Hi guys

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

init2winit

Hi guys.
I'm 35. Male. Fairly attractive guy I guess.

I also have social anxiety. It used to be worse than it is now, but it still keeps me from doing things.

I'll try to summarize a little bit about myself... and I'll focus on my struggles, because thats where I'm at right now I guess.

My mind is so different from other people's. Sometimes when I try to relate to people I end up feeling so completely out of place and insecure. Usually I'm better off just being myself, but I'm so far out on a different plane than most people. Most of the time I don't understand why people think certain things are funny... its like they'll laugh at anything. They seem so shallow and I sometimes get the feeling like, they're idiots.
When my mind is free, I'm pretty fun. But most of the time I find my mind caught in the tracks of my own train of thought. I just brood and I get really morose and stuck in my own head about whatever...

I've been really depressed lately, as badly depressed as I've ever been. And I've been depressed for basically my entire life. But I try to never let it show. Don't get me wrong, I've had some good moments and I try to stay cheerful, but its been really difficult lately.

Anyway, I hope to make some friends here. I hope this is a good place for me, and I hope I can contribute something too.

Hey I2W. Nice to meet Ya! =)

My mind is so different from other people's.

I got that too, big time.

Sometimes when I try to relate to people I end up feeling so completely out of place and insecure.

Have You thought of why Your mind is so different and feel out of place? What has been different with Your upbringing compared to other people? Do You know? If You find people who are overly happy as idiots, does that mean that You despise them so much that You try to keep Yourself unhappy to not "end up" like them, perhaps indirectly?

I don't feel hit or anything, but i'm one of those people who laugh alot. While "everyone" else might think something's just funny, i'm often the only one who actually starts laughing, as in a short chuckle. Do i do that because i have some abnormalities in my brain caused by my worthless childhood, or because i'm simply much more happy then everyone else are nowadays? Of course i can't say "i know", but i'm quite sure that i simply see life much more positively than most people; are truly able to see and be happy about all that i've got, which isn't much, but still special to me. I try to follow along people as i might, and if they don't allow me hop on the same train as them (metaphorically) within 30 minutes, i don't bother anymore because i know we're never going to get along; the other guy's probably unhappy and want to stay away from people happier than him. Very common, as well as here online. I'm definitely not shallow, but i do see laughter as an important part of life and try to make others laugh as much as i can simply to give them that gift.

In my case though, when i introduce myself as the overly content person i am when i meet new people, people like me for it and thereby get personal and friendly towards me really quick, if they're like me in some way. While i might be "different" in the positive direction (an abnormally happy guy), You might be "different" in the other one. And if You are, does that mean You actually get along better with unhappy people? Being around people who dislike life for some reason/reasons might be one of the reasons You've developed an anxiety to socialize; why should You talk to others freely if it only brings You bad news anyway? Just trying to bring You some insights You might not have had before.

Think alot, eh? Well, i know how that can bring You down. Not necessarily down to sadness, but from glad to content. You seem sensitive to something. Is it negative thoughts? Bad things in general?

Might be having Your mid-life crisis. They tend to come earlier if You've for a long time lived with milder thoughts than those that usually bring them to life, like watering it. Nevertheless, do You know if there have crawled in any new thoughts lately, or if the one's You've always had simply has started to squeeze You harder?

Anyway, I hope to make some friends here. I hope this is a good place for me, and I hope I can contribute something too.

I'm glad You came here of all the places on the net. We're gonna try and give You the best medicine remote counselling and friendship can give!

Hello, I can really relate to what you say, my mind is really out there too and I do see a lot of people as shallow and hey maybe they are idiots who are we to judge?:D

Welcome to the forum hope to see you around

Robin said:
Hey I2W. Nice to meet Ya! =)

My mind is so different from other people's.

I got that too, big time.

Sometimes when I try to relate to people I end up feeling so completely out of place and insecure.

Have You thought of why Your mind is so different and feel out of place? What has been different with Your upbringing compared to other people? Do You know? If You find people who are overly happy as idiots, does that mean that You despise them so much that You try to keep Yourself unhappy to not "end up" like them, perhaps indirectly?

