heartbroken

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uaretheonly1

Reaction score
Here is my story. I knew this girl for awhile, since like last semester. So we got closer this semester, and somehow I felt a crush for her. At that point in my life I lost some of my good friends, and really had no one to talk to. She was there to comfort me, and I guess I develop a bond with her. So I told her I like her but she just told me to be friends and take it one step at a time. So after forgetting about her, she ask to have lunch. I agree to have lunch with her because I didnt see her for like 2 weeks. So I was all happy anticipating to have lunch with her. So I took a long time in the morning to pick out clothes and even miss a class. So by the time I got to school she was at the library. I walk over to the library and she was talking to some guy. I was sadden. The bad part was she had a 30 or more minute conversation while I was looking like a dumbass looking around sitting by myself. Right now I just want to cry. I have a test coming up but as of right now I can't even concentrate no more.

There's a gal I sort of fancy at the community college I go to. She's not overly loud, attends classes so she probably isn't retarded, dresses sensibly and doesn't wear much makeup. Sometimes I try to talk myself in to talking to her and tell myself that I have nothing to lose by saying hello and that maybe she'd like me. Then last semester I passed by her outside at a slow enough pace to hear her talking about her somewhat-recent boyfriend.

Yeah, that was kinda depressing. I hate it when that happens.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? i MEAN HONESTLY, DID I READ THIS RIGHT???

You like her, You do have a brain right? Something in your brain, that thing in your big old head?? processed that this was a nice person, she helped you thru a rough time, you had conversations, you liked the way she thought. She likes you. She likes you enough to want to develop a friendship BEFORE having immediate SEX with you. But your LITTLE head takes over and says "Forget about her"....

Jeesh, you lost all my sympathy right there....what's up with that dude? So she isn't a easy lay, unless you know for sure by the campus grapevine this is primo slut material... whatever. But you don't value her judgement or her wish to take it slowly, so you say, like so many other guys, WHY WASTE MY TIME.... honestly. This is a sad sad indictment on both your twit thinking heads...no immediate sexual gratification in sight, you quickly move on, to looser pastures.

UNLESS the guy's tongue was down her throat 5 inches, WHY CAN'T a GIRL TALK TO ANOTHER GUY? Did you not just tell me, you forgot about her, threw her out, got on with life for two weeks, heck, she had to call you to keep in touch with someone who she must value as a human being, why else would she have invested so much time in comforting you? She calls you to re-establish and keep the ties between you in place....and who the heck are you to think SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO SPEAK TO anyone of the male species?????? It was a lunch date dude, unless she again was the appetizer, main course and dessert of your constantly fantasizing two heads.

Where do you come off? Seriously? HOw insecure are you? I don't care if they were leaning in, head to head, his hand on her thigh, her fingers entwined in his hair.... YOU TWO had a lunch date. You walk right on up, You stick out your hand to make him shake hands with you, you introduce yourself. "Hi, I'm Rob, the lunch date, jeesh who knew you could get so hungry.... Sarah, where we going, have you figured it out yet?" and You don't stand peevishly off to the side like a petulant little brat who didn't get his piece of candy he wanted when he wanted it.

Honestly. I KNOW things probably move alot faster these days than when I was a girl, most girls today are much quicker to have sex and see no problem with numerous casual sex partners.....but honestly? Some girls don't like to jump into bed with every Tom Dick and Harry and some girls still like to feel a sense of reliability, security, development, progression in a relationship before they can take the chance to be vulnerable sexually with a man. If you are the kind of man who values a woman for more than what she can do for your overexcitable little head, if you realize women are dimensional creatures who might not have "just sex" on their brain, but need the emotional deeper ties to another soul in order to truly enjoy a sexual partner, then why can't you be the kind of man who can honor and respect her enough to wait???

geez diedre...dont yell at the poor fellow.

I mean i think it's obvious he DOES like her and doesnt see her as a booty call. Cant we give him points for that?

But yeah, seems like he mightve missed a few cues and balked on his confidence a little.

Cheer up uare, gather yourself and go right back to treating the girl kindly and with thoughtfulness. You cant force her to like you as more than a friend.

If you steer clear of pressuring her and dont assume too much, you're probably onto the right track.

