Have ever noticed???

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivan

Reaction score
Nowadays most people get busy n their day to day life. And especially the kids who go to school. kids come and go to school. In home they spend their most times in computer surfing net and playing games but have you ever noticed that your kids don't know the most of roman numerals. They may be able to say the roman numerals 1-20 but can't go beyond that. These numerals may not be so used in day to day life but have you ever noticed that

I'm a college graduate, and I don't think I could tell you the roman numerals past 20 :(

Roman numerals aren't important. That's why. They're just a fancy way to display numbers on a clock face or for things like Wrestlemania or the Superbowl etc.

I have to agree with Oscillate_Wildly. Roman numerals simply aren't in wide usage these days. Sure, they might be used to some degree... but for your average citizen they simply aren't worth remembering, apparently. Personally, I can count them because I'm a history major and I'm interested in things like that. But most people probably don't need to know them.

Here i can see some of you confused. Some of you making excuses that the numerals are not needed much practically and some saying that that's out of track in their course.... Anything may be the reason but most of us don't know the roman numerals....

It's kind of sad how so much important historical information, information upon which our society has been built, is now so widely considered to be trivial. It makes me worry a little bit about the future.

^^^Well, honestly... how much are roman numerals used these days? Greek or Macedonian letters? Early Germanic runes?

Yes, it's NICE to know these things, and definitely rewarding/interesting from a historical perspective... but for 80% of society, it's simply not worth the effort if there's no use for them. And on a grand scale there just isn't a large use for them. Unless you're in the habit of naming your pets Phillip XVI and Phillip XVII, etc etc.

Besides, everyone has different interests. To say that someone is ignorant or lacking because they're not interested in HISTORY (and that's what roman numerals are) is just rude and incorrect. I know them because I'm a history major, but most people will never encounter a situation in which they need to know roman numerals.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just how the world goes. Old number systems and languages fade to be replaced by new languages and number systems... there's nothing wrong with societies adapting to modern changes in language and syntax.

Badjedidude said:
^^^Well, honestly... how much are roman numerals used these days? Greek or Macedonian letters? Early Germanic runes?

Yes, it's NICE to know these things, and definitely rewarding/interesting from a historical perspective... but for 80% of society, it's simply not worth the effort if there's no use for them. And on a grand scale there just isn't a large use for them. Unless you're in the habit of naming your pets Phillip XVI and Phillip XVII, etc etc.

Besides, everyone has different interests. To say that someone is ignorant or lacking because they're not interested in HISTORY (and that's what roman numerals are) is just rude and incorrect. I know them because I'm a history major, but most people will never encounter a situation in which they need to know roman numerals.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just how the world goes. Old number systems and languages fade to be replaced by new languages and number systems... there's nothing wrong with societies adapting to modern changes in language and syntax.

It is certainly not my intention to label ANYONE as being ignorant or lacking for not having an interest in history, and I apologize if I gave that impression. I guess my main concern is how we as a species seem to so easily forget the brilliant minds, the hard work, and the sacrifices that went into shaping the world we live in today, and as a consequence we miss out on the many valuable lessons the past has to teach us.

Spare said:
I guess my main concern is how we as a species seem to so easily forget the brilliant minds, the hard work, and the sacrifices that went into shaping the world we live in today, and as a consequence we miss out on the many valuable lessons the past has to teach us.

Well you're definitely right about that. The reason that history seems to go in cycles sometimes is because each generation forgets about the accomplishments and failures of the generations before them... and so make the exact same mistakes.

I don't know how to break that trend, other than to do my best to help teach students not just facts, but how to educate themselves. Lifelong learning is the greatest achievement any one human could pursue, and several of the brightest minds in history have said the same. If we all just held to the view that learning occurs throughout one's lifetime, we'd certainly see less people forgetting what came before us.

roman numerals don't interest me, and i guess that's why i never got into the Final Fantasy series...things with roman numerals tend to turn me off XD!! it may sound ignorant, but why learn the numerals for telling time, when you can just get a digital watch? it's so much easier and saves lots of time :D

Latest posts

Back