Greetings Earthlings

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucerman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm Saucerman and I'm a twenty-something loner from the UK. I work in customer service which, despite the frequent offloading of people's innermost rage on to us, is great because I get to talk to something like 100 different people, rich and poor, young and old, from all over the country every day of the week. It has really helped me in that respect.

However, there are days when I will go into work and not speak to anyone but the customers which is done via a headset connected to a phone. This produces a very strange sort of sensation - you're in a room with something like 150 people who are all talking but not to each other. Then I come home and stare at the ceiling.

My loneliness I think stems from a combination of a kind of mild Asperger's, catastrophically low self-esteem, and an ever-present awareness of mortality. I reconcile this by concentrating extremely hard on my work so as to get into that state of flow where the consciousness is focused and my sense of self seems to - if only momentarily - evaporate and with it these concerns. In the case of the Asperger's, I often feel like everyone seems to know the lines to some kind of script that I do not have access to. This produces a strong sense of being on the outside and this can and does sometimes morph into paranoia. And the self-esteem: I feel as though my presence is not wanted, I am inherently a bad person, a fool, an idiot; I do not deserve the closeness to others that I crave because ultimately I will do more harm to them than good. And the awareness of mortality? Perhaps this is a twenties thing: childhood is well and truly over, you realise that death is a certainty and you begin to truly consider your place in the world, the fallibility of your parents, the practical and moral consequences of your words and actions, and of course your own complete insignificance.

My self-esteem has caused me to cut myself off but I want so badly to be able to connect with people on a more meaningful level. There is a girl at work who I like and I am working hard to gather the courage to buy her a coffee. I know deep down that there is nothing at all wrong with me and that I am my own worst enemy in that respect.

I thought I'd introduce myself as another one of us in this deep and endless ocean. We are all lonely so we cannot be truly alone. I love you all and hope you are well.

Saucerman

Saucerman said:
My self-esteem has caused me to cut myself off but I want so badly to be able to connect with people on a more meaningful level. There is a girl at work who I like and I am working hard to gather the courage to buy her a coffee. I know deep down that there is nothing at all wrong with me and that I am my own worst enemy in that respect.

Hello and welcome to this nice forum. It's helped me out and that is saying a lot. What you wrote here is something I could have written myself.

When you think it is the right time buy that girl a coffee. Tell her to enjoy it and to have a good day. But whatever you do don't call her an earthling.

welcome Saucerman :)
some girls do enjoy being called an earthling, but they consist of only maybe 0.2% of the population. Make sure she is into Star Trek or cosplay first.

Peaches said:
some girls do enjoy being called an earthling, but they consist of only maybe 0.2% of the population. Make sure she is into Star Trek or cosplay first.

Fine. You're right and I am mistaken.

BeyondShy said:
Peaches said:

Fine. You're right and I am mistaken.

nope, I was expanding on your very sensible comment, not contradicting you, sorry to have given that impression - 0.2% is very small

I prefer the term "Tellurian"! :p

Welcome Saucerman. I too have Asperger's.

Peaches said:

Totally! That's what made me click the link and read Saucerman's post! Haha I guess I am in the 0.2% then ;)

Hi Saucerman, your post is something I could have written myself 10 years ago. Still lonely but don't have the crippling negative thoughts/feelings anymore. No idea where they went or how I got rid of them...

Hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to message for a chat if you want :)

Ha ha, I'm not an earthling, I am from the planet Tharg, perhaps you could visit in your saucer one day. Greetings to you from a fellow brit!

Latest posts

Back