Hi

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sad sack

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I discovered this place a few nights ago. I was bored and lonely as usual, typed "loneliness" or some derivative into google and this site came up. Hopefully I can meet some friends here, or at least enjoy it enough here to stop by and kill some time. I've been in chat a few times. The people there seem cool. I guess I should tell you a little bit about myself.

As my name implies, I am a sad sack. I always expect the worst in life. And why not? I am pretty much a total failure. I'm 30 years old, live in the eastern U.S., work for a quasi-governmental agency and am very much alone.

My loneliness is somewhat by choice and somewhat due to circumstances. I had friends once upon a time but I abandoned them all a few years when I had a mental breakdown of sorts. Never bothered to go back, and being that I'm pretty shy and socially awkward, I never made any new ones. I had a girlfriend......once.....briefly. I'd like to meet somebody one day but I'm not holding my breath on that one. For about two years pretty much all I did was read, watch TV, take long walks, aimlessly surf the net and sleep. Lots of sleeping in those days.

For a long time I was fine being alone in my own strange bubble. About a year ago that changed. I met somebody online that I really connected with and even after a falling out, that gave me a desire to socialize again....even if it was only over the internet. I've met some cool people so far but they seem to come and go :( Anyway, now I've become an internet junkie. Hopefully I can meet some nice people here too.

I read a lot. H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King are my favorite writers. Watership Down is a great book too. I'm also a fan of the Harry Potter, Dan Brown, and "Narnia" books.

I don't watch my TV nowadays but I'm hooked on The Office and Fringe. Seinfeld is my all time favorite show. I was also a big Simpsons and South Park fan. I used to be a TV junkie. Chances are if it's obscure, I've seen it at some point.

Some of my favorite movies include The Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski, all the Star Wars movies except Phantom Menace, Rocky 2-4, Clockwork Orange and The Usual Suspects.

I used to be really into sports when I was younger. Not so much anymore, although I still follow the NFL pretty closely. I was also a huge pro wrestling fan once upon a time.

I don't have a religious affiliation. I believe in a higher power. I just think he/she/it is totally insane and/or indifferent to us lowly humans. I'm pretty nihilistic. There isn't too much I care about. Nor do I get excited about things very often.

But I'm not all doom and gloom 24/7. I swear! I don't think anybody can pull that off. It's more like 20/6 in my case :p

I also know tons of useless information. I'd probably kill on Jeopardy if I could get over the stage fright.

Some of my favorite bands are Europe~!, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, GnR, older Metallica and Rush. I like My Chemical Romance a lot too. As you can see, I mainly like classic rock/old school heavy metal but I went through country and hip hop phases as well.

OK. I think I've rambled on enough. Now I'm just telling bad jokes. This is why I didn't post right away. I tend to be long-winded and rambling. Needed to make sure I had plenty of time to type away as the thoughts came to me :p

Hey, and welcome. :)

Well, being Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time (thus far), I'd say you have fantastic cinematic
taste. And the Coen brothers are brilliant, by the way!:D The Usual Suspects is my second favorite movie - Kevin Spacey knows his craft. :D

I don't get the opportunity to watch much TV, but I've seen Fringe a few times and it seems to be a good fit for the next
X-Files type program. :p It was fairly interesting.

I'm a fan of King's older works - Carrie, Christine, The Shining...
Have you ever read Dean Koontz?

Europe - The Final Countdown! :p lol
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills is likely my favorite.
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Comin' are my faves.
GnR - I grew up on their music. Welcome to the Jungle baby! :p Too bad Axl Rose is a ******. o_O
Metallica - Before Black. =\
Rush - Most underrated band - EVER! Neil Peart is the best drummer - EVER!!

lol, again, welcome. :p

Thanks for the friendly welcome everybody!

EveWasFramed said:
Hey, and welcome. :)

Well, being Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time (thus far), I'd say you have fantastic cinematic
taste. And the Coen brothers are brilliant, by the way!:D The Usual Suspects is my second favorite movie - Kevin Spacey knows his craft. :D

I don't get the opportunity to watch much TV, but I've seen Fringe a few times and it seems to be a good fit for the next
X-Files type program. :p It was fairly interesting.

I'm a fan of King's older works - Carrie, Christine, The Shining...
Have you ever read Dean Koontz?

