Head above the parapet...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milly

Reaction score
Hello there, I've been registered for a while but have only just gotten up the nerve to actually post on here. I never quite know what to say in these things, but here goes:

I'm a 24-year-old girl (I hesitate to use the word "woman"; it implies a level of wisdom and competence and general not-being-a-total-fresia-upness that I can't even aspire to) currently living in England, although this isn't where I was born. I'm from a place called Sarajevo in what is now Bosnia - some of the older people on here might remember Sarajevo from the early part of the 90s, when the city was under siege. Without wanting to go too much into details, my father and I came to England after my mother was killed in the siege. I saw her die.

We eventually settled here as refugees, and I've grown up in England and Wales. When I first came over I couldn't speak English and my clothes weren't very good, so I got picked on an awful lot in school. We kept moving around the country too, so I never really put down roots anywhere. I've lived in several different parts of London, which is probably as close to a home town I've got here, but this was interspersed with different spells in different places.

Basically - I never stayed anywhere long enough to make friends; I was constantly the new girl; being obviously foreign, shy and nervous, I was an easy target for bullies. Simply put, I never made any friends through school. I've pretty much not made any friends anywhere. Ever.

I left school at 16 because I had to look after my father, who was badly affected by the war and was, by then, a broken man. He died a few years ago. So now, without any family or friends, I'm pretty much perfectly alone.

Seriously, I don't even have a phone. No point.

So, umm, that's why I'm here. I don't want to go too far too soon and write a big massive self-absorbed thing that'll alienate people before I've even started, so I'll shut up now. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to (posting to) the forum.
I can't even begin to imagine what you have gone through. I hope you will be able to find at least something in this forum.

Hello, Milly. Wow, you've led quite the life so far. With a hardship most take their whole lives to equal. My condolences. That you've come from such meager circumstances and endured is a testament to you. It's too bad, apparently, that no one has taken the time to know you yet. You have a lot to offer. Just going by how well spoken and thoughtful you sound I'm sure lots of people would find you wonderful. The catch is in befriending them. That's a trick a lot of us here, and everywhere, have trouble with. So you're not alone there.

Thanks for finally posting. Keep it up! I, for one, look forward to reading more about you. And hopefully we'll return the favor. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you're looking for here. :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! I can't pretend to understand anything you've gone through, although I know a little about the events. However I hope you find some friends here!

Milly said:
I'm from a place called Sarajevo in what is now Bosnia - some of the older people on here might remember Sarajevo from the early part of the 90s, when the city was under siege.

You make me sound so old :'(

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear what you have gone through. I obviously don't know what it must feel like, but if you ever want to talk to someone, feel free to PM me.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay and that you'll be able to make some friends here :)

Milly said:
I'm a 24-year-old girl (I hesitate to use the word "woman"; it implies a level of wisdom and competence and general not-being-a-total-fresia-upness that I can't even aspire to)

Everyone fucks up, doesn't make you not a woman. And considering what you've been through, I'd wager that you have a lot of wisdom and competence. Just keep your head up and everything will be fine.

Welcome to ALL :)

Hi-
I'm sorry you saw your mom killed during the war. I lived in London (Putney & Ealing) during that time and the siege was covered extensively in Europe so I remember it very well :( You've found a good forum, though - nice to meet you :) and thanks for sharing your story-

Teresa

Hi Milly, I'm so sorry to hear about your past. :\

You sound like a very strong woman and yes, you are a woman, I think you deserve this title no matter your wisdom level or competence, simply because it takes a lot to go through what you have.

Welcome to the forum, Milly. Hope you'll find some good friends on here. :) *hugs*

Hello, i'm sorry to hear about what you've gone through. I hope you get everything good in life because you deserve it :) hope you find lots of good friends too.

Hi.
Sounds like you've been hesitant, but finally built up the courage to reach out, wanting to make some friends, or maybe just have some people to chat with. There are people who will appreciate you for who you are, maybe you will find them here, maybe not, just don't give up, a perfectly solitary life is an unfulfilling way to live in my opinion. Best wishes to you.

Latest posts

Back