House swapping or couch surfing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peaches said:
also I would like to point the fact that these are not just random strangers on the street, but there is a selection, you can see their names, their homes, their Facebook friends, and there is a reputation system so if someone had a bad experience they can write it, so it IS a bit safer than going with people you don't know.

Sure would beat a doorway or alley.

Have to agree with the naysayers on this, I too would never offer/rent any part of my house to strangers, be it man or woman. It isnt just about trustworthiness, it also has to do with hygiene and privacy and when it comes to that I'm very much shielded and critical. And by all means couchsurfing isnt the equivalent of meeting new people by definition, we are talking about letting a stranger into your personal living space and letting him/her sleep under your roof without knowing his/her level of hygiene, customs and/or character and allthough the prospect of meeting someone new can be exiting a couple of reviews about a person are/were just other peoples observation of that person and has absolutely nothing to do with one's personal criteria.

On the other hand something good might come from such contacts as well, thats in the risk/chance factor just as much. In the end it all comes down to personal preference based on character and experiences but one cannnot dismiss one's instinct for survival. From an evolutionairy point of view being suspicious and careful with/around unknowns could (or even should) be considered healthy and the safest thing to do.

On the flip side I'm in a position where couch surfing or renting a spare room will be an ideal stopgap as I'm still paying the mortgage on a house I own but can't live in because I'm waiting to divorce my wife. I can't afford to rent a whole apartment or house. Can understand people's fears about opening up their home to strangers though

Airbnb gone bad
images

http://globalnews.ca said:
It’s become a popular way to earn some extra cash, with people renting out their homes to strangers through sites such as Airbnb, HomeAway and VRBO. But, a Calgary family couldn’t believe what happened to their home in just one weekend.

"Calgary home completely trashed by Airbnb renters"

JUST DO IT :)

Dunno I've never couch surfed but really want to try it at some point. As a very shy/ at one point socially anxious person I tried hitching a while back and caught the bug - it really improves your social skills and is ace fun! And teaches you people are mostly nice.

I'm completely addicted to hitching now just can't find the days to do it in at the minute.
Couchsurfing would be more challenging cos hitchking helps u syke yourself up when ur trying to flag down cars and you're not with ppl as long, but then maybe less of the straining to get to know random ppl I dunno.

A challenge is the right way to look at it though I think. Social stuff is all mechanics IMHO, u think of a way to make someone laugh, make eye contact, ask questions about them using the right intonation, after a while it becomes natural and you enjoy it.

Total strangers where you've prepped yourself for it are actually the perfect place to learn, especially as they'll expect you to be nervous.

Also think there's too many paranoid ppl on this thread you need to try and view the world as a positive place in which 96% of people aren't actually looking to rape you and eat your skin.

McDamned said:
Airbnb gone bad
images

http://globalnews.ca said:
It’s become a popular way to earn some extra cash, with people renting out their homes to strangers through sites such as Airbnb, HomeAway and VRBO. But, a Calgary family couldn’t believe what happened to their home in just one weekend.

"Calgary home completely trashed by Airbnb renters"

well, just notice that this is maybe the second time something like this happens in thousands of thousands of transactions

http://mashable.com/2015/04/30/house-destroyed-airbnb-renters/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

and airbnb is paying all the damages, so it's still pretty safe

Peaches said:
^ at least 89%, if we want to include those who want to rob you..

Nah it's only like 10.85% and that's one of the 32% of statistics that aren't made up honest.

Anyway there's a simple answer to that just be a stony broke tramp, that is frequently part of the fun of travelling :)

I have been meaning to comment on this. True, the vast vast majority of transactions are with great people who will not hurt you. True, you could get lucky. But, would I do this. Not unless I had to. Though I actually purchased a townhome with an extra room for just this kind of circumstance... I cannot bring myself to let a stranger into my home unless.. there was a serious need. As for staying with someone else.. again, serious need. And I also find staying with someone else to be the more dangerous situation.

I would point out that years ago people did actually do this all the time. Boarding houses. Just put up a sign outside their homes and let in any old person. See Forrest Gump (that is how is mom made money).

Latest posts

Back