Have Not Yet Figured Out How To Find That Special Somebody

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ardour said:
Violent criminals getting love letters in jail aren't hiding their true selves.

No but they are attracting a very special kind of girl. 😂
I would think that they are attracted by a thing that in some cases has been given to them by blood.
Mistaking their needs for what it really is and also mistaking what the guy actually is giving them. Not all ofc but that’s just my perspective.

Don't waste your time MissBehave, you won't change their minds. No one ever has and never will, they've been beating the same arguments for years. They ignore anything positive or anything that contradicts their arguments and only ever focus on what supports it. No matter what you say or do they will always have something else to come back at you with. It's a waste of time and negativity like that will only drag you down. None of us here need more negativity and toxicity in our lives.

giphy.gif

❤️ You are all getting a *hug* nonetheless! ❤️
Doesn’t really matter what they think, just as my opinion doesn’t matter to them. 
I bet we can coexist just fine even if we disagree or not. 😉

Xpendable said:
It is not something you can figure out. Either you are born with it or not.  

I don't know that for sure, but that's what I'm afraid of.

ardour said:
I can’t help thinking why I should bother to understand them if they’re ambivalent to my existence. There’s nothing stopping someone from making the effort to know us. But that isn’t happening.

I mean, you have to bother to understand them cause as it stands, they have all the cards.  We don't have anything to bargain with.  If you don't try to understand them and what they want, they'll just be like fine, rot in singledom then.  It reminds me of employment - they have their requirements, and you have to try and meet them.  If you don't, they don't care. You could wind up on the streets, starve, freeze, they couldn't care less.  But even jobs have requirements that they list.  Women don't.  You have to just guess and hope/wish/pray that you come up with the right combination of traits to be seen as attractive.  That's what gets me.  All I know that I'm missing is a vague notion of "masculinity", "coolness", and being "interesting".  I don't even know what exactly I should be trying to get, trying to do, trying to be.  I don't know what's going to get me closer to being seen as boyfriend material, and what isn't doing anything to help get me there.  I don't know if there's even anything I can do at all, or if it's because of my genes or DNA, like I'm just inherently a loser and this is just Darwinism taking its course and there's nothing I can do except like I said, hope, wish, pray, or just go back to drinking, smoking, giving up on life and waiting for my health to fail for good. I only know that "just being myself", waiting for someone to "like me for me", it "happening when i'm not looking/when I least expect it", acting like "life's not a race", and "not worrying about fitting in or being cool", all the advice I was told, hasn't worked.  Maybe that was passable before, but those days are long gone.

It does suck how most make no attempt to get to know us or understand us, though. Just kinda makes a person feel worthless, inferior, like they just don't matter at all. Like they can just do whatever, but I'm the one that has to justify myself to them like they're some kind of nobility or superior being. Like the problem isn't that I'm doing something wrong, it's that I AM something wrong. Feels shitty.

Xpendable said:
What toxicity do serial killers and criminals emit that they are able to attract so many women?

They emit power, strength, dominance, and that overrides any toxicity that they also give off.  Being weak or even being perceived as weak, whether you actually are or not, as well as boring, is seen as worse than being evil.  It's not a pleasant truth but all a person has to do is look around you, or think back to growing up, and you'll see that it's true. Incompetent evil is seen as gross, weird, creepy, awkward, loser-y, but competent evil or defiance is sexy. I don't think so, but that's how the world seems to work.

Though to be fair, it's kind of the same with hot girls.  We see the hotness, and might be willing to look the other way on toxic personality traits that they may have.

The very idea that a man has "nothing to bargain with" should be dismissed out of hand.

Approach women you find approachable. Forget the cheerleaders and underwear models.

harper said:
The very idea that a man has "nothing to bargain with" should be dismissed out of hand.

Approach women you find approachable.   Forget the cheerleaders and underwear models.

