Grad School Issues

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a good review session with my reviewer this time. Full of constructive criticism which I wrote down, and…she said I improved. Apparently I would've gotten an incomplete for the course instead of failing had my school not changed their policy on incompletes.

None of that criticism such as "You're emotionally immature. That's something I expect an elementary school student to do, not a grad school student" which has no real solution to it. Like, how can a person fix that other than to not repeat the same action again, which I didn't? It just seems like a put-down. (this comment was in response to me posting my grade for my first exam on facebook, an incident that happened within the first week of class…and it was brought up again 2 weeks before the semester ended.)

There was none of that in this video review session, for which I was grateful. Just points that I needed to look at and improve, which I appreciated. Just things to think about.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Oh lovely. Glad it went okay. :)

(hugs) I'm glad too.

Trying to rest now and actually enjoy something by reading a book for pleasure.

Still right behind you and cheering for you dear. :)

I know. :) Aren't you always. This is why I love you. :D

*squeezes the life out of you*

Almost failing a second class. Essay I submitted was not acceptable. Goodbye Winter break and hello trying to do my very best on my redo of my essay without very much help. :/

…despair.

At least I have more time to redo it though, right? I wish life would stop kicking me.

Remember, life gives hugs too. Sometimes, you have to look hard to find them, but they are there.

My mother is a godsend, let me tell you. She's been so flippin' supportive. I don't know what I'd do without her.

SophiaGrace said:
Remember, life gives hugs too. Sometimes, you have to look hard to find them, but they are there.

My mother is a godsend, let me tell you. She's been so flippin' supportive. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Like that, yes. YAYS! :)

SophiaGrace said:

Like that, yes. YAYS! :)

Yes, and I may start tai chi chuan soon. For stress management.

Started on a new Antidepressant today. Please give me good vibes, prayers…thoughts that it works without any side effects that may force me off of it.

This'll be my 4th antidepressant that I've tried. The last one made me even more depressed/emotional. So, i'm hoping this one works.

Need to go finish reading my chapter from my textbook and update the diary i'm keeping of my progress in school-work over the break.

Sending you my love, Soph. I hope you find the strength to keep on going, despite all these challenges you're facing. Rooting for you over here, and you know I believe in you and what you can do. Don't let others diminish your beliefs in what you're doing. Good luck with the new antidepressants, I hope this time it'll work out for the best for you.

ladyforsaken said:
Sending you my love, Soph. I hope you find the strength to keep on going, despite all these challenges you're facing. Rooting for you over here, and you know I believe in you and what you can do. Don't let others diminish your beliefs in what you're doing. Good luck with the new antidepressants, I hope this time it'll work out for the best for you.

Pretty much what Lady said. And remember, while some people will make you feel bad, we still see you for the awesome person you are. :)

You know, I feel selfish for writing this. Like I am taking up space on the forum that I shouldn't but, oh well. Another part of being reluctant to write this is the silence that's going around in my mind. Like there's nothing to be said, nothing worthwhile anyways.

So today is Christmas day. I am kinda dreading it. I am dreading going to see my father's side of the family. My aunts and uncles. They'll ask me questions I don't wish to answer. "How's grad school?" will inevitably be responded to with "It's good. I'm enjoying it." Which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Every time I am arrogant about my abilities and limitless about my future, I get knocked down. I should stop doing that stuff, I guess. Last year around this time I was studying for the LSATs and telling people I was considering law school. God, how arrogant that feels now. As if I could do law school. I was planning on applying to the evening program that would've taken me 3 years at American University and going for disability law. Never applied. Never took the LSATs.

I can barely handle this program I am in right now that I thought was going to be easy based on the admission process, which consisted only of one interview. To be fair, the academic side isn't very hard but the emotional interpersonal side kills it for me. My previous undergraduate psychology professor was right that that was the hard part of the program, should've believed her.

I need to redo my paper so I am not on academic probation anymore but I've been avoiding doing it because it's intimidating me. Shouldn't surprise me. I was intimidated the first time around, why would this time around be any different? How the hell am I going to do clear ASL too?

This year my mom has been struggling financially. After giving her a lump sum of my trust fund payout for the mortgage, the house I am in feels like a trap. Feels as if I am stuck here, and I"m sure my mom feels this way too. Actually, it's magnified for her, she's told me so.

You see, the house is from my parent's marriage and even if I put all of my trustfund money into it, it still wouldn't be paid for. So. I have been at my mom to organize the house lately because she keeps saying the house isn't organized and therefore she can't sell it. Well, if she doesn't sell it, then, she loses all the equity in the house when the bank seizes it back.

I worry for my mother. I want her to have that house to A) pay off her debts and B) be able to retire on. I am never going to be able to make enough money to help support her in her old age. My brother certainly isn't going to be around for it. He could care less.

I've been having therapy sessions and yesterday was my second one. The first one consisted of me word-vomiting everything out to her. And her being confused because she hadn't seen me for two years. The second consisted of me not being sure what to say, and being unable to feel what she felt. In her email to me afterwards she described me as being burnt out. I talked with her about considering a leave of absence from school

Emotionally I feel really quiet lately. In none of my profiles online do I want text, or pictures. There's nothing out there that seems to describe me. It's like I am a flower that is closed and doesn't want to open. Not sure if that analogy fits but, I do feel closed lately. I feel quiet. I struggle to come up with things to say to my friends online too.

I've managed to convince myself that I'm not pregnant. So, at least that somatic delusion is gone and out of the way. After several negative urine tests and looking at how psuedocyesis is treated, I realized one of the signs was that psuedocyesis (false pregnancy) would always come up with negative urine tests. I've also counted out the protective factors against pregnancy 1) It was oral sex , 2) I took Plan b , 4) I've been getting periods, 5) urine tests were negative, 6) When I prod my abdomen, I can feel the hard muscle underneath soft squishy stuff, and I can grab the soft squishy stuff. So, that means I'm not pregnant because the baby would be under the hard abdomen mass. 7) My weight and waist size have remained the same so far. No changes. 8) My stomach distends only when I eat.

Can you see how I've talked myself out of my delusion? It was hard, but I did it.

I'm still taking my Paxil. Not sure it's doing any good. I do feel calmer after taking it though, no irritation. It might be causing me to feel blank. There's still some tics but so far I've been able to hide them when in public. The constipation isn't too bad either. Taking it during the day ensures that I won't sleep 11 hours.

I could write more, but this is good enough for now.

No matter how important you think the problem is, a problem is still a problem. Don't feel bad for letting it out every once in a while. That's what the place is for, right?

I'll agree with the therapist. You've been through a lot of stressful situations lately. Have you tried taking small breaks between every time you need to do something stressful? Might not completely dissolve the stress, but it might lower it a bit.

As for the emotional thing, do you know why you act this way? If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say it's been the whole people putting you down thing. Contact with others is a good way to feel better. I know, it may sound silly, but there are people that DO respect you.

Stay strong Soph. You're a strong person, and I know you can get through this. Sending best wishes and hugs your way. :)

I have to decide whether I have hope in myself enough to be able to redo my paper, or, if I don't.

That's what it's come down to.

SophiaGrace said:
I have to decide whether I have hope in myself enough to be able to redo my paper, or, if I don't.

That's what it's come down to.

I have hope in you Soph. You can do this! I know you can! :)

Latest posts

Back