Gifted? More like cursed.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonely Anon

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am posting here in a hope that you can do what countless proffesionals have tried for over two years: help me. (Or atleast try to cheer me up and/or troll me)

Before I continue, I'd like to tell a little (a lot) about myself:
I have always been lonely, never had a friend, and always been bullied. In first grade, I supposedly had ADHD (which was later proven wrong). I was very agressive so I got special treatment. Everyone could do whatever they wanted to me, all the teacher told me was "you have to endure a little" (quote lost in translation). I could however do nothing to them. So I had a problem which I think they learned to abuse at some point: If someone hit me in the arm, I could: not tell an adult, that would result with an "endure" speech; not hit them back, that would result in a lost break or other forms for punishment; not do nothing, that would result in more bullying. In fifth class, we moved.

I decided to changed and start a new life. I went from as agressive as possible, to as passive as possible. Once again, I became a victim for bullying. This time I got the teachers on my side though. Later, I heard that I ended up in the worst class in my town. I also started to wonder why everyone were so stupid. They used a week to learn what I learnt in a day. I also more and more found the subjects boring and repetive. After a year of "It will get better!", "You can't expect to get friends right away.", etc. and a few weeks dropped out of school, I changed school again, to what was supposed to be one the best (seventh grade now). Ironically, it got worse for me as I was no longer (activly) bullied. (Atleast I thought) people would no longer understand why my life was terrible. (I thought) they wouldn't understand that I still got no friends and was dying of loneliness. After two weeks in school, I learned that our math teach never checked our work. I was so happy I could finally skip all that dreaded math (I love math by the way). This was because I started to think the math teachers had a competition called who can force as many 20+20s as possible on a sheet?

I then heard about a private school that some of the girls in my class were going to go to. I checked it out, thought it was an elite school full of nerds, and applied (this is middle school). I got shocked when I started for two reasons: 1. It wasn't and elite school full of nerds *sadface*. 2. The subjects here was actually challenging compared to public school. I had to turn off my cruiser control and actually study. I had never studied before so it didn't go so well. People were also more hostile here. So not only was I friendless, shocked by this new thing called studying, the bullying was also returning. It was all to much for me. I dropped out of school, became pedophobic (NO! Not the fear of pedophiles! The fear of kids!), and developed quite a few other fears.

My familiy life is not any better. My dad is sick and don't have the energy to to do much, not even work. My mother is very tired too, having to do all the work. Neither of us have any close friends, so we're only with each other. This results in a very tense relationship where we're all tired of each other. My parents fight all the time and even use divorce as a threat (happend twice this year).

At some point during my 'help', they found out I was gifted (that is, around 160IQ). After that, I've understood the reason most of this happend. Why I felt different from the other kids (, thus, getting no friends), why I thought they were stupid, why school was boring, and a lot more.

So here I am. Lying in my bed at 08am. because I couldn't sleep all nigth due to stress and depression. Not been to school for half a year. Not getting an education. Most likely wasted my gift *cough* curse *cough*. With who know how many psychical problems.

At the ago of 15, all I look forward to is death.

I blame the society for my problems. If they could just accept 'us' instead of feeling threatened(?), everything would be much better for everyone. Also there is very little proffesional help for 'us'. Mentally challenged get all kind of help. So I'd like you to think about this: Is it utterly impossible that 'we' are just as vulnerable, fragile and in need of assistance as mentally challenged? Is it fair that mentally challenged get all kind of help, care and love? You are a f***ing ******* if you say something mean to a mentally challenged. 'We', on the other hand are ignored. It was shocking, how some of those proffesionals supposed to help me, denyed that my intelligence could be relevant to my problems at all! Now 2 years later, they (big surprise) didn't manage to 'fix' me.

So why must higher intelligence equal less friends?

And yes, I do have social skills. I go perfectly fine with anyone who know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'. This is for the most part people who are 5+ years older than me. And I am not really interested in a BFF who is 1/3 older than me.

And please, no "We can be friends! *mail*", "Suicide is not the answer!", "You suck", "If your (<- intended error) so smart why dont you fix your own life?", "No social skills!", etc..