SO basic strawmaning. Women have no real reason to focus on the humanity of males.  Everything a man can provide has to be an immediate or approximate resource she can use. Everything a woman can like in a man is something she can benefit from. Women want a good man so he can be good to her and the offspring he can give her, so those kids (her's) grow healthy and also reproduce. Women want an ambitious man (or smart) so he can become an investment and provide for her. Women want a funny man so he can stand out from the crowd and therefore make her stand out. Women want a strong man so he can protect her and her offspring from danger. Women want an attentive man so he can listen to HER problems and feelings. Women want a successful man so she can showcase him as evidence for her own value. Women want men for what they can do for them, not for what they are.

Xpendable said:
harper said:

Approach women you find approachable.   Forget the cheerleaders and underwear models.

SO basic strawmaning. Women have no real reason to focus on the humanity of males.  Everything a man can provide has to be an immediate or approximate resource she can use. Everything a woman can like in a man is something she can benefit from. Women want a good man so he can be good to her and the offspring he can give her, so those kids (her's) grow healthy and also reproduce. Women want an ambitious man (or smart) so he can become an investment and provide for her. Women want a funny man so he can stand out from the crowd and therefore make her stand out. Women want a strong man so he can protect her and her offspring from danger. Women want an attentive man so he can listen to HER problems and feelings. Women want a successful man so she can showcase him as evidence for her own value. Women want men for what they can do for them, not for what they are.

That must have sounded smarter in your head before you typed it all out.   :OD
...and where's the strawman, btw?

Sci-Fi said:
Don't waste your time MissBehave, you won't change their minds.  No one ever has and never will, they've been beating the same arguments for years.  They ignore anything positive or anything that contradicts their arguments and only ever focus on what supports it.  No matter what you say or do they will always have something else to come back at you with.  It's a waste of time and negativity like that will only drag you down.  None of us here need more negativity and toxicity in our lives.

Depending on one's point of view, it could be said that this post is itself negativity and toxicity.  It certainly doesn't do anything to assuage anyone's feelings of frustration or despair, or to understand anyone at all.  Frankly, I feel like the contempt in this post is only barely more subtle than earlier negative and toxic posts calling people "wastes of time" that "don't add any value to people's lives", just based on posts which only show a fraction of who a person is or why they feel the way they do.  And since when is subtlety a measure of right and wrong, especially when the intent is the same?  Everyone has their own thoughts, feelings, and opinions in private, and it would be one thing for a member to say something like this, but for a moderator to talk about members of the site like this openly, to openly take part in invalidating people, calling them a waste and negative and toxic, to publicly dismiss and shame members as a lost cause - on a support forum no less - I think it's belittling, derogatory, offensive, and disappointing. And this isn't the first time I've seen you say stuff like this either. I don't think it's right, especially for a place like this.

And if you don't like MGTOWs or MRAs or whatever, dismissing people instead of understanding them or at least letting them vent, saying that they aren't even worth a dialogue (while feeling higher than them and patting yourself on the back for it), just pushes people further into those spaces. It just polarizes people more, and I'm glad to finally see some articles calling this out. I don't know what will really change anyone's mind, but dismissing someone as a waste of time or toxic or an incel or a loser, definitely won't. Nonacceptance doesn't give any incentive for a person to see anyone else's side.

The main premise here is that we all have some problem or another.  I would think that would make us all more understanding and less judgmental, especially of each other, and more free and comfortable to speak our minds.   But that hasn't been the case.  People come here for a lot of reasons.  One of those is to vent.  It has its place.  Maybe through venting people can solve a problem together.  Or maybe they just find people that relate, and in doing so, at least they feel like somebody understands both their situation and them as a person, makes them feel less alone, and willing to make it to another day.  

