Friends, lovers or nothing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingDreamer

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
It's kind of weird to me, doing this, but never did it before, creating an account in a help forum, but I think I had enough of my situation.

So, I'm 23, a student in College, and with a big crush on one of my friends that I just can't expose to her for some reasons you'll read.

Let's say this is girl R.

Back to the start, I met this girl on Fall 2010, my 1st semester, and got allocated in the same group as girl R in one of my university integration subjects. I started to talk to her, didn't know anything about her at all, but was suspicious we could have a great friendship, nothing fancy because I was with a crush on another girl (say girl S) since my Highschool, but didn't get along with her in the summer to express my feelings, I had to wait some other opportunities.
So along the 1st year of college, I was kinda going to a depression because I didn't want to take the course I was in, since I found programming more interesting during one of the subjects, and I realized I wanted to go to Informatics. Girl R was always with me within many of the subjects because, as said before we instantly get along with each other, but she knew I had a crush for girl S, and I knew she wasn't interested in having something since she came out of a break up.

After 1st year, Summer/Fall 2011, I tried to change my course, which I failed to (was the 1st guy on the course transfer list to not get in). I just got tired, didn't know what to do with my education life, I knew I didn't want that. So girl R at the start of this year wasn't in the same classes I was, and we talked a little less with each other, so I turned again on girl S, and started to get along with her very well again, since she went to another course at the start of this year too, and she didn't know anyone at her college, so I usually lunched with her, go out and all.
Middle of 1st semester I receive great news, I was approved to change to informatics because one of the list failed to complete his transfer. Was one of the best days of my life, I would learn what I really wanted to do with my life.
Unfortunately, since I changed, I talked less and less with girl R, and since I had to catch up almost 1 year of subjects, had no time to get with girl S too.

After this year, on Summer 2012, finally got time to get back to girl S, and on a date with her, I told her my feelings and kissed her. She said she knew we had something special, but had to think if that was really the best for us and told me that she had to get some time to think about a relationship. I let her and didn't pressure anything. 1 month has passed and I discovered she started a relationship with a guy she met at her new college... this all in the time I stopped to talk to her. I was in shock, just because I retained to talk to her about the crush I had going for 2 years, just lost her. Was really mad with her, but also mad with myself for always putting school in priority all that year.

Meanwhile, late Summer, girl R tells me she isn't having a good time with the course too, and really wanted to change to mine (since she liked the programming, and her brother was in the last year of informatics too). I helped her along with all the documents to change, and she transferred at the 1st try. I was still thinking about girl S, but girl R started again to get mutual with me, we were good working partners again, and good friends.
So one day I talked to her about what happened last Summer, and how bad psychologically I was about liking anyone else. This was just as the 1st semester ended, in February 2013.
Then, 2nd semester started, but she had many subjects from 1st year that I already did last year, so I was spending less time with her, but still helping with what I could.
Finally, I got through girl S, and started looking to girl R as more than a friend, started to talk a lot more with her, but then one day, I heard "this guy from 1st grade is this and that...". I thought I ****ed up again, sobbing for the other girl who just wasted my time, I would lose once more for not doing the right thing at the right time.
Had mixed feelings until the last weeks of semester, when I really saw she was into the other dude, and then I started to get away from her, so I wouldn't be hurt again. She never knew why I stopped talking to her, but I had to stop thinking of her.
Summer 2013, she finally assumed the relationship with the other guy, I was heartbroken once again. I realized I couldn't be that way again, and said to girl S I had to have a talk with her, about what was wrong with both of us, since we never touched the subject since our last date. I just let her go after a great talk we had, and I just accepted I could be just her friend (we kinda got more apart anyway, talk much less, but I'm always up to help her if needed).

After this talk with girl S, I finally let girl R go off my mind too, and talked back to her almost at the end of Summer, and told about my conversation with girl S, and how R made me remember her this last year, but never touching the subject that I liked her in the first place, that would put us away.

