Going to meet someone from a dating, any advice?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been lonely for a long time, but this might change soon. I've been talking to someone on a dating website, and we might meet each other this weekend.

Here are a few details about this situation:
- I'm in my mid-20's and she's 40 (I don't have a problem with this, and neither does she...I'm a dude, btw)
- I still live with my parents, not sure how she'll react to this
- I don't have much money to spend, not sure how she'll react to this either
- I'm not that experienced when it comes to romance, not sure if I should tell her this

I think I'm taking the necessary precautions in case this meeting turns out to be not what I expect. Any other advice is helpful though.

I've never dated someone older than me, especially not this much older. Am I attracted to older woman, I guess I'd say that. In any case, I figure it's better to meet her and see where it goes.

Lots of women like younger men. I think as long as you have ambitions to move from your parents house she will be ok with that and money isn't everything. Hope y'all have a great time :)

I don't see why she wouldn't be understanding of the concerns you've brought up. You're young, it's a positive that you don't have much experience romantically!
And if she doesn't want to be with you because of money, then count yourself lucky that you weeded her out before you discovered her shallowness in another way.
When it comes to the housing situation, it seems odd to me that people find it to be a negative to live at home. In most of the world, children live with parents until they get married. It's only in priviledged societies where living at home is considered uncool. Living with your family is an honor. Families (as long as they are not abusive) should be united, not divided.
Good luck with your date. It's great you like older women. A woman who has lived longer may be more worldly and be a better conversationalist. I wish you the best :)

Sometimes older women are more direct in what they want in a man since they are near the end of their "sexy days". So treat her your 16 year old high school sweet heart and she will love you for it. I would bring up anything heavy on the first date unless she asks. So no talking about how many sex partners and how your parents are on your case about you moving out.

Act natural, don`t pretend to be someone your not.

If you have a meal with her and you can`t afford the bill, ask her to split the bill with you, it`s a lot better than paying all your money and then leaving her to make up the difference.

Most importantly Enjoy yourself :)

You don't have a problem with it now, but imagine her at 60 and you at 45. That gap might be less tolerable. It seems to me that IF the idea is to work towards a serious, long term relationship, that is something to consider. I can't do age gaps that large. I wouldn't want a woman that much younger than me because I'd feel it is unfair to her.

Yes be natural, be yourself. Also listen to your little voice inside ( no not the crazy one) the wise one that tells you if this is right or not. Pay attention to what she is saying. And have fun !!!

Pezza said:
Act natural, don`t pretend to be someone your not.

^ This ^

First well done you for meeting someone you like, just remember to relax and enjoy yourself, I’m sure she’d be just as nervous as meeting you so don’t panic.

I wouldn’t worry about living with your parents or not having so much money at this point. If this is just the first date then they shouldn’t even be a concern, they may be in the future but at this early stage they shouldn’t come into play.

Plus with the age difference I’m sure she’s not expecting you to be a sex god so don’t feel you have to act up or over-perform to compensate. Just remember to smile, have a nice time, and breathe! :D

Yeah I'd say just be yourself.
Just express an interest in the things she has to say, get to know her, and most importantly enjoy yourself. :)

Shes hell on heels....man.lol
It depends on the person.
Some women in their 40s
sfill take care of their body
And still are. very sexy and
Sexually active..
Even in the boobs department.
Some womens boobs remains perky.

Shes mature in many ways...
She acts young , its becuase of
chioce...

Dont get ahead of yourself.
But if she comes on to you..don't
Freak out either.

If you play your cards right
She can be your sugar mama...

She might be a vixen for all you know.

Boy toy.lol

It depends on her econamics
Background.
If shes a professional or well
Established in her career.
In other words financially secured.
And her children are all
grown up....

Shes gonna be more free spirited. Shell do as she
pleases...

If she had cosmatic surgery,
Shell look like a 30 year old.

It depends, some people still
Younger then their age.

Bad news...I don't think her and I are going to meet.

It's a **** shame, but I'm not completely upset about it. I'm surprised though, she seemed enthusiastic about meeting.

I'm sorry to hear that, girls on dating sites tend to be flakey like that :(

That is why I hate talking stuff up because people usaully ask how things went and it makes you feel even worse when you tell them it didn't happen.

It looks like I'll have to resort to the old-fashioned way of meeting women -- walking up to an attractive woman and striking up a conversation with her.

UPDATE: It seemed like there was some miscommunication issues, and I'm going to meet this lady tomorrow.
And yes, I'll fill everyone on the details.

Yeap...the samething happened to
Me on a dating site..a woman in
My age range...
She kept string me along..
Other women would talk to me too
But it was total bullshit for me.
Then i did the long distant thing with
An Ex. Settle our difference. Talking
All noght and get texts during my days.
It was fun while it lasted. But we couldn't
Move to the next level...

Face to Face is the real deal.
Id get rejected or accepted without
The song and dance.
It required that i have seroous balls.
A bit rusty at flitting with women.
I got bettet as i went.
Of course i hit that stage of too many women
because they all just became like human
Conveyor..it was a numbers and percentage
game....
As always as soon as i think i have it all
Figure out.Having a bit of fun and a bit

Bored......
Is this it?
Is this all there is?
SomeOne had to go drop a major bomb shell on me. The FB thing and the long distance stuff again.....
Seriously, I never expected her
To drive 1500 miles to be with
Me because of my past experience....
Well she showed up.
It totally blew my mind.
She totally blew my mind.
I dont have this figure out yet.lol

I know life is what we make of it. But at the sametime I feel
Theres greater forces driving
My life also.

Something are ment to be.
Trying to align myself with
This force is a bit of a challenge for me....
Because things happens beyound my control sometimes.
Sometime it gose in my favor..and ive havnt taking
any actions for things to swimg im my favor.
Othersimes i can take all the proper actions
That produce positvie results...it all blows up anyway.

Why would i say this?
I drove 1000 miles home after
A breakup/separation with my fiance...
Doing 100 in a 55.lol
It was a horrible drive home.
Totally devistate. Alone on an
Empty desert highway. I didn't
Even know my truck was go to
Make or i was going to make it.

As soon as i get home that day.
I went to visit friends to console
Me. The last thing on my mind
Was women or other women.
Jenn and I went out that night.lol
Crazy sbit like that.

Anyways...Im just as crazy as
My fiance....I drove 1500 miles
Just to be with.lmao

I'm sorry to hear that it's kind of off and on. I guess I wanted to put it out there that perhaps you should tell her or anybody you decide to meet from online certain things like where you might live and with who... stuff like that. Just so they get to know you better before you guys actually meet and if they are going to have an issue with something, it's better to have not met them at all (before you grow too close). Also... I'd make sure in some way possible that whoever you meet up with is not a dude or worse. *shudders* sorry, just sayin. :)

if you ever have another date with whoever in the future:

expect rejection, failure and humiliation. have a plan for the case any of these things happen. then if they do happen you won't be caught off guard, won't be broken, and will know what to do next instead of standing there crying.

and if you get there, keep your expectations low and things go wonderfully, you'll be able to appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back