Have you ever really talked to ardour or Xpendable?  Gotten to know them a bit as people, instead of just as forum posts that you disagree with or personally dislike?  Gotten a sense of who they are, their experiences, not just how they feel but why they feel the way they do?  I have.  I feel like if a person wants to the boss of something, they should at least care in some capacity about how the people are doing - all the people, not just the ones you like and agree with.  And I feel like this is especially true for what's supposed to be a support space.  Otherwise I'd question why you'd even want the job.  If it's all about having power and authority somewhere, anywhere, then I don't think it's a good fit, and I don't think it's right to use a loneliness forum for that purpose, and the role would be better suited to a more understanding person. Someone who felt the role was more about counseling than policing, especially when that policing is selective. Forcing people to either be positive or shut up, when they don't feel like they have much to be positive about, not only doesn't make sense for this place, but seems cruel.  What's negative and toxic to you is somebody else's life, and to talk about people like that instead of giving them some space just looks like you're trying to highroad people that you personally don't like, or gatekeep whose problems are real and whose aren't. When you feel like singledom is being imposed on you, like romantic relationships are a gated community that isn't for "your kind", but everyone else takes it as a given, as a normal part of life that "just happens", yeah, that feels pretty negative. I get that being negative is itself unattractive, but that negativity doesn't just come from nowhere.  It comes from how the way things have gone for you and how that makes you feel.

The posts that helped me through times of anger, despair, pessimism, and sadness, they haven't been the ones that tried to invalidate me and my experiences, told me my thoughts and feelings weren't real or worth anything, or basically told me to shut up because someone didn't find them entertaining as if that's the purpose, or out of some sense of claiming the moral high ground.  No.  The most helpful posts to me were the ones that made me feel listened to and understood, like, even if a person had a different experience or disagreed with me, they could at least acknowledge that my experiences were what they were, and influenced me to think and feel the way I do - they could accept that that's how it is, to me.  They made me feel heard, and it felt a little better that someone was saying "I hear you, I have some ideas but you might not agree/not be ready/are looking for something else, take them or leave them in your own time" instead of "you should feel the way I think you should feel, your problems aren't real/don't matter, shut up".

For example, MissBehave's posts in this very thread.  Kudos to her for showing patience and understanding, even if she doesn't necessarily agree with all the viewpoints mentioned, instead of just taking the easy way out and heaping scorn on people struggling.

harper said:

Yeah, perhaps.  Sometimes I think that I do view myself in too negative a light and tell myself it's pointless to even try cause I'm one of the "lesser" people, one of Darwin's losers, rather than trying to disprove or defy it.

I also read an article about this kind of stuff lately that really got me down, so that probably didn't help.

As far as women I find approachable, ironically the only ones I find approachable are the ones I'm not attracted to.  I'm not anxious with them, but I'm not excited either.  With them I'm not really trying to do anything except be friendly and pass the time.  The ones I am attracted to, I trip over my thoughts and words and just come off lame.  I get nerves and brain fog and I get overly cautious, and if confidence is the number one thing, well, you get the idea.

It's not cheerleaders and underwear models I'm after though.  I couldn't see myself relating to that kind of person.

MissBehave said:
Some of those that end up going bitter or whatever it is, they feel closed off. Unapproachable. It's very easy to end up like that and I'm not saying it's unjustified... But... They emit this toxicity that keeps people away. Keeping yourself open to the very thing that hurts you is no easy feat though. I guess it's a common sense way of protecting yourself. Don't stand in fire 🔥 

I don't know how it is for everyone but for me, I don't feel closed off or unapproachable.  It's that barely anyone ever approaches.  And it's seeing certain patterns over and over again, in my life and others.  Maybe it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy after a while, but it feels like there's no way out no matter what I do, nothing I do will be enough because anything I do comes from me, and I am the fault, I am the problem.

MissBehave said:
They are hiding themselves rather than showing the real hunter that they are. That isn't about toxicity, that is about lies. There is a very real different feeling that they admit. I was approached by this guy that are now serving max penalty in Norway for rape, I think it was 20 women or something that he got his hands on. He got 21 years. Maybe it was because I'm used to that air that they have around themselves that made me see him for what he was. I didn't end up with him because I felt that danger. So many other women didn't and that's cause people like him know exactly what to say in every situation and how to fit with multiple girls. He's not just wearing this 1 jacked up alpha male costume, he's everything at once.

Yeah, they do that.  Knowing exactly what to say in every situation, how to fit with multiple people, being everything at once.  That's like the smooth-talker I was talking about.  

Anyway, glad you managed to dodge the bullet.