Europe - The Final Countdown! :p lol
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills is likely my favorite.
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Comin' are my faves.
GnR - I grew up on their music. Welcome to the Jungle baby! :p Too bad Axl Rose is a ******. o_O
Metallica - Before Black. =\
Rush - Most underrated band - EVER! Neil Peart is the best drummer - EVER!!

lol, again, welcome. :p

You have great taste in movies and music Eve! :cool: Shawshank is my favorite movie as well. Fringe is very X-Files-ish, but I like that. Since I don't care much for the 'normal' world, I like weird, paranormal stuff like that.

I've read a lot of King's work, but it seems like everytime I mention I'm a fan of his, people always talk about the books I haven't read. OK, I did read the Shining, but not the other two. My library didn't have either and I'm a huge cheapskate so I never bought them. Maybe I'll check out the new fancy library they built a few months ago. My favorite King books are It, The Stand, and the 2nd to 4th Dark Tower books. I also like most of his short stories.

I thumbed through a Dean Koontz book at the library once but didn't check it out. Maybe I will the next time I go on a reading frenzy.

*sighs* Europe had more than one good song! Seriously, they did! OK, you don't believe me. Nobody ever does, but Europe rocks:p

I prefer to see Axl as an eccentric but I can see where you're opinion of him being a ****** comes from. I just like to think if I was famous I'd probably be a lot like Axl lol

Lmao...you're funni..

80's metal rules...:)

Probably becuase you hear metal wild you where still in the womb.

or your parents put you in the baby sit, went cruzing and blast'in to Judas prist....
You fell asleep....like an angle to "seek and destroyed "

sad sack said:
I read a lot. H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King are my favorite writers. Watership Down is a great book too. I'm also a fan of the Harry Potter, Dan Brown, and "Narnia" books.

I read a fair bit of Lovecraft when I was younger. I might go back to it again. I've just read Robert E Howard's Conan stories which was a refreshing change for me. Howard and Lovecraft had much in common.

sad sack said:
I don't watch my TV nowadays but I'm hooked on The Office and Fringe. Seinfeld is my all time favorite show. I was also a big Simpsons and South Park fan. I used to be a TV junkie. Chances are if it's obscure, I've seen it at some point.

South Park! Why did I stop watching that? It was hilarious! Oh yeah, I got a girlfriend!:(

sad sack said:
Some of my favorite bands are Europe~!, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, GnR, older Metallica and Rush. I like My Chemical Romance a lot too. As you can see, I mainly like classic rock/old school heavy metal but I went through country and hip hop phases as well.

Europe!:D Cool! I've found myself moving more towards nu-metal (hate that expression) in the last year or so. Always room for old school metal, though.

sad sack said:
OK. I think I've rambled on enough. Now I'm just telling bad jokes. This is why I didn't post right away. I tend to be long-winded and rambling. Needed to make sure I had plenty of time to type away as the thoughts came to me :p

Welcome to the forum Sad Sack. It was a good introduction. Enjoy your time here.

Lonesome Crow said:
Lmao...you're funni..

80's metal rules...

Probably becuase you hear metal wild you where still in the womb.

or your parents put you in the baby sit, went cruzing and blast'in to Judas prist....
You fell asleep....like an angle to "seek and destroyed "

ty :D I think I'm funny too......for a little while. Then I get old and redundant. Even I get tired of my lame jokes after a while :p

80's metal does rule. I wish my parents listened to metal when I was in the womb! I'm pretty sure they listened to disco and 60's music though :( See, that's why I like metal. Everything I do is some sort of opposite reaction :p

Nyktimos said:
I read a fair bit of Lovecraft when I was younger. I might go back to it again. I've just read Robert E Howard's Conan stories which was a refreshing change for me. Howard and Lovecraft had much in common.

South Park! Why did I stop watching that? It was hilarious! Oh yeah, I got a girlfriend!:(

Europe!:D Cool! I've found myself moving more towards nu-metal (hate that expression) in the last year or so. Always room for old school metal, though.

I like Robert E. Howard but I hated the Conan stories. I generally don't like "good guys"/heroes anyway. They're usually boring. Conan is different. He's just a straight up ******. Every Conan story I read, I was like "God, I hope that jackass gets killed off in this story."

The animated series in the mid-90's was awesome though. I used to watch that and Exo Squad every day before school :p

You should have got a girlfriend who liked South Park! j/k....kinda :p

I liked nu-metal for a while. Now, not so much. Except System of a Down. They were great.

packyourbags said:
hey

you sound like a cool guy!
really

ty ty. You people are all so nice! I'm really not cool though. In fact, if you were to line up all the people in the world from coolest to least coolest, I'd be near the back of the line somewhere. It's sad but true :(

Latest posts

Back