Growing up with alcoholic/addict parents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Noone Special

I don't know if this is really the place for this or not, but it seems tied into my lonliness and alienation.  I am wondering if anyone has had the terrible misfortune of growing up in a family where your parents were alcoholics or drug addicts.  I had some really bad experiences that still haunt me years later.  I have no one to talk to who could understand unless they went through it to.  Is there anyone out there?

Yes
Unfortunately hundred of thousands of us and the numbers are growing.

Noone Special said:
I don't know if this is really the place for this or not, but it seems tied into my lonliness and alienation.  I am wondering if anyone has had the terrible misfortune of growing up in a family where your parents were alcoholics or drug addicts.  I had some really bad experiences that still haunt me years later.  I have no one to talk to who could understand unless they went through it to.  Is there anyone out there?

Hi NOS,

My parents were not addicts but my dad was what you call a 'dry drunk.' He only would have one beer a day or so, if that, but he had all the mood swings and anger problems and raging and yelling, cursing, hitting that a drunk father would. So, I think I can relate and understand.

No one outside of my family knows this, but I grew up in a home with parents who were addicts. Luckily most of the time they were sober, but after my father died my mother kind of just spiraled out of control. These things also haunt me still years later. I guess it's only natural. As Pilgrim said there are many of us, more than people know. Our experiences differ but they all have the same after effects. I too wish I had someone to talk to about this.

Latest posts

Back