Siku said:
I understand the feeling, but indifference paired with significant bitterness is only going to keep you exactly where you're at. Maybe understanding the other side of it and seeing yourself constructively may actually have women see you in a more welcoming light. As some very clearly push away the very thing they are upset for not having. Unable to see past the clouds they've created for themselves.

Fortifying yourself with facts over actually placing yourself in the mindset of the very thing you begin to resent but also long for. To what end? Why are you alienating the very thing you wish you had? To re-fortify the ego? You've only dug yourself a bigger hole with very strong feelings in the guise of thinking. Which will have you mistakenly push it all away. Some self-reflection is key if you want to get out of your personal hell. Forgive, forget, and embrace. You might surprise yourself of what comes out of the ashes if you let go of resentment or a self-fortified mindset.

Most women or men do not fall under the stereo-types. If they do, they just might be trying too hard to be something they are not in order to be seen. It's social non-sense paired with confirmation bias that's fed to the inexperienced or fortified by the unlucky who fail to see they actually attract it with their own fantasies and "types". Ironically brainwashed by society. The end result is people who often fail to be themselves and think they need to be what the world deems and shows as acceptable. And if they do have traits you hate? Then change YOUR type, steer clear, and keep moving.

What is the difference between, "he/she will over look me because I'm ugly and have nothing worth value" between genders? There is none! It's a human trait just with entirely different milestones or expectations. No one is everyone at once. No one seemingly has it easier and to say that boldly only shows how stuck on your feelings and perception you are. Who's going to step out and try to be seen in this situation? Be the change you want in others, don't just expect it to happen suddenly when you yourself are unwilling to do the same. Put the real you out there. Don't let your bitterness or agony be the only thing that voices itself and continue to wonder why no angel who's a bigger person than you magically comes around to lift you out of your slumber and see something that's hidden away. They don't know you because you haven't shown anything other than the worst of you, your hurt, or an ego.

Open your horizons, or stay where you're at. That is your decision. No one is going to save you from yourself unless you extend your own hand in the process.

Show some other vulnerability, show more of yourself in order to be seen. Something warm. Not cold. Then maybe, just maybe, someone will love what they see and look past the surface. Something EVERYONE should be doing too - Looking past the surface and the superficial bullshit all the same.... And just see people as people....

Hmm, that's food for thought.  I'll have to mull this over.

TheSkaFish! 
I read your post while still in bed, half asleep and not completely there yet but... just wanted to say that I liked it very much. I don’t find you unapproachable at all and the reason I’ve not talked to you is more my own lack of confidence regarding my intellectual worth. Not that I’m saying that you would want to. Lol. But yeah, that’s just my limited view on you. I agree with you, we should keep ALL as a place where we all can say what we feel without being judged for it. Having basic respect for one another is something we all should reach for. Yes, sometimes we say stuff in the heat of the moment and allowing space for that too is also important. 
Be generous with the space we give people so they can be themselves. ❤️

As far as your comment Xpendable: I think that goes both ways. Women have impossible high standards for men and men have them regarding women. Men is supposed to be rich, successful, powerful, beautiful and all that. We women are supposed to preserve our beauty to the max, keeping our body in perfect shape, having ass and tits that’s attractive, being a devil in bed and angel with parents and friends. 
Being looked at as a trophy, not being valued at all regarding my inner thoughts and feeling kind of sucks ass. 
There is a clear divide between the superficial part of this world and the place where all the “damaged” and unfortunate people are. These ideals that you think most women have, I can ofc generalize that and say the same about men. But, I know that it’s not true that all are like that. Cursing the mainstream world isn’t going to give any reward, try to search in the cracks where the rest of us have fallen. ❤️ Yes, there are some that aren’t going to find someone so trying to give you hope seems... I dunno. Just wanted to say that I think we all have the possibility to find love, it’s all about being lucky enough to find it. Having all these desirable traits is going to make the hunt easier for sure, that’s just the way it is. 😔 I’ll won’t loose hope though. I always see possibilities for others cause there is always good stuff in everyone. 
I respect your comment and views, you are just as entitled to have it as all of us are. 