Sorry, I disagree........... No, let me be clearer...... I STRONGLY disagree. He stated very clearly :

(she) told me to be friends and take it one step at a time. So after forgetting about her, she ask to have lunch. I agree to have lunch with her because I didnt see her for like 2 weeks.

So after forgetting about her sort of connotes he made the decision to walk away.... she wanted to be friends, he didn't. That is exactly implied. She would have continued the relationship as a friendship...he wanted more and so forgot about her. That's my take on it. He didn't say, So after forgetting about ME, she calls me.

PLUS: I think it was very telling that he described this relationship as one that had progressed over some time period, not a few weeks, but a whole semester.....I'm again just saying that he put what he felt as enough time into this, now it was time to move to the next stage, sex. She didn't feel the same way. He saw it as HEY, I put the time in and I'm not getting any return on my investment. I'm sorry, again, I think this is implied.

Unless he meant and didn't express himself properly that she really said, "let's take it slow, let's step away, let's give this a rest for a few weeks" and she walked out the door? Who knows? It's hard, some people don't say clearly exactly what happened... he did say, FORGET HER.... not SHE said Forget YOU.... it could have been HER that said it or implied by saying let's take it slow, step back and yes, actually said see ya in a few weeks. We can't really know can we???

I'm saying, based on how he described it, he comes off as the one who said "forget this", unwilling to just accept a friendship between them for awhile. AND! She's the one who re-establishes contact with him, so again, I'm giving the points to HER and not him. Sorry. That's how I see it - I am just the kind of person who will say, jeesh, seems a bit shallow to me...accept a woman for being more than a outlet for your sexual needs. I am like that- I will say what it sounded like: It sounded like typical male behavior to me. I am an old old lady, saw this scenario a thousand times in my life. If a woman doesn't put out within the self imposed time frame the guy has in his head, he just moves on. she isn't worth the time or trouble to develop a relationship.... it's more about the sex than it is about a human connection, developing a relationship. Sorry, I see this as truly dominant behavior in 80% of the males of our species.

And yes, I totally agree he has to never pressure or assume it's time to have sex, he takes his cues from her and gives her the dignity to choose what is the right time for herself and he is well on his way to a relationship based on true trust.

quick edit here: yeah, i used caps, which denotes yelling, but I did ask Did I hear this right? did I read this right? cause this is my take on it....I certainly wouldn't be totally upset I read it all wrong, I'm just saying, I asked, did I read this right, because this is what it sounds like. Now it's up to him to say yeah, I forgot about her or No, she took the reins - tossed me out and then calls me up again two weeks later like she is playing with a toy

SophiaGrace said:

I mean i think it's obvious he DOES like her and doesnt see her as a booty call. Cant we give him points for that?

But yeah, seems like he mightve missed a few cues and balked on his confidence a little.

Cheer up uare, gather yourself and go right back to treating the girl kindly and with thoughtfulness. You cant force her to like you as more than a friend.

If you steer clear of pressuring her and dont assume too much, you're probably onto the right track.

Ok Dre I think you got the wrong impression here. What I meant by forgetting her is that I was trying to be her friend and forgetting the thought that I like her more than that. I wanted to type more details yesterday, but I was so sad I only type a little bit summarizing the story. I dont see her as a booty call if I did I would of not hang out with her or be her friend. She use to text me but now I initiate all the text. I ask her out to lunch all the time but she was just busy. Then she ask me do I want to have lunch. Of course I agree cause i like hanging out with her. I wasnt mad at the point she was talking to him. I was mad because she didnt even say a word like hold on or introduce us. She just talk to him while I sat next to them looking around for like 30 min. I wanted to walk away or text her that I was leaving, but I thought it was rude to do so, so I just waited for her. I mean she didnt even tell him I got to go my friend is waiting. I mean luckily the other guy friend came and ask him to have lunch then he left, then she turn to me and talk. I was like wtf. I think your believe is that all i want to do is have sex with her. I really like to talk to this girl. I tell her more things than what most of my close friends even know. She a very intelligent person through her conversations.

I reread your post again and you said something about forget this. Like I say what I meant was to forget the feelings that I like her and just be friends.