I don't feel hit or anything, but i'm one of those people who laugh alot. While "everyone" else might think something's just funny, i'm often the only one who actually starts laughing, as in a short chuckle. Do i do that because i have some abnormalities in my brain caused by my worthless childhood, or because i'm simply much more happy then everyone else are nowadays? Of course i can't say "i know", but i'm quite sure that i simply see life much more positively than most people; are truly able to see and be happy about all that i've got, which isn't much, but still special to me. I try to follow along people as i might, and if they don't allow me hop on the same train as them (metaphorically) within 30 minutes, i don't bother anymore because i know we're never going to get along; the other guy's probably unhappy and want to stay away from people happier than him. Very common, as well as here online. I'm definitely not shallow, but i do see laughter as an important part of life and try to make others laugh as much as i can simply to give them that gift.

In my case though, when i introduce myself as the overly content person i am when i meet new people, people like me for it and thereby get personal and friendly towards me really quick, if they're like me in some way. While i might be "different" in the positive direction (an abnormally happy guy), You might be "different" in the other one. And if You are, does that mean You actually get along better with unhappy people? Being around people who dislike life for some reason/reasons might be one of the reasons You've developed an anxiety to socialize; why should You talk to others freely if it only brings You bad news anyway? Just trying to bring You some insights You might not have had before.

Think alot, eh? Well, i know how that can bring You down. Not necessarily down to sadness, but from glad to content. You seem sensitive to something. Is it negative thoughts? Bad things in general?

Might be having Your mid-life crisis. They tend to come earlier if You've for a long time lived with milder thoughts than those that usually bring them to life, like watering it. Nevertheless, do You know if there have crawled in any new thoughts lately, or if the one's You've always had simply has started to squeeze You harder?

I'm glad You came here of all the places on the net. We're gonna try and give You the best medicine remote counselling and friendship can give!

You're squeezing a lot out of what I posted.
Its not that I'm negative all that much... usually I try not to be, but lately any alcohol I have spins my mind. Alcohol in particular. And it doesn't even have to be much. I haven't been taking very good care of myself lately and that has a lot to do with my current situation I think. So I decided I'll quit drinking. I had a couple of beers yesterday and none today. None tomorrow... and I think I'm done with booze. I might have a little trouble sleeping, but I've been a beer drinker... about 6 in the evenings. Alone of course.

I'm a scientist by trade. I analyze everything. People, situations... everything. There's basically no "off" button... everything is fair game to be dissected until I understand it. I used to be very religious, and I'm still spiritual but I've been spending the last few years trying to figure out the meaning of life. This is part of what has me wound so tight lately. I figured it out. It sounds crazy, but its not something I'm particularly glad I spent my time on. Well, maybe thats not true. Now I can move on. But it didn't feel glorious - its not what I wanted it to be. I don't want to get into that here.

I want to laugh like you do, Robin. And I can. And sometimes I do. Sometimes I am side-bustingly hilarious, but not at all lately. I feel myself getting there though. Back to my happy self. And that's a person that people really like to be around. Its just that when I start to get close to people, a part of me kicks in that wants to guard myself. So bam... the walls go up all at once, and I go from being this cool, funny, quirky person to being a brooding, morose, creepy guy that bails out emotionally for no reason. Its my baggage, and I'm working on it.

Thanks for responding. You are really super nice and I can tell you've got a lot of wisdom. You got me thinking about some things that are good to think about.

I'm glad to be here. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Hi init2winit. I read somewhere that you called your self old errrr am only 33 (just :D) and am not old. So stop that. You well be giving me a complex :D Also I always say u gotta b init2winit every time I buy a lotto ticket. Never won it but I remain optimistic :D

Did the alcohol perhaps cause an unaware conflict between Your leading characteristics? Well, it's obvious You understood that it was bad for You, so it's nice to see that the "good" side of You has a strong will too! ;) I've never been interested in harming myself in any way (not counting the suicide attempts i performed back when i was deeply depressed) and count alcohol in there, although i love a cider from time to time, which only helps the immune-system to better handle poisons in the future if consumed in moderation. If You ever go back there, reward Yourself with one beer a day and You'll actually do a good thing for Yourself. Beer's quite a source of calories, as i'm sure You know, so why not consume them early on instead so You can walk 'em off? Just don't drink-&-drive, if driving is what You do! That sure won't help anyone! ;)

Hmm... so You analyse everything. When i'm observing someone i sure can't rest my thoughts either, about how that person might be, but when the actual greet is to take place and when the talking starts, i let the talk take over and decide whether or not this person's someone i could get along with. Have You asked Yourself why You have to be certain about people and situations? Do You see Yourself as better or worse (alot or slightly; makes no real difference) than most people and too sensitive and/or important or unimportant to expose Yourself to the potential behaviour and different thoughts a person might have? Are You a perfectionist? Are You excessively tied up with what Your long-term thoughts have been telling You about other people? What was is that You found out; what is Your reality with life itself? Did this make You afraid and/or unable to accept people who don't share Your idea with the meaning of life? Might be repeating myself here, but since i don't see any answers or speculations to some problems in Your post i just want to make You understand Yourself better by acting as a wall of understanding, which You might have heard of.