Another thing that sucks is that when I’ve wanted to talk and get to know some men, they have rejected me purely because I’m the representation of what they think they can’t get, friendship or love.
💔

I agree, Miss. The difference lies in society not accepting that women can judge men purely for those reasons. We accept men are shallow but not the other way around. I personally don't care about fertility and that. Body? Should we get permissive with people for not trying to achieve their best version? What have you done in regard to your possibilities? I'm not attacking you. I mean, have you tried actually get close to this ideal? Have you really worked on those inner thoughts? Is your friendship and love objectively the best you can offer? Again, I'm not attacking you, I just want to know what have you done. I'm not cursing the world, I'm exposing it. I myself got on a trip years ago to bypass the system. I didn't sit on my ass a did nothing. I worked and currently still work out regularly, I worked on my body language, my posture, I'm working on being more knowledgable, working on my third language and trying to expand artistically. I can carry a conversation, something I wasn't capable 15 years ago. As a kid, I couldn't see people on the eye; now I can 90% of the time. I have a speech impediment that I've been working on since forever without much improvement. Also, working on my style. Looking for a nice haircut, the right type of clothes, grooming, skincare, etc. If you really are between those cracks you should be on a similar note. I don't know your story but no one can say to me I haven't tried. Why exactly have you tried to know men? what type of men? Why should a particular man date you?

Not sure I'll ever be able to figure it out. I don't blame anyone else for it though. There is a problem with me, and this is all my own making.

I think that the world is going to run it’s course and there isn’t much we can do to change that. All we can do is try to be the best version of ourselves that we can be and see where that leads us. Reaping reward or not, it’s all we can do.
I don’t have any answers for anyone. There isn’t a quick fix to suddenly make it alright. 
Men that struggle with this and the repercussions of it is hard for me to fully understand. I guess it’s impossible. Women have the luxury of using looks and sensuality as the golden key to a lot of things in life and this is apparent from a very young age. I also think we have a lot more opportunity of finding more people that want us. That doesn’t make the pain of not getting what you actually want any less though. Maybe less lonely? In a way yes, but yeah... not really. 

Xpendable, it sounds like you have put a lot of hard work into bettering yourself. I’m sorry that you feel like it hasn’t given you the reward you hoped for. I am hoping you do get what you want. Just wanted to say that your hurt in this is something that I feel.  
I dunno. Just saying what I’m thinking. ❤️

Perhaps it depends on who you socialise with, but if I took that attitude you describe MissBehave I'd be labelled an arsehole by just about everyone around me, including any potential dates. Women can openly demand 24/7 confidence, judge men for being too passive and predictable etc. or talk about men like they're utilities and not a murmur of criticism from anywhere.

Also it's hard to find a unicorn when most women like that seem happily single and don't appreciate the attention.

harper said:
Xpendable said:
harper said:

Tell you something about being smart... is not a feeling of being conscious of your intelligence, but you only ARE smart. I don't really think you can get that since you seem to be on the low side of the curve. No, no one here has ever mentioned models or cheerleaders; ever. Basic comprehension skills should tell you that, and how obvious your fallacy was. Yet, you came back with ad hominem immediately after.

Thanks, Miss. I hope you get what you want too (although you didn't answer my question), but first, we must legitimize other's people point of view. You are doing a better job in this thread than any mod in the 4 years I've been here.

Xpendable said:
harper said:
Xpendable said:
harper said:

Tell you something about being smart... is not a feeling of being conscious of your intelligence, but you only ARE smart. I don't really think you can get that since you seem to be on the low side of the curve. No, no one here has ever mentioned models or cheerleaders; ever. Basic comprehension skills should tell you that, and how obvious your fallacy was. Yet, you came back with ad hominem immediately after.

Thanks, Miss. I hope you get what you want too (although you didn't answer my question), but first, we must legitimize other's people point of view. You are doing a better job in this thread than any mod in the 4 years I've been here.

No fallacies here.   

I simply pointed out that your egghead 'women in theory' lecture doesn't describe women in actuality. 