So, year of 2013/2014, we got close again, but I never thought again about liking her, I met her boyfriend as well (he's a nice guy). I was just focused on my study, didn't care about having relationship with anyone, but she was getting more close to me, since the transfer she didn't meet many people, since everyone was younger than us, and different minded as we were. We were so close she always talked me problems she had in her family, or discussions she had with her boyfriend, but I tried not to care as much. She always says she was lost, this course wasn't her life goal at all, and until this day, she doesn't know what she wants to be. Me and her boyfriend were the 2 closest persons she had all the year, and always supporting her when she breaks down.

Then, in the last weeks of 2nd semester of last year, our group of friends we had from our 1st course, disbanded because of some projects problems (me, girl R, and 2 of my closest friends). I was "backstabed" in 2 projects by both of my guy friends, and until now I never talked to them again. So all last Summer I talked with R, about how we would do this new semester to come, about our subject projects and all.

Fall of 2014, 1st semester, me and her talked a lot more, getting closer and closer. She sometimes got mad with her boyfriend but never talked about a breakup, so I wasn't ever with the expectation I could do something, but always supported her, and had time to hear what she wanted to say. Just then I realized, I'm her emotional deposit all this time, despite me knowing she likes me a lot, I had the same feeling for her.

One day, she just get furious with her boyfriend and talked about breaking up. I just cracked. I heard that and I thought "I love her". But can't say that to her. Would never accept she would break up with her boyfriend for me. They reconciled and she spent this Christmas and the start of the year with him and all, in spite of always saying I'm one of the best persons in her life.

A little forward, this gets back to the present day. I'm still with this on my mind. Can't really say what I feel for her, since she told me her boyfriend is the love of her life, and after all the argues they have, they love each other.
I need to talk to her after our exams season, since I know she is a little down with this, not liking the course at all, but has to conclude it since she can't say to her parents that this isn't what she really wants.

So my question is "what should I do?".
I can't really go on without saying nothing, or giving another break on our friendship. Either way she will be broken.
If I tell her my feelings and all the story, I can't make her choose either side, so I must give it a time. If she chooses me I'll feel guilty, because I know her boyfriend is a straight up guy, and I don't want to be "that guy" that ****ed a relationship for his own well being. If she chooses him anyway, we would get apart since I hold this for too long anyway.
I can't just "go away" too, since it's sad, but I'm her only true friend in college, and I would be ok with myself either continue thinking about what could had been.
Or... should I just wait and suck it up as I did until now until I get crazy.

And this is the prelude of my story, and I'm here looking for the finish. Unfortunately will be a sad one taking all the possible outcomes.
Thanks for anyone who read all this long text, maybe It could be shorter, or I could put more details, but while I wrote it, was making me feeling good to share my feelings and turning this more "true" once it's anywhere else, other than in my mind.

Please, say all you want, if it's with good intention.
And sorry if the English isn't perfect. I'm trying my best since I need to practice more long texts instead of little "chat phrases".

I'll end with this quote, that makes the subtitle of my last love encounters:

“Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "It might have been.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Take care.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are a classic case of a white knight.
Girls R and S only and will only be interested in you for friendship if you are there for her.
I've heard this referred to on another board I am on, as a guy being nothing more than an emotional tampon for a girl.
Lamenting in perpetuity over what might have been is a waste of time, for it it is meant to be, it will.

What has either girl ever done for you? Don't make any excuses for them thinking about this.
Just following your story, there is no mention of either one going out of their way for you, feelings-wise.

My advice - be gone. For good. You will only create more anguish and frustration for yourself.
You obviously cannot handle a casual friendship with her, since you are "in love". Casual would mean it is no big deal to you if you hear from her or not. And, when you do, your world is not thrown off its axis.

Perhaps by disappearing for good, one or the other may come back some time in the future.
Hopefully, you won't really care if that happens.

I wholeheartedly agree with Abrokenman, these girls are using you as an emotional tampon and gave you no right to expect anything from them. One thing I would like to add is that, I think you don't have to fret so much about telling R your feelings. Because trust me, she knew you liked her all along. After so many years I'm sure she realized it, which only makes it worse, since she kept you hooked all this time, a faithful servant to satisfy her every need.