What's your current IQ score, out of curiousity?

Higher intelligence can indeed isolate people as I was. Ultimately, part of intelligence is learning to deal with issues such as bullying, which can never be pleasant. I was homeschooled myself and avoided most people until I was 16 when I got into college.

There are always the few people who make the rest worthwhile, I find.

I would never have taken the IQ test if I knew it was one. I assume it is still Round 160IQ? I don't know what kind of effect a constant depressed state does to my brain though.

I sometime wish I could just hit myself in the head with a bat to become normal.

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/stress.html

Constant stress, which may be a symptom of depression, is genuinely harmful to the brain. Normalcy is overrated, btw. I'm not 'normal', nor do I have any interest in being 'normal'; but that is afer having used my resources and capabilities to find happiness.

If you think you still have 130+ IQ, see if you can join the Mensa society. You'll find people in common, which is a hell of a lot better than trying to suck up and be 'normal' with a bunch of inbred druggie morons that make up the majority of teens these days.

And yes, we're still human. We're just as fragile as anyone else in many ways; but do you really need to give so much consideration to the chirping of crickets? That's part of the issue. You give too much of a **** for what people who you clearly know are stupid and what they say. If a severely retarded boy kept screaming at you and how stupid you are, would you be bothered and believe him, or feel pity for him?

I am living a very unhealthy life in other words. I don't mind. My terrible life will just end faster then.

Also heard being friendless is as bad as alcohol.

Lonely Anon said:
I am living a very unhealthy life in other words. I don't mind. My terrible life will just end faster then.

Alcohol is definitely worse; it causes visible sponge-hole gaps in neural connectivity while stress causes shriveling but not usually cell death. Stress is more akin to malnutrition in a population, while alcohol is the actual poisoning of a population if an analogy was to be used. Either way, both alcoholic as well as stress damage can recover significantly, while its not swift and it may never completely recover(in the case of alcohol, which is terrible), brain cells do regenerate and increased interconnectivity can compensate even when they don't.

You can find friends and a solution for your loneliness if you apply strategies from your intelligence to that end. Consider that if you die now, you will have no opportunities for happiness besides presumed afterlife; whereas if you continue living and find the solution the puzzles that bother you, then you will be happy and that afterlife will come eventually.

Logical, yes?

Lonely Anon said:

Alcohol is definitely worse; it causes visible sponge-hole gaps in neural connectivity while stress causes shriveling but I don't believe it is comparable. Either way, both alcoholic as well as stress damage can recover significantly, while its not swift and it may never completely recover(in the case of alcohol, which is terrible), brain cells do regenerate and increased interconnectivity can compensate even when they don't.

You can find friends and a solution for your loneliness if you apply strategies from your intelligence to that end. Consider that if you die now, you will have no opportunities for happiness besides presumed afterlife; whereas if you continue living and find the solution the puzzles that bother you, then you will be happy and that afterlife will come eventually.

Logical, yes?

Said being friendless, not stressed is as bad as alcohol. And yes, it is very easy to say "Use your intellect to get friends". Sadly, I am now so sociophobic that I avoid even going outside. And kids my own age? I almost panic each time I see one. I automatically think of the worst thing he/she could do, and a way to counter it.

The worst part? I clearly see the situation getting worser every month!

Lonely Anon said:
Said being friendless, not stressed is as bad as alcohol.

Its related, of course. One is the cause, the other is the effect.

Lonely Anon said:
And yes, it is very easy to say "Use your intellect to get friends". Sadly, I am now so sociophobic that I avoid even going outside. And kids my own age? I almost panic each time I see one. I automatically think of the worst thing he/she could do, and a way to counter it.

I've been there, done that. I used to be so sociophobic that just having to talk to anyone would cause me to exhibit psychosomatic symptoms including paralysis, a sensation of a cold spine, genuine panic attacks, and other fun things. I had to deal with all those things when I was 16.

There's no point to talking to most kids your age at the moment; I know it sucks, but such is the way. But don't blame the wrong cause - the reason why you can't get along is because they are 1)mean and 2)stupid. Therefore, they are ********, but that doesn't mean you should blame yourself.