She sounds like a total jerk, and you sound like a complete sweetheart.
I know it must hurt. She sounds insensitive. Well, I will send you a hug.
You are worth more. Now if I could only take my own advice...

uaretheonly1 said:
Here is my story. I knew this girl for awhile, since like last semester. So we got closer this semester, and somehow I felt a crush for her. At that point in my life I lost some of my good friends, and really had no one to talk to. She was there to comfort me, and I guess I develop a bond with her. So I told her I like her but she just told me to be friends and take it one step at a time. So after forgetting about her, she ask to have lunch. I agree to have lunch with her because I didnt see her for like 2 weeks. So I was all happy anticipating to have lunch with her. So I took a long time in the morning to pick out clothes and even miss a class. So by the time I got to school she was at the library. I walk over to the library and she was talking to some guy. I was sadden. The bad part was she had a 30 or more minute conversation while I was looking like a dumbass looking around sitting by myself. Right now I just want to cry. I have a test coming up but as of right now I can't even concentrate no more.

ahhhhhh, see? it's so hard to really glean the whole story, especially if you were in a rush when first posting.....I see now. You sound like a perfect gentleman with sensitivity. I'm sorry I read into what you were saying, the way it was worded just came across wrong.... Yeah, I agree, she doesn't seem to be worthy of you at all, if she couldn't even acknowledge you or introduce you? What a jerk. Don't let anyone abuse you like that.... Did you at least call her on it? I mean when he walked off, did you just sit there and look at her quietly and say, "So, what was that all about?" I hope you did. You shouldn't let anyone get away with that kind of behavior. Don't waste anymore time hurting over this cutie pie, you really have to just focus right now on your test and school...you'll be home soon for the holidays. Enjoy being with your family and maybe while home, get a book from the library on affirmations, things you can say to yourself everyday to energize yourself, encouraging things, things that will start making you realize you are a great kid with so much to offer the world...and just be kind and gentle with yourself. Take care, good luck on your test. (((((((((((((hugz)))))))))))))))

Yeah sorry I didnt type all the details. I was just so depress. I doubted myself many times. I wish I had the confidence or build up confidence to just walk away. I really like her. Its causing me to do stupid things that I thought I would never do. If I didnt like her I would of definately walk away. Its getting better each day. I'm slowly progressing to the point of just thinking of her as a friend or just forget about her at this point. She did many things before to piss me off, but she always apologize. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, but a person can only take so many sorry. I couldnt believe she did that though. I mean I was right next to her and she was talking to him the whole time. She didnt even turn around look at me or see what I was doing. If I didnt lose some of my close friends I would have somone to talk to and forget about her altogether. I thought she was a good friend at the time because she was a good listener and said all the right things.
I've learn a lesson to be less gullible to what a person says. I've also learn a lesson to just break it off from the beginning so I won't get so attach. This experience really hurts me, but I think the learning outweighs the pain I'm feeling right now.

deirdre said:
Sorry, I disagree........... No, let me be clearer...... I STRONGLY disagree. He stated very clearly :

(she) told me to be friends and take it one step at a time. So after forgetting about her, she ask to have lunch. I agree to have lunch with her because I didnt see her for like 2 weeks.

So after forgetting about her sort of connotes he made the decision to walk away.... she wanted to be friends, he didn't. That is exactly implied. She would have continued the relationship as a friendship...he wanted more and so forgot about her. That's my take on it. He didn't say, So after forgetting about ME, she calls me.

PLUS: I think it was very telling that he described this relationship as one that had progressed over some time period, not a few weeks, but a whole semester.....I'm again just saying that he put what he felt as enough time into this, now it was time to move to the next stage, sex. She didn't feel the same way. He saw it as HEY, I put the time in and I'm not getting any return on my investment. I'm sorry, again, I think this is implied.

Unless he meant and didn't express himself properly that she really said, "let's take it slow, let's step away, let's give this a rest for a few weeks" and she walked out the door? Who knows? It's hard, some people don't say clearly exactly what happened... he did say, FORGET HER.... not SHE said Forget YOU.... it could have been HER that said it or implied by saying let's take it slow, step back and yes, actually said see ya in a few weeks. We can't really know can we???