I want to laugh like you do, Robin. And I can. And sometimes I do. Sometimes I am side-bustingly hilarious, but not at all lately.

There came some well-needed clarity for me to this session. You obviously have something relatively new on Your mind which changes things. Without knowing this new entity, which seems to have something to do with what You found out about life itself, i can't help You much further with this part, because my meaning of life might differ from Yours and i'm just 21 years old after all, and are an absolute atheist.

I feel myself getting there though. Back to my happy self. And that's a person that people really like to be around.

There's something about expressive, happy people! ;) "Back to my happy self"; again, what has changed You? Any hints at all?

Its just that when I start to get close to people, a part of me kicks in that wants to guard myself. So bam... the walls go up all at once, and I go from being this cool, funny, quirky person to being a brooding, morose, creepy guy that bails out emotionally for no reason. Its my baggage, and I'm working on it.

First of all, that sounds very much like the crisis we have during our early teen-age. Since i'm yet to face the second crisis i can't be sure how similar the first and second one are, but i'm quite certain that it is a developing-crisis You are facing, as in the mid-life one. Your mind is tired of itself and needs to renew somehow to become greater again and that's perfectly natural to have a real hard time with overcoming, even though this type of crisis' usually come crawling over a few months. The fact that You turned to others for help as well as proved Yourself to be strong enough to quit drinking indicates that You've already been through the worst stages of this period and recently entered the one's where You more constructively can reflect on Your life, which can take longer to deal with though.

I2W, have You lost something recently, or have strong feelings for something You wish You'd have? Dare i say, it is a friend or two? Love? Children? During the less hysteric and hard-thinking period of a crisis it's most often extremely important to have someone to talk to. It can make the entire difference between getting "sane" again and falling into a depression. Again, it's great that You came here and took the dive to reveal Your situation! You know what You need! ;)

Secondly, You say You get some sort of defence up like crazy all of a sudden. You know what that is, I2W? That's Your old self backing the new one up, because it's freaking out right now over all these new thoughts. Your old self desperately wants to change and are terrified of it at the same time. You might not feel so terrified, but we're all different and that's only good. It doesn't have anything to do with intelligence (if You're worried about that); even Steven Hawkins would be badly confused and off-track during a crisis. You're not crazy or weird either! ;)

I2W, You need friendship and time to get over this, put simply. You need to try new things out to find new hobbies and i would recommend talking to people You usually wouldn't, whether it's online or off-line, to get a wider aspect of people. Your old world is about to clash with a new one once more, and if You dare to take this step and accept Yourself and Your new thoughts You're going to see that it wasn't so bad as You thought. Words can't hurt You, right? ;) A "delayed growth" is going on right now, and as long as You try to relax some and have some fun some times for the next couple of months i think You're going to pass through this just fine. So, without feeling mean, i can say "Let Yourself grow up, I2W!" even though i'm not far from half Your age! ;)

Amazing isn't it... we humans i mean. We "need" a new set of thoughts from time to time to feel allright, but at the same time fight those off like we're in a war with ourselves.

Since i'm not totally aware of what it truly is that has set this crisis in motion i can't say for sure if there are any complications present which might be interfering, or might have interfered, with Your work to get better. It's not unusual to be reminded of old, bad times when You're going through something like this, and if You'd care to share some of that too it would be easier to help You.

Bluey said:
Hi init2winit. I read somewhere that you called your self old errrr am only 33 (just :D) and am not old. So stop that. You well be giving me a complex :D Also I always say u gotta b init2winit every time I buy a lotto ticket. Never won it but I remain optimistic :D

LoL! Aren't You funny? ;) You rock, Bluey! =)

Listen to some Prokofiev and Shostakovich, then tell me what you think.
If you love it because its really dramatic, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Latest posts

Back