Instead, focus on where you can fit in. I'm sure that not everything triggers the sociophobia, as I did not when I was talking to professors and other people who focused on education(I did well for school). As I result, I did end up talking to them often..and after college, I found a lot of people who looked for me to talk to me because they wanted me to help them out in class. Of course, they just wanted to use me, but its valuable to realize that you have something meaningful to give and that intellect is useful, right?

I realize that I was saying this to myself at a younger age, I wouldn't have believed it either when I was so much depressed. But at least take some heart in knowing that I was, in some ways, where you are now, and I did "get better?"

Not much I can do as long as I am in my room all day. Also hard to gather the energy when I have nothing positive to think about and I haven't sleept before 6am. since last week.

My situation is Getting worse and worse.
Atleast I have you that understand me.

I've found myself in situations like these as well during my childhood, with the exception of the 160 IQ points, but quite frankly, I think Ignored One here has said most of the important things already.

I do, however, have to add that what you said about "If your (<- intended error) so smart why dont you fix your own life?" DOES have a small amount of truth to it - I believe you are most certainly smart enough to thoroughly analyze every possible social situation, and you probably know how you could adapt to them. The question is, perhaps, are you willing to adapt? Friendships aren't necessarily about two people being absolutely equal in every aspect, and having a "friend" by no means equates being able to share the very depths of your soul with said person. Sometimes it can also be enjoyable to just allow yourself to indulge in the "stupid entertainment of the masses". There's a reason why stupid people are more happy in general - they can enjoy really, really simple things. And by that I don't mean you inmediately need to start binge drinking, especially not in the area where you're from, but have faith that there's also joy to be had in activities that don't require an IQ of 140+.

Lonely Anon said:
Not much I can do as long as I am in my room all day. Also hard to gather the energy when I have nothing positive to think about and I haven't sleept before 6am. since last week.

How is it getting worse? More depressed?

What do you presently do that makes you happy? Video games? Anything that you do?

i definitely do not feel cursed for being a little smarter than average.
although i keep it pretty much to myself, no one needs or wants to know theyre stupid.
specialy when your younger, kids are not gonne like you if you let them know theyre stupid.
i made it through my school years pretty much in one piece by not getting notised to much.
keeping to myself, they all bored the crap out of me anyway so i didnt really mind.
i pretty much sailed through all the boring school stuff without ever studying as wel.
but i was pleasantly surprised when it got hard enough that i actually had to pay atention.
i had gotten a little lazy, and it took a little adjusting but i enjoyed studying things I actually had to study for.
there are ways to avoid the whole social part and dealing with ******* kids.

as for getting help.
just remember the people you go to are probably not as smart as you are.
being smarter means you need to have a lot of patience dealing with people that arent as smart.
and rubbing it in their face usualy doesnt help much.
but im guessing youre smart enough to drop some subtle hints to let them know when theyre being stupid.

It's a blessing....And a curse.

I'm honestly speechless, cause we are very much alike. The most important thing right now is get back to school, a new one and start anew. Use your intelligence wisely, don't over-think, don't over-analyze; just go with the flow. Me, I'm going back to school with a fresh mind with confidence, I too had a shitty Middle School experience (sure I ate alone for 3 years and had nobody to talk to for those entire 3 years, but I at least saw other people; that's what I miss the most, people).

Ak5 said:
It's a blessing....And a curse.

I'm honestly speechless, cause we are very much alike. The most important thing right now is get back to school, a new one and start anew. Use your intelligence wisely, don't over-think, don't over-analyze; just go with the flow. Me, I'm going back to school with a fresh mind with confidence, I too had a shitty Middle School experience (sure I ate alone for 3 years and had nobody to talk to for those entire 3 years, but I at least saw other people; that's what I miss the most, people).

I have changed school three times already.
First time I thought "I am going to start a new peacefull life! This is amazing".
Second time I thought "I am going from the worst class to the the best one. THIS IS AMAZING!".
And the thrid time, I thought "This school will be full of nerds... This is amazing!"

I was disappointed each time. Unless I dumb myself down, go with the flow, and live a life that isn't mine, no I am going to handle being in middle school.