I'm saying, based on how he described it, he comes off as the one who said "forget this", unwilling to just accept a friendship between them for awhile. AND! She's the one who re-establishes contact with him, so again, I'm giving the points to HER and not him. Sorry. That's how I see it - I am just the kind of person who will say, jeesh, seems a bit shallow to me...accept a woman for being more than a outlet for your sexual needs. I am like that- I will say what it sounded like: It sounded like typical male behavior to me. I am an old old lady, saw this scenario a thousand times in my life. If a woman doesn't put out within the self imposed time frame the guy has in his head, he just moves on. she isn't worth the time or trouble to develop a relationship.... it's more about the sex than it is about a human connection, developing a relationship. Sorry, I see this as truly dominant behavior in 80% of the males of our species.

And yes, I totally agree he has to never pressure or assume it's time to have sex, he takes his cues from her and gives her the dignity to choose what is the right time for herself and he is well on his way to a relationship based on true trust.

quick edit here: yeah, i used caps, which denotes yelling, but I did ask Did I hear this right? did I read this right? cause this is my take on it....I certainly wouldn't be totally upset I read it all wrong, I'm just saying, I asked, did I read this right, because this is what it sounds like. Now it's up to him to say yeah, I forgot about her or No, she took the reins - tossed me out and then calls me up again two weeks later like she is playing with a toy

SophiaGrace said:

whoa.

yeah, it is sad that most of us learn this way, only through experience and only by hurting. i often get really impatient with aphorisms cause i think, yeah? so? was that supposed to make me feel better? Standard ones like: When life hands you lemons, make lemonade, You see your glass as half empty or half full, You get stronger in the broken places, Life is not about achieving and getting, it is about learning and growth, They can't hurt you unless you let them. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent (actually, I like this one from Eleanor Roosevelt).
But I found over the years that stupid little sayings actually did help me ..... they became reminders for me to stop thinking in my old negative ways and try to change. At one point, I must have had like 60 or 70 quotes all over the surfaces of everything in my house, my refrigerator, my cabinets, on the bathroom mirror, on the back of the bathroom door.... and I'm talking when I was 50 for goodness sakes, I still needed to be reminded of certain TRUTHS I guess. Some things I just never got when I was young, some things that I just couldn't deal with, and in truth, my negative thinking about myself has really held me back in life. (I had to take them all down in February of this after I had a house fire) I laugh sometimes while I am at this keyboard and wish I could say to the young people here. LOOK KIDDO, DO YOU WANT TO BE AS OLD AS I AM AND BE THIS MISERABLE??????? I feel so worthless with no job, what does that say about me? I know the economy is bad, but why do I quit my jobs and really not give a darn about the consequences? I think it is because I let my pain and my insecurities get in the way, I really do. I say I can't take it anymore, but this last time, I think I could have handled the inappropriate behavior of my boss a whole lot better. In many ways, he wasn't sooooo bad, not like the previous one for goodness sakes, every employee at the older job, oh my god, we all hated our boss, he was such an abusive jerk....and they never said a thing, they just accepted it!!! They took it in stride, why couldn't I? They didn't allow themselves to get bent out of shape over his antics, why did I? This 25 year old kid told me straight out, " Look, the money is good, it's just a job, it's just 8 hours...just let it roll off your back, when you get outta here at 5 it's all over. Relax, kick back and be glad you aren't him." EVERY other person working there could do that but me.

I so believe we are our own worst enemies because we just don't like ourselves and we don't learn to care for ourselves. I sometimes feel that because I never had loving parents or a loving role model, someone to teach me how to value myself, I just have this huge whole inside of me where my self esteem should be. And I truly haven't done the things I need to do to fill that hole myself. Again, I talk a good talk, but often don't walk the walk.

It is so immature. But what good does it do for me to constantly berate myself? I can be such a whiner. Crying in my beer doesn't change a thing, only action does..... so I guess the silly little sayings and adages really need to be put back up. I can remember a bunch of them, "Insist on yourself, never imitate" Ralph Waldo Emerson "Embrace pain and use it as fuel on your journey" Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. stuff like that, oh and yeah, the quintessential one for me: Most people are only as happy as they make up their mind to be. That's the hard one. Yeah, somewhere up there my brain does seem to have chemical imbalances, so they say....but again, after years of thought, research, therapy I have come to believe we get HARD WIRED by our life's experiences to think a certain way about life, people and ourselves...and it's really hard to to change the wiring but we can. We can do it. WE have to believe in ourselves more, our own power to shape our own lives. I have never owned my power, have you? I have never really thought in terms of my strengths and what I have that is positive about me, I always tend to look at what I lack. I think we all do this

so maybe we both need to start filling up the cabinet space or our bulletin boards with more positive sayings.