Run away from her and never look back, trust me she doesn't "need" you in any way, maybe as a project partner, but not as a friend. If she breaks up with her boyfriend, you will not be her next choice either, she will simply ignore your feelings and find someone else.

Cut her loose and find another woman to be interested in, someone that is really into you.

I, too, agree with the other two people. You have to think of what would be best for you, and not for her. If you don't these situations will only repeat themselves forever.

Sorry, gentlemen, but I must disagree with all three of you.
What I see is two girls that were his friends but he wanted more.
They were friends FIRST - how are they "using" him?
I read the post twice (no mean feat, lol) and all I see is a case where feelings aren't reciprocated.
That in no way means they used him. As I said, from what I read, they were friends before he mentioned his crushes/feelings.

Ps. Emotional tampon? Really? Why not say emotional codpiece... or just emotional sponge? Why a tampon??

Agree with Eve here.

What's wrong with being friends?
You'll quit being her friend because she doesn't want to be your girlfriend?

ABrokenMan said:
Girls R and S only and will only be interested in you for friendship if you are there for her.

Pretty sure that's the definition of friendship though.
Being there for each other.

Are you really gaining anything by staying friends with either one of them? Have they ever actually been a plus or helped you out with anything? It reads like you're not really good at being friends with women and they aren't really good people either honestly.

Rainbows said:

They've shown themselves to be pretty crappy friends too though. I'm not seeing why OP should even bother.

I find myself curious why the gentlemen are of the opinion that the girls have done something "wrong."
The only thing I really saw was Girl S saying she needed time to think and then chose someone else. Crappy to the OP? Likely.
However, it didn't really seem (from what the OP said) that she returned his feelings or lead him on. I saw nothing that Girl R did in any way to hurt him, other than she didn't share his feelings.
Am I missing something here?

EveWasFramed said:
I find myself curious why the gentlemen are of the opinion that the girls have done something "wrong."
The only thing I really saw was Girl S saying she needed time to think and then chose someone else. Crappy to the OP? Likely.
However, it didn't really seem (from what the OP said) that she returned his feelings or lead him on. I saw nothing that Girl R did in any way to hurt him, other than she didn't share his feelings.

The problem here is that girl R gave him false hope, because after that kiss she asked for some time to "think about it", and instead of halting his expectations by giving him a definite no she simply found someone else, leaving him to find out by himself and getting hurt in the progress. Either way you see it, friend or gf, she lead him on at both, only using him to take her frustrations with her bf on him later on.

EveWasFramed said:

If you are, then i am missing it also. They were friends. The OP wants to be more than friends. That at this point neither has found agreement with that idea means they used him?

EveWasFramed said:

Could have been honest and just said that she didn't like him that way. Instead of kissing and saying she'll "think about it" and then magically getting with some other guy out of nowhere. I'm not saying she's wrong for not liking op, but I just really would rather have the honest truth from my friends. I'm not really into being friends with people that don't communicate the way I do. That's why I say that no one is really good out of the whole situation. They are all kinda crappy friends imo.

Also OP hasn't posted the whole story of their friendship but just from his post it seems that they like to whine about their boyfriends to him while knowing that he likes them. That would get old pretty fast. Better to just not be friends at all. It's never going to be a positive experience for the OP unless he can magically turn off his feelings.

Rainbows said:
Agree with Eve here.

What's wrong with being friends?
You'll quit being her friend because she doesn't want to be your girlfriend?

ABrokenMan said:

There is no mention of either girl being there for our ALL member.
Friendship is a two way street. And if either girl really cared about him, they would tell him they are not interested in him romantically.

kamya said:
EveWasFramed said:

Could have been honest and just said that she didn't like him that way. Instead of kissing and saying she'll "think about it" and then magically getting with some other guy out of nowhere. I'm not saying she's wrong for not liking op, but I just really would rather have the honest truth from my friends. I'm not really into being friends with people that don't communicate the way I do. That's why I say that no one is really good out of the whole situation. They are all kinda crappy friends imo.

Also OP hasn't posted the whole story of their friendship but just from his post it seems that they like to whine about their boyfriends to him while knowing that he likes them. That would get old pretty fast. Better to just not be friends at all. It's never going to be a positive experience for the OP unless he can magically turn off his feelings.