AND NO! I am not willing to drop everything I like and start doing stuff I couldn't care less about, just to get some fake, uninteresting friends.

IgnoredOne said:
Lonely Anon said:

How is it getting worse? More depressed?

What do you presently do that makes you happy? Video games? Anything that you do?

It is getting worse in all kind of ways. In the last month I started to have problems sleeping. Started out with sleeping at 12-2am, then droped down to 4am, then 6am, and now I rarely sleep at night at all. (My first post was at around 8am after a sleepless night.

I like to play EVE online and playing around with java.

Vagrant Legacy said:
I've found myself in situations like these as well during my childhood, with the exception of the 160 IQ points, but quite frankly, I think Ignored One here has said most of the important things already.

I do, however, have to add that what you said about "If your (<- intended error) so smart why dont you fix your own life?" DOES have a small amount of truth to it - I believe you are most certainly smart enough to thoroughly analyze every possible social situation, and you probably know how you could adapt to them. The question is, perhaps, are you willing to adapt? Friendships aren't necessarily about two people being absolutely equal in every aspect, and having a "friend" by no means equates being able to share the very depths of your soul with said person. Sometimes it can also be enjoyable to just allow yourself to indulge in the "stupid entertainment of the masses". There's a reason why stupid people are more happy in general - they can enjoy really, really simple things. And by that I don't mean you inmediately need to start binge drinking, especially not in the area where you're from, but have faith that there's also joy to be had in activities that don't require an IQ of 140+.

I was told my brains is in many ways like a 20 year's one after the test. Is a 20 year old capable to fix all their problems alone? Doubt it.
Does a 20+ year old mind fit into middle school? Strongly doubt it.

Also the top of this post also fits here.

With those number, I hope it is easier to understand how it is to be me.

Come on, I can't believe that everyone in the town/city you live in are idiots. Find the nerdy group!

In my Middle School there was the nerds and the "others". It was funny, cause the nerd group (my class, I still didn't make a single friend though) were quite normal, dressed appropriately, never got into trouble, and got all A's and B's. The rest of the school, whole different ballgame; got into trouble, an f word with every single sentence, got horrible grades, stealing, drugs, and so on. The atmosphere between the "advances/honors" classes and the "regular" classes was astonishing. In my classes, I didn't mind anyone, they didn't look like they caused trouble; one of my teachers was out one day and I got stuck in the "regular" class for that period, I kept my belongings close to me because everyone looked like they were going to mug me lol.

Anyway, find your group, it's as simple as that.

Lonely Anon said:
I was disappointed each time. Unless I dumb myself down, go with the flow, and live a life that isn't mine, no I am going to handle being in middle school.

AND NO! I am not willing to drop everything I like and start doing stuff I couldn't care less about, just to get some fake, uninteresting friends.

Don't dumb yourself down. The issue is that most people your age will be those 'fake, uninteresting friends."

Really, just focus on getting into college. Your brain is approximately 20 years old, you mentioned, so just focus on that and you'll be working with people 18-19 year old. You should be able to get along better with them, if a bit precocious. That's what I did, and yes, its a little bit tough, but you'll definitely notice the advantage of your intelligence when girls ask you to help you with homework.

It does suck to be younger than everyone else, but trust me on this - you'll come to appreciate in time. By the time you're 23 and a manager, and those bullies have to work for you, life is going to be pretty **** sweet.

Lonely Anon said:
It is getting worse in all kind of ways. In the last month I started to have problems sleeping. Started out with sleeping at 12-2am, then droped down to 4am, then 6am, and now I rarely sleep at night at all. (My first post was at around 8am after a sleepless night.

I like to play EVE online and playing around with java.

I have problems with sleep too. Life seems too interesting at times to sleep; there's so much to do and then I have to sleep. It gets frustrating. Ak5 here also have issues sleeping, and he's also quite a bit more ahead than most people his age.

Most directly to help with your depression and sleeplessness, I actually recommend working out more. Working out improves dopamine levels, which will help you feel better and will also regular your sleep better. It will also improve your appearance, which is part of human interaction(a large part at times), your overall health and vigor, and has some subsidary improvement to your intelligence as well.

