Hi everyone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherrytree

Reaction score
I'm a 17 year old girl, my real name's Helena. I live in the Netherlands, and I'm attending my senior year at highschool.

All in all, I don't think I have much to complain about.
I have awesome friends, a boyfriend, very loving parents and a brother I can really get along with.

Nonetheless I've been through some really tough times. I've experienced things that have changed me a lot, and not for the better.
Now, this might be a bit of a long story, so don't feel obligated to read it.

When I was starting highschool at the age of 12 I got confronted with things that I wasn't at all ready for. My best friend at that time started to sink away in depression. She would cry at school, cut herself, lock herself up in the bathroom and bang her head against the door. She was getting scarily thin, she'd say she was possesed by the devil, diagnose herself with borderline, and she has tried to commit suicide three times.

During all of this I was in a completely powerless position. I tried everything I could to help her, but I never could. I also never understood what the reason was for her depression. It was just there. For being so useless and ignorant I blamed myself constantly. I would also be the one person she would vent her anger on. And about almost everything she would start a fight and give me the silent-treatment for days.

I've never had much confidence, but when all this began I started to loathe myself and beat myself into the ground. I didn't consider myself worthy of anyone else's time, I didn't want to bother anyone with my issues and so I never talked. I isolated myself in my room, I disconnected myself from other friends I had, and I would be cranky and distant around everyone else. For about two years loneliness was the center of my life.

I've gotten over most of this. Everything changed for me when I grew closer to one of my friends. It was really important for me to be accepted and liked by someone else, because that allowed me to see the good in myself. So compared to then, I'm now doing quite well. I'm also very glad to say that my friend is doing so much better. In the end I don't think there would have been a way for me to help her, it was something she had to get through herself, because for some part she herself might have been the cause of it.

But to this day I still have a lot of trouble socializing. There is still a part of me that's very insecure and scared of doing something wrong. I'm still somehow convinced that people will ignore me and turn their backs on me. It takes me a lot of time before I can trust someone, and get comfortable. And most people aren't that patient.

The insecurity is holding me back from a lot of things, like meeting new people or getting a job. Mostly in school I get very lonely (I don't have much classes with my friends), and I'm afraid it'll be the same when I start college. Especially because then I'll be seperated from all my friends.

I'd do anything to rise above this, and I thought that this forum would be well worth a try.
And if you'll have me, I'd love to try and help you out too.

*hugs* I hope we here at ALL can help you find the confidence you need to interact with others.

I'm so sorry to hear about what you went through. :(

Welcome Helena

Helena, I can relate to some of the root issues you struggle with, and I commend you for recognizing how these events have impacted you and for trying to overcome them. It is nice to have you here.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. But you seem to do very well compared to me for example. And you live in Holland! It must be awesome to buy weed legally! (if you use it , or will since you are just 17 :p) Although they banned shrooms recently and many coffeeshops are closing. :(
WTF is going on there!? Is there somekind of religious conservative movement going on? If so , that sucks!
Sorry I got sidetracked , if it bothers you. Take care!

Thanks for all the comments and support everyone :)

Maui_Waui said:
I am sorry to hear about your friend. But you seem to do very well compared to me for example. And you live in Holland! It must be awesome to buy weed legally! (if you use it , or will since you are just 17 :p) Although they banned shrooms recently and many coffeeshops are closing. :(
WTF is going on there!? Is there somekind of religious conservative movement going on? If so , that sucks!

Heh, funny people always think of that first when they hear Holland. I guess it's what this country is most known for xD
The shrooms are mostly banned because tourists started using them excessively which caused them to jump from buildings and such. I've tried weed twice, but it's not really for me. Haven't tried the mushrooms, and I guess that'll be harder now since they're no longer legal. Doesn't really bother me though. Even if they're softdrugs I'd rather not use them.

Cherrytree said:
Thanks for all the comments and support everyone :)

Maui_Waui said:

Heh, funny people always think of that first when they hear Holland. I guess it's what this country is most known for xD
The shrooms are mostly banned because tourists started using them excessively which caused them to jump from buildings and such. I've tried weed twice, but it's not really for me. Haven't tried the mushrooms, and I guess that'll be harder now since they're no longer legal. Doesn't really bother me though. Even if they're softdrugs I'd rather not use them.

A lot of people say that the problems here with "soft drugs" would be lessened if they made them legal. I don't know.

Anyway, welcome to ALL Helena! That is a very pretty name!

It depends on what kind of problems you're talking about I guess.
I myself haven't really found any problems with soft drugs being legal, so maybe that statement is at least partially true.
But I don't really know myself either, I'm not entirely up-to-date on this.
I always thought even soft drugs are terrible but it turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought at first.
Not that I'd still recommend using them of course, I think you're always better off without.

And thank you LonelyDragon! :)
I must say that I really like your avatar, it's cute ^^

Cherrytree said:
The shrooms are mostly banned because tourists started using them excessively which caused them to jump from buildings and such.

I dont think thats a proper reason to ban any substance. Just think how many people have jumped of bridges and balconys drunk or killed their family members. Not to mention drinking and driving with really bad consequences!
So we should ban alcohol! The tourist problem in Netherlands would be solved by legalizing soft drugs everywhere in EU. That would be the end of drug tourism. Mushrooms and other psychedelics are not party drugs. Bad trips are mostly caused by wrong set & setting.

Maui_Waui said:
Cherrytree said:
The shrooms are mostly banned because tourists started using them excessively which caused them to jump from buildings and such.

I dont think thats a proper reason to ban any substance. Just think how many people have jumped of bridges and balconys drunk or killed their family members. Not to mention drinking and driving with really bad consequences!
So we should ban alcohol! The tourist problem in Netherlands would be solved by legalizing soft drugs everywhere in EU. That would be the end of drug tourism. Mushrooms and other psychedelics are not party drugs. Bad trips are mostly caused by wrong set & setting.

Yeah I agree. I'm sure that there have been more reasons for the ban of the shrooms though, but this is the one I heard of the most. And I don't think there's a need to ban alcohol either. We hear a lot about drunk driving and such, but in the end it's not as bad as the media implies. All the people I know wouldn't have a glass of alcohol if they still needed to drive.

Anyway, quite of topic, all this :p
I don't mind personally though.

And thanks for the welcome VanillaCreme! :)

Latest posts

Back