Agreed.
These girls seem more like acquaintances than anything else.

What if she was interested but indeed wanted to think about it and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work? Why are girls always painted off as evil beings when they reject someone and just want to stay friends? Enlighten me.

Minus said:
EveWasFramed said:

If you are, then i am missing it also. They were friends. The OP wants to be more than friends. That at this point neither has found agreement with that idea means they used him?

Duh, Minus :rolleyes: if a girl only wants to be friends, she's using you! That's like common knowledge. :shy::rolleyes:

Did she tell him that directly? Doesn't he deserve to know that?

And this being friends seems like a consolation prize / parting gift from a TV game show than a genuine desire for friendship.
I don't see why it is so difficult not to say "I"m sorry, but I sense you feel very strongly about me in a romantic way. I don't. I'm not being hurtful, just honest. I hope you'll understand."

Rainbows said:
What if she was interested but indeed wanted to think about it and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work? Why are girls always painted off as evil beings when they reject someone and just want to stay friends? Enlighten me.

Because she never gave a direct answer. Think if you had a friend that you really like, you go out on dates with them, share a kiss maybe, and he says "I'll think about it" when you want more. Then you hear nothing so you are just kind of waiting for an answer and then, next time you see him he introduces his new girlfriend to you. It's not wrong of them to find someone else but I just don't think that's the right way to communicate things between friends.

I'm not painting the girls as evil for wanting to stay friends. But most time it's better not to stay friends if it's just going to hurt one person. It's not really a person's fault for not sharing the same feelings. I just don't like the way anything was handled by anyone in this story.

kamya said:
Could have been honest and just said that she didn't like him that way.

But....how do you know she wasn't being honest when she said she needed to think about it? Maybe she felt like she was put on the spot?
Maybe she DID think about it and she didn't share his feelings?
I can't disagree that she should have gotten back to him about it, but I don't see that it makes her an ogre. Maybe she was afraid to lose him as a friend because she cares about him?
Just seems like people are jumping to conclusions here without enough info.

kamya said:
Also OP hasn't posted the whole story of their friendship but just from his post it seems that they like to whine about their boyfriends to him while knowing that he likes them. That would get old pretty fast.

Some people vent to their friends. Usually it's good friends.
They have always been "friends" remember? BEFORE he mentioned anything about liking them.

kamya said:
Better to just not be friends at all. It's never going to be a positive experience for the OP unless he can magically turn off his feelings.

Given the OP's desire for them both, I'd say you were likely right on this. If he can't separate the friendship from the romantic desire, maybe it's for the best.

ABrokenMan said:
There is no mention of either girl being there for our ALL member.
Friendship is a two way street. And if either girl really cared about him, they would tell him they are not interested in him romantically.

Not sure I agree - they did projects and so forth together for school, which is how they became friends. I see nothing that the OP mentioned that suggested they bailed on him (as friends).

ABrokenMan said:
Could have been honest and just said that she didn't like him that way. They are all kinda crappy friends imo.

Why do you automatically she was being dishonest just because she said she wanted to think about it? Maybe she DID think about it.
I agree (as I said above) that she should have gotten back to him about it.
I've also stated that maybe the girls felt like that got put on the spot.

ABrokenMan said:
These girls seem more like acquaintances than anything else.

Maybe they DO consider themselves acquaintances and weren't comfortable with him expressing his feelings and didn't know how to deal with it? Just a thought.

ABrokenMan said:
Did she tell him that directly? Doesn't he deserve to know that?

She should have, yes. But I've already posted my thoughts thoughts on that.

ABrokenMan said:
And this being friends seems like a consolation prize / parting gift from a TV game show than a genuine desire for friendship.

umm...I can't agree with this at all. They were friends FIRST. The friendship was already there - how can it be a consolation prize??

kamya said:
But most time it's better not to stay friends if it's just going to hurt one person. It's not really a person's fault for not sharing the same feelings. I just don't like the way anything was handled by anyone in this story.

I can agree with this mostly.

Minus said:

^^ Agreed.

Latest posts

Back