Hello everyone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shassta

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 43 yo Australian female. It sounds strange but I've only recently realised I've been experiencing loneliness even though it's been with me for a long time. I am surrounded by people in my everyday life, but it's as if there's an invisible barrier between them and me. I was in an abusive relationship which has left me very wary of letting anyone get too close, and also pretty low self esteem which makes me think nobody would find me interesting or attractive enough to want to get to know me anyway. I'm assured this isn't true but it's hard to change ingrained beliefs. So I protect myself with barriers, and enjoy my own space, but also have a feeling of something missing. I come across as very confident and 'together', love my job, I also make and sell jewellery, and have a lot to be grateful for in life, it would just be nice to be able to share the ups and downs of life with others. It's something many people don't understand, so I don't talk about it much. I'm thinking maybe other people here might 🙂

It's definitely not easy to believe that you don't have to be wary of people after being in an abusive relationship or when you have low self esteem. Just try not to let those things get in the way of your happiness. Remember you have to give a little to get. (Talking about giving some of that barrier)
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad you're here Shassta. It sounds like you discovered that your "normal" arrangements with life weren't working so well. A good thing to know while you're still young.....and 43 seems young to me....I'm 2 decades older. I make things with my hands too; my medium is wood. I hope you stick around on this forum.

welcome im new here too ,you sound alot like me (maybe like alot on here) apart from i dont come across as confident and not artistic in any way (wish i was) self expression via surfing if that counts !!

Corineus said:
welcome im new here too ,you sound alot like me (maybe like alot on here) apart from i dont come across as confident and not artistic in any way (wish i was) self expression via surfing if that counts !!

I'd say surfing is definitely an art form. I live near the coast, love the beach :)

HopefulBoy said:
Hey Shassta, Welcome :)

Thank you 🙂

Hey Shassta ,welcome to ALL

you've got great talent ,you're very strong person like you told about yourself.

Welcome, and sorry for the late reply X)
Yes, I do think most here would understand, even if we are all individuals. Stay well o/

Welcome to the forum!

When people close themselves off as a defense mechanism it will take time to break down that barrier, I've had a wall up around me for years and am happy to say it's closer to a fence now, you can only do it yourself and it will be hard.

Latest posts

Back