Hi from a new member

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David75

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I found this forum when looking for people in a similar situation.

I have no family as they are all deceased and only a couple of friends. I have no children and live alone save for my two cats.

My world really came crumbling down in February of 2022 when my best friend ended her own life. We were very close so her loss has sparked intense anxiety, depression and loneliness like I have never experienced before. She was my world and now my world is gone.

I want to be happy (or at least content) and meet new people but am hindered by so many things. I work seven days a week, I work at night and I'm an introvert, so rebuilding a social life is a definite challenge for me. Plus, at my age (47) it seems like everyone has their lives established so there is no room for me. It seems like I'm always am afterthought. I am at the point where I feel like there is no hope for me. I miss being someone's favorite person.

My life has become the same thing every single day. Go to work, go home and think about how great it was to matter to people. It is like rinse and repeat... over and over again.

The people I talk to do not understand how being alone affects every aspect of your life. It's not only about feeling alone but about practical things as well. Things like what happens if I die? What happens if I get really sick? Who will pick me up if my car breaks down? Bringing in the groceries, etc., etc., etc. I keep hearing things like just go do things or go online and meet people. However, it's not that simple. They look at my situation through their eyes... they don't get it.

There are so many things I want to do and experience but being alone makes these things impossible. I'm guess I'm just looking for people that understand my plight.

Thanks for listening.

Hi. Welcome.
Condolences on your friend.

What kind of work do you do? Seven days a week sounds very rough. Everyone needs a break sometimes.

I'm 10 years older than you, but in a similar boat socially for the most part.
I had surgery on a broken ankle last year, and they will not sign you in unless you have a ride home. I had no one.
So I gave the Uber guy that drove me to the hospital $200 to tell them that he was my neighbor and pick me up when I was discharged.
He was a nice guy, and happy to have $200 off the books, but it sucks not having family members to do this type of thing for me.

Welcome David, you’re not alone on this site. Many in your situation. As unsigned asked, I’m curious about your work too. I’ve said this before about tough situations people are facing, nothing will change unless you force a change. You have to look at that. Wishing you well.

Hi. Welcome.
Condolences on your friend.

What kind of work do you do? Seven days a week sounds very rough. Everyone needs a break sometimes.

I'm 10 years older than you, but in a similar boat socially for the most part.
I had surgery on a broken ankle last year, and they will not sign you in unless you have a ride home. I had no one.
So I gave the Uber guy that drove me to the hospital $200 to tell them that he was my neighbor and pick me up when I was discharged.
He was a nice guy, and happy to have $200 off the books, but it sucks not having family members to do this type of thing for me.
Hey, nice to meet you.

I'm I'm newspaper distribution. The money is great but the circumstances are atrocious. I'm an "independent contractor" so I have no rights. The last days I had off were a month ago when I took off to mourn my best friend's passing. Besides that it is 365 days a year.

I get the whole medical thing. I'm always thinking to myself "who do I even put down as an emergency contact?". To be honest it's kind of embarrassing.

Welcome David, you’re not alone on this site. Many in your situation. As unsigned asked, I’m curious about your work too. I’ve said this before about tough situations people are facing, nothing will change unless you force a change. You have to look at that. Wishing you well.
I work in newspaper distribution and to be honest it sucks. The money is great but as I've learned, money doesn't equal happiness.

Welcome to the forum! I have been alone for much of my life including the past 14 or so years. I rarely even speak to anybody. I have gotten quite comfortable flying completely solo. If I need assistance I'll just suffer without it. If I get sick and die it doesn't really matter. So, I don't worry about it. However, I try to stay as healthy as I can since I don't use medical care.

Welcome David. <3

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can message me.
There's really nothing I can say that will fill the void you're feeling at the moment, but just know, that there are other people out there - some of them right here on this website, that can at least take your mind off of the things that are bothering you. I've said this before and I'll say it again, there is something comforting about being able to come here, at nearly any time of the day or night, and know that there are others on here who will do something as simple as play a game with you - a simple distraction from the things that are plaguing you.

All that to say, welcome to the forums. And I hope you find a little solace here..

Latest posts

Back