You and I sound so much alike, we tend to denegrate ourselves and talk down about ourselves.

Last stupid story....I used to teach "wayward" children. I firmly believe there is no such thing as a BAD child, there are just very very hurt ones and they act out their pain, confusion and despair. I guess I was good at it because I KNEW those kids, I resonated to their pain and knew how not to add to it and not react to the outbursts and violence that were symptoms of it. At the beginning of every school year, I would, yeah, I would, don't laugh!!! Dress up as the Goddess
Eostre, ( from which we get the word Easter, Estrogen lol) she was one of the first earth mother goddesses of pagan people....I would don a flowing white robe ( a choir robe actually lol), strew flowers, ivy, twigs, ribbons and other assorted greenery in my hair, around my shoulders, pin them to the robe, I would put native american drumming music on in the background and early on, before I got caught and was told to cut it out, I even lit candles to set the mood. LOL.... we would sit in a circle and I would tell them a tale about myself and then bring out my "sacred bowl" (actually a $3 garage sale find), made of sacred clay from an ancient sacred spring yadda yadda yadda, I would weave this mystical, magical tale about the power of this bowl....and then pass it around and ask the kids (ages 13 to 20) to tell me the worth of this bowl? Some gave me stock stupid answers, It's worth about 2 cents, the girls often just said, it is such a pretty color...but once in awhile, usually the quietest kid of the bunch or the most vehemently aggressive one of the group would be the one to get it and understand.

The worth of the bowl was that it was empty...and could be filled.... and this is what I wanted them to learn at age 13 or 15 or 20...that THEY were a bowl, THEY had the power, They were in charge of themselves and had to make the choices to FILL their bowls with the things that would bring them success and happiness...not all this pain. THEY had to choose and could choose and they had to stop blaming the police and society and this teacher or their drunk mother or their never-there for them dad and just take control... and yeah, stop the drugs and alcohol binging, stop putting crap into themselves to dull the pain.... start putting good stuff into themselves, stuff that will make them stronger, not weaker.

I'm telling you, I never felt more wonderful as a human being than when I was working with these kids, I wasn't the best and most informative teacher around, that's why I got that job really, most teachers don't want to deal with these kids, they were in an alternative school program, from 1 to 6 every day, basically kept in one room for five hours and told to do pages 17-25 in their workbooks. I was pretty brain dead, having not taught for 20 years, you lose your knowledge base...so I wasn't so great at giving kids facts, data and information to learn, but I was good at not accepting BS from them and demanded they try...and lavish huge praise on them for the smallest achievement.

And so I myself have to keep remembering that I too am that bowl, I choose how to see myself and value myself. We just need to learn to take ourselves under our own wing and if need be, love, care, mother and nurture ourselves cause no one else is gonna...and why keep slapping ourselves down? It's just not productive nor helpful...we have to cut ourselves a break and just treat ourselves gently. Oh, lol...that was the sign that was EVERYWHERE in my house. BE GENTLE, BE GENUINE, BE GENEROUS OH GORGEOUS YOU!!!!!

Sweetie, just stop knocking yourself down, try, it is hard, I know, but once you start to love yourself more....you will gain the confidence you need and start actually attracting good stuff and people to you who see it and sense it and want to be around it. Best Wishes and I so hope you have wonderful love filled holidays. brightest blessings and (((((((hugz))))))))))

edit here:

Can I ask you to do me favor? List just three wonderful things about yourself. Write them down and put them somewhere, probably at your desk, where you are forced to see them every day. I'll do it too. Here's what I wrote:
1. I survived Cancer 5 times. I am an incredibly strong person who has survived so much.
2. I am the primo, number one painter of birds on concrete for eco-art that the world has ever seen, yeah, I am.
3. I never treated my children the way my mother treated me.

Latest posts

Back