Girls and Phone Numbers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
There was this party recently with this girl I have a bit of a crush on there. She invited me along completely out of the blue, so I didn't really know anyone.

Anyway, I spent most of the evening getting to know all these friends of her's. At one point, I was talking to someone I'd just met and eventually he surprised me by suddenly suggesting (pretty strongly) that I should ask out the girl that invited me. Feeling bolstered by that, I started talking to her more. At one point in the evening we were actually sharing a plate of food together and stuff, and there was a lot of arm-touching going on.

So...time comes to leave, and I want to perhaps ask her if she wants to meet up, but not in a completely left-of-field surprise way. I start to think about what to say.

Suddenly this other girl who I only talked to for about 5 minutes comes over and insists on giving me her number. She was very drunk, so it took her literally ten minutes to key it in (under the name "Sex" no less!), and the whole time I felt awkward. Anyway, I said bye to her and go over to the other girl to say goodbye.

I was a little drunk, I gave her a big hug and I think I kissed her cheek too. Then she said we'll meet soon and...that was it. I totally failed to ask for her number! I didn't even plan anything out with her. That was weeks ago, and now I feel a bit lame about it. I can't believe I ended up with the number of someone totally random instead of the girl I've known for a while and have an interest in :\

What's more, she saw that random girl giving me the number and probably thought I liked her or something. Do you think I acted like a bit of a dick here, or was it just rather poor timing and a case of post-hug brainfreeze? :(

I think also your inebriated state played a bit into that, but dude you had the perfect opportunity when she's said you'd meet up soon, you should have said, hey let me give you my number. It doesn't always have to be the girl to give her number out. Sometimes when you do that the other person will give you theirs in exchange, then you know that the person is interested. And you could have made a joke about the drunk sex girl, but hey at least you have her number for back up. LOL I'm just kidding :p

The big thing I'm wondering is why you let it go weeks?! So what if you didn't get her number that night. Get it the next day, or within a few days. Find her on facebook if you never see her in person, or get it from one of your mutual friends. Don't let it eat at you for weeks and then have to post it on this forum.

All that being said, maybe it's still not too late. Get that number now and call her!

Limlim said:
Or just dial the number in your phone marked "sex"

yes I was thinking that, why not see if anything happens with the very drunk one ? Shouldn't just dismiss her because she had too much to drink. She might be a lovely girl.

Sci-Fi said:
but dude you had the perfect opportunity when she's said you'd meet up soon, you should have said, hey let me give you my number.

This is what I was thinking, if she saw you taking this other girls number you could have explained that you only took it so she wouldn't feel embarrassed so she doesn't feel your some sort of stud.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I was a little drunk, I gave her a big hug and I think I kissed her cheek too. Then she said we'll meet soon and...that was it. I totally failed to ask for her number! I didn't even plan anything out with her. That was weeks ago, and now I feel a bit lame about it. I can't believe I ended up with the number of someone totally random instead of the girl I've known for a while and have an interest in :\

What's more, she saw that random girl giving me the number and probably thought I liked her or something. Do you think I acted like a bit of a dick here, or was it just rather poor timing and a case of post-hug brainfreeze? :(
Doesn't matter if she saw that random girl give you her number. The fact is as a woman she did her part by giving an indicator of interest, but you failed as a man to ask for her number.

You just have to let it pass until you see her again (by chance?). There's really no point dwelling on it. I understand that you probably like her a lot, but just let the thought pass and don't keep on imagining/wishing situations where you would meet her again :)

Triple Bogey said:
Limlim said:

yes I was thinking that, why not see if anything happens with the very drunk one ? Shouldn't just dismiss her because she had too much to drink. She might be a lovely girl.

I can think of a reason why not; beer goggles. She might not actually find him attractive/attractive enough to be with. (Disclaimer: I've never even had a sip, so I don't know how real that phenomenon actually is.)

murmi97 said:
Triple Bogey said:
Limlim said:

I can think of a reason why not; beer goggles. She might not actually find him attractive/attractive enough to be with. (Disclaimer: I've never even had a sip, so I don't know how real that phenomenon actually is.)

sending one text can't hurt that much

There's about 50 things you could have done. Really, there's no excuse to talk to someone you aren't interested in. You're leading them on.

If you don't want to date a girl, be polite, and maybe chat with her for a little bit - but be sure it's clear you're not interested. Just don't be mean about it.

Really, that's only one thing you could have done, that still leaves 49 more options. If you're not interested in some one, they aren't going to talk to you. And since you don't really want a relationship, you shouldn't have lead them on in the first place. It's as simple as that.

You should call her and apologize for leading her on, maybe offer to take her to dinner as an apology.

^^ I don't see how he lead anyone on. I definitely don't see any reason to apologise for anything.

It sounds like the girl who invited you was definitely interested Solitaryman. You could still try asking for her number if you have any way of getting in contact but I feel like you've probably left it too late. Just take it as a lesson for next time. There's plenty of other girls out there.

You can make some kind of a big romantic gesture to make it up for not asking for her number.

Something like going under her window in the night, holding a stereo over your head that is playing a song by David Hasselhoff, having a circle of roses around you, and screaming:
,,I love you baby! I´m sorry I didnt ask for your number! Please, forgive me! Please, Baby, I love you, we are meant to be!"
And when the most emotional part of the song comes up, the real David Hasselhoff will come in singing along with a band of mexican musicians, and talking when there are singing the background: ,,He really loves you girl! Dont let him go, no no no! Hes the one! One you are the one for him, ou!"
As he does that, you will secretly disappear, only to get in your new red cabriolet car, drifting in her lawn (more you destroy it, the more apparent it will be that you love her), wearing leather jacket and sunglasses (doesnt matter that its night), and say: ,,So what about it baby? Can I take you for a ride?" chewing a bubble gum with your mouth open, looking at her with behind the sunglasses.
At this point, its clear that she will accept, considering you showed her what a cool guy you are.
As she comes down smiling, and sits next to you in your cabrio, David Husselhoff will come by like ,,hey can I get my pay?" and you will puch him in the stomach as he drops on his knees. No explaining, just turn around at her, smile, take out the buble guy from your mouth with a bare hand, and stick it down your car desk. With the same hand, still from the mouth secrets, you grab her leg saying ,,I couldnt wait to have nice taste of this yummy thing" as you strengthen your grip.
Then, look forward, grab the wheel with both of your hand, and after few seconds of your wheels burning, you accelerate with unforeseen speed.

And from there, I think you can take it.

So dont be sad that it didnt worked out the last time, as you see, there is a way of making up for that.

And no need to thank me, I´m that kind of guy that just knows what to do in situations like this;)

(Sorry if this joke was untimely or just plain bad...Its just a joke.. Otherwise, I think that she likes you:) And thats great, right? Considering she likes you, she may like your shy side as well, so not asking for her number may not be that much of a deal. Facebook, or if you are seeing her somewhere, I think that if you get together, admitting you are bit ashamed for yourself for not being brave enough to ask for the number, and complimenting her that its because of her, as she is making you nervous, and all is good. If you weren't brave enough last time, you can be now.)

Don't overthink things. You don't know what she thought of the exchange, so you really, really have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back