just bought and who is going out with who. There is more to life then that! I know I sound picky and judging and I'm not usually that way but this is bothering me.

I recently dumped my FB account. I like my stuff and going on trips as much as anybody but there has to be more to a person. I broke up with my fiance last year because he was more interested in HIM then me. I like a person with good self esteem, don't get me wrong..but he was pushing it into the narcissistic zone.

I'm graduated from college and am one of those unfortunates that can't find a job in the career field they made me believe I had to pick in HS and now I am $55,000 in debt and working and dancing in a club nights to pay it back.
I had to take the job that payed the best because I don't like the basement in my moms house and dad just remarried a girl only 3 years older then me. I don't even want to go there.

I have my own apt and a decent car and am grateful but it takes a lot to make a life work and I just don't get crushed or depressed because I can't but designer boots anymore because I have expenses to pay. I probably don't sound like much fun huh?

So if I am sounding like an old fart it is because I am getting played with being young and dumb. I hope somebody else feels this way too! I'd hate to think I was the only one dealing with stuff like this.

Sounds like you're coming to terms with the reality that most people spend their whole lives trying to avoid. It is a luxury to be able to spend your time gossiping about garbage like "how we look, what we wear, what stuff we just bought and who is going out with who".

Life takes WORK. If these were the olden days, we'd all be working from dawn to dusk doing back-breaking farm work, or hunting and gathering. To be able to spend your days worrying about looks and gossip is something that only the privileged and the spoiled can do.

At least, this is what I always tell myself when I hear people like what you describe. And oh yes, welcome to the forum. :)

skippyd said:

I can relate to the realization of the materialism of common society, I admit to being pretty materialistic but for me it's something that makes me comfortable... for some reason; for most it's almost like a statement - Look how MUCH i have!. I HATE gossip about what someone's done or doing with who and what, though. I don't really care for stuff like that; especially if I don't know the particular person. The way I see it is if they want me to know something, they'd tell me.

It's good you ditched facecrap, I find it's an exaggeration of the shallow society focused more on the social status/ladder than communication and connectivity.

Congratulations on graduation, unfortunately new graduates often find themselves (ironically) out of work for a while after they do graduate. It sucks you're loaded with a heavy debt but at least you have great prospects and I'm sure it won't be long term unemployment.

You're life does seem difficult at the moment and it's great that you're sticking to things and making the best of your situation. I bet most people in your situation would be worse off, I'm sure if you keep your mind to it you will come out good, you seems to have a determined attitude and that's a good asset. In the mean time kick back on this site with any problems you may have, it's good to talk about it sometimes!

Latest posts

Back