Models and cheerleaders represent the physically attractive women OP apparently finds unattainable.  Clearly, it's time for him to look beyond the surface and discover the vast majority of incredibly beautiful women who reside in a plainer package.

I speak from experience.   You speak from 3rd Period Logic class.  :O)

Awww.. Thats sweet of you to say Xpendable. 🌸
I was kind if hoping you wouldn’t spot my lack of answering. 😋
Let’s see... hmm. 🤔
In all honesty, I wasn’t expecting to be alive now. I have always been sure that I would kill myself sooner or later so I feel I’m on overtime already. But yeah, I’ve spent years in therapy to try and fix my very much fractured mind, ever since I was a teenager. I have very good confidence regarding looks or social abilities but my mind has always been the thing that’s kept me from getting the stuff that I want in life. I’ve pretty much exhausted every possible treatment that’s available and tried so many pills that yeah.... a lot. Lol. 😁 
I think my deepest desire is to be free of my past torture because I don’t want to die. 
It’s weird. When I thought I was moving forward, I awakened later to realize I was trapped in the same kind if trouble, it just had a different face. Now I’m hoping to move forward again, when I figure out what to do and how to do it. 

This reminds me of a song lyric I love:

Still I dream in greens and blues,
Days that break and skies that move.
Memory’s eyes that quiver,
Bound in spheres of milk and glass.
Don’t speak like you were there, 
One is here, I feel it’s stare.
Rumored still and hidden by the sightless who have seen.
There’s still fire in the darkness and rooms of light.

harper said:

They don't exist. We live in an anti-male culture that judges men for looking while labelling them cowards for not making the first move.  Yeah, not doing that again, not serving myself up for a browbeating from some biitter person angry over a past abusive relationships or the fact Mr. Right didn't ask her out when she was younger. Less attractive men take the punishment for other men's bad behaviours.

Again, there's nothing aside from a dated social norm stopping them from showing interest. Or just starting a conversation for that matter.

ardour said:
harper said:

They don't exist. We live in an anti-male culture that judges men for looking while labelling them cowards for not making the first move.  Yeah, not doing that again, not serving myself up for a browbeating from some biitter person angry over a past abusive relationships or the fact Mr. Right didn't ask her out when she was younger. Less attractive men take the punishment for other men's bad behaviours.

Again, there's nothing aside from a dated social norm stopping them from showing interest. Or just starting a conversation for that matter.

You're overlooking the obvious.   Every shred of your personality that's been on display here indicates that you're angry and bitter and well-equipped with excuses for your inability to deal with women.  If it's that obvious here, imagine how it comes across to the IRL women you've encountered.

harper said:
You're overlooking the obvious.   Every shred of your personality that's been on display here indicates that you're angry and bitter and well-equipped with excuses for your inability to deal with women.  If it's that obvious here, imagine how it comes across to the IRL women you've encountered.

Yup. The man who can’t “deal with” women isn’t a man and deserves to be ploughed under.  You're a trad con.

As I hinted at, I’ve approached and tried to be friendly to the ‘Plain Janes’ plenty of times (literally just to be friendly). They were mostly passive aggressive, unpleasant, depressed and/or mentally unstable, probably as bitter and resentful over what hadn't happened as I was. Except nobody expects anything from them.

harper said:
ardour said:
harper said:

Yup. The man who can’t “deal with” women isn’t a man and deserves to be ploughed under.  You're a trad con.

As I hinted at, I’ve approached and tried to be friendly to the ‘Plain Janes’ plenty of times (literally just to be friendly). They were mostly passive aggressive, unpleasant, depressed and/or mentally unstable,  probably as bitter and resentful over what hadn't happened  as I was. Except nobody expects anything from them.

You're the one who derides others' successes as being entirely irrelevant to your situation. 
What makes you think your choices and subsequent failures apply to anyone but yourself?

Why do you believe your experiences are typical?

ofRaGt.jpg

Bonus questions:  
1. What is a trad con?
2.  Does "deal with" not occur in Ardourland's List of Common Idioms?

Latest posts

Back