Hi all. Just another new guy.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everywhen

Reaction score
So I finally decided to join the board. Over the past two years I've been here browsing through topics every once in a while, whilst trying to find an answer to the perpetual loneliness that pervades my life.

I'm 21, male, currently in my 3rd year at university in the UK, although I don't know how much longer (might have to do an additional year due to my general situation and making some stupid decisions :( ).

I can't remember ever really having friends. I mean, I occasionally hung out with a few people back at school, but that was very sporadic and I never really felt accepted as a person. I've never really had a social circle. We did things together but I always felt like I was just on the sidelines and had to present an artificial me to get along with them.

So yeah, I guess I'm here now... maybe people on here have a better idea on how to make friends (HAH... wrong forum :D I guess people with proper social lives would be difficult to find here). Either way, it'll (hopefully) help me get a better grasp of my problems.

Cheers y'all!

Heey there man, welcome to the forums, or well, welcome to the member list. :p I hope you'll find what you're looking for here!

everywhen said:
We did things together but I always felt like I was just on the sidelines and had to present an artificial me to get along with them.

Sounds very familiar to me. It's a difficult trick to try and find the people you can be your true self with. I'm still searching, as well. But they're there.

everywhen said:
(HAH... wrong forum :D I guess people with proper social lives would be difficult to find here).

There's a big difference between feeling lonely and having a social life, unfortantely. Solitude and loneliness are two entirely different things, and two concept often being mixed together.

Anyway, good you have decided to join, i'm sure you'll fit right in!

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Hope you'll find some new friends to make from this forum.

everywhen said:
Over the past two years I've been here browsing through topics every once in a while, whilst trying to find an answer to the perpetual loneliness that pervades my life.

Hello there,

Two years? What took you so long??

Welcome to the site!

Hello and welcome everywhen

You might be surprised, how much good advice, can come from people in same or similar situations as you. Some people here have social lives just fine (lonely vs alone as some one said already) but as well there are other situations people can give advice from.

People who were alone and made a friend so can give advice from that.. People who can give wonderful advice, but they do not really follow it themself, because it is much easier to see things clearly about some one else's situation.. People who also do not yet know answers, but can help to illuminate the problems... and so on. So please do not think you are in the wrong place.

Hi, welcome :)

I hope you find some good friends here. Everyone seems really lovely so far. I'm sure we can learn from each other, even though making friends is probably something we all struggle with. I always used to ask my sister "how do you make friends?" and even though she always had lots, the only reply she could ever offer was "you just talk to them." She just couldn't see if from my point of view. I think it's much easier to get an answer from someone who has experienced the same problems.

Hey and welcome!

I found Uni to be a really lonely place. I didn't live in halls, didn't take part in the drinking culture, and I went to a very prestigious university where my background meant I just didn't fit in with most of the "old money" clique that were on my course.

So I hear you on that one

Hope you find what you're looking for here :D

Welcome! :)
I've been a member here for awhile now but I come back quite often as I can.
This is a really nice place here and I met some friends myself.
and I hope you find new friends here as well. Just be yourself and feel free to message anyone that you find interesting.
I'm sure you'll meet new friends in time.

Latest posts

Back