And hah, I played EVE too. Do you know of mittenai? He was a hero to me, and I did the same thing he did in another game, in fact. Its a great game and has plenty of real-world dynamics; its an excellent lab for all sorts of real-world applications and theories. The great thing about online is that you are not limited by your real age, but by your intellectual age; so right now, I imagine you can face challenges and deal with positions that a 20 year old could be expected to do.

Run with it, take advantage of it; get experience. Hell, you do Java. See if you can program a game, learn about the trails and perils of it; learn about how to find help, and the frustrations inherent; feel the triumph of a good project that's successful, even in a bit.

Life can be /fun/. Just don't limit and surround yourself with idiots just because they're the most common people around you IRL; the net provides a wonderful medium for communication, take advantage of it.

Heck, you've met a few other people like yourself such as me just by making a post here. That's better than you've done in years in school, no?

Lonely Anon said:
I was told my brains is in many ways like a 20 year's one after the test. Is a 20 year old capable to fix all their problems alone? Doubt it.
Does a 20+ year old mind fit into middle school? Strongly doubt it.

Also the top of this post also fits here.

With those number, I hope it is easier to understand how it is to be me.

That's a great reply and an excellent encapsulation of what IQ means. Well spoken.

I too have a high IQ (have never looked into joining MENSA, that's a very interesting idea IO) and I can sympathise with some of the issues you mention.

IO's pretty much said it all. Always be yourself, being artifical and crafting a lesser personality for yourself will only attract people that are also fake or at best not anything like the people you want to be around.

IMO, intelligence is always a blessing. Always. Even though it may mean you feel isolated or even get you treated badly (especially around your age, morons seem to enjoy making life hard for their more intelligent peers in early teen years, I think it's jealousy mostly).

It's just a little peek into your natural capabilities really. Think of it like that rather than a core aspect of your personality.

I'll stop now because I'm really tired at the moment and I don't feel like I'm helping much. Your situation should improve when you get a little older and other people start catching up to your maturity, which clearly surpasses your years at the moment.

Having said that...I'm 20, and people still seem to think vomiting their guts up is an intelligent and creative use of time, so I guess that's not entirely true :p

EDIT - I will just quickly add, always make sure you are challenged with the work set to you. My mathematics skills got dulled by years of being trapped in a class that was moving far too slowly, I'm still catching up on numeracy techniques as a result, even though I was more than capable of doing it all. So if you ever feel like work is too easy, make sure you vocalise that early and make the most of your potential :)

Yes, I can't wait till college and stuff like that. Sadly, I'n not sure if I'll be able to enter unless I somehow manage to fight my fear and start school/studying.

Also calling 'them' morons/stupid/etc. is wrong. 'They' are the average A.K.A. normal.

Lonely Anon said:
Yes, I can't wait till college and stuff like that. Sadly, I'n not sure if I'll be able to enter unless I somehow manage to fight my fear and start school/studying.

I assume you're American, so..

Take the GED, which will give you automatic high school equivalency. Then you can skip going to school for three years if you want to. Or if you want to do what I did: take the GED, then the SAT and ACT. Take SAT II for college credit, avoiding a number of freshman classes. You can do all of that without ever actually going to school, just be good at testing.

You can then just apply to university, and your young age will be a huge plus for being precocious; you can also spend the time getting other experience or simply enroll to a local community college where the rates are cheap for your first two years, then transfer credits. The last is what I did.

Life is time; you have more opportunities than most by being able to be ahead. You can truly accomplish virtually anything you want - more so than many people that adage is told to, so why be depressed? And yes, this includes fighting off your sociophobia. I managed that eventually, and I'll be happy to talk about it if you think it helps.

Lonely Anon said:

Also calling 'them' morons/stupid/etc. is wrong. 'They' are the average A.K.A. normal.

I wasn't referring to "normal" people with that, I apologise. I should have been clearer.

I was referring to the very-below-average, anti-social, violent types! Of course, to refer to the majority of people as "morons" would be very offensive :)

Latest posts

Back