How are your parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azariah

Reaction score
What are/were they like? Are they still alive? how big was your family?

I still live with my parents and they did a very good job for providing for me. They did their best to raise me up but im a stubborn one lol.

I realize that i owe them everything, they clean for me cook for me buy me food clothes, so i realize that im done pursuing a life of pleasure and im just doing everything to help them now.

My parents are still alive and doing fairly well, though some health issues have begun to set in, but nothing that has seriously debilitated them yet, at least. They did pretty well raising me, though I didn't appreciate them at all during those precious teenage years, but we outgrew all of that eventually. They put me through college, bought my first few cars and paid for my housing for a number of years before I had enough money to cast out on my own. I didn't realize how spoiled I actually was. They taught me to live simply and within my means, which has served me well. We have very different views of life and I think in many ways we really don't completely understand each other, but we now talk regularly like friends. I wouldn't have thought that was possible years ago. So, looking back over everything, I was pretty lucky overall.

They're both physically handicapped addicts who are only coming out of their addictions via aging and time now that they're at retirement age and can't walk without the help of walkers or otherwise mobile assistance.

My father's an alcoholic, my mother's an opiate addict.

They provided what they could for me and my sister given that neither of them went to college, but also they lacked the common sense to stop being degenerates for the sake of their children.

Oddly, they did have the common sense to stay together for the children. :unsure: I, guess because when it comes to divorce and money that nothing from nothing is still nothing? 🤷‍♂️

I love them, but I keep them at an arm's distance on purpose.
They're really manipulative. My sister is too as she's also a recovered opiate addict.

My life is the result of a rock and a hard place and parents that wanted a daughter instead of a son so I just got shafted even though I'm older.

So I'm kind of just like:
Yeah, fresia all of you people.😩

My Dad passed he was the most amazing man i’ve ever met… we were so close and him leaving… i would swap if i could…My dad was a total nerd he could do almost any calculation in his head, spell any word… he was my google for a long time. Also…total alpha with everyone but his girls 😅 It was crazy the amount of respect he demanded at work. He thought I was beautiful and would call me “doll” so thats my nickname… he would ask me to never grow up lol but i tried to live my life so fast so he could see it…

My mum… well.. shes a ***** 🙃

Both my parents are gone and I miss them every day.

My dad was my hero. I know that sounds totally cliche, but it’s true. He was an exceptional human being. Life treated him harshly - orphaned as a young child, a severe mental illness, subsequent divorce - yet he always maintained his kind heart and sense of humour. He was a feisty wee Scotsman with a twinkle in his green eyes, but he lived a simple life. No fancy cars or houses full of stuff - he was happy to live a quiet, uncomplicated life. I was always the one close to him - my 2 brothers had a hard time coping with his mental illness, but I was able to understand his motivations and struggles. His motto was ‘Keep Smiling’ and it’s something I aspire to every day.

My mum and I were close too, but we also had our share of personality clashes. She had a hard time ‘letting go’ - especially as I got older and it led to a lot of issues. I eventually had to put my foot down and tell her to back the fresia off and let me make my own decisions in life. She was never a ‘milk and cookies’ kind of mum growing up - she was active in the peace movement, grew pot in the basement (aka ‘tomato plants’ to us kids. , . haha), had a lesbian lover, and had a wicked record collection which I proudly inherited. Let’s just say she marched to the beat of her own drum.

My parents died seperately about 15 years ago. I used to visit them and play cards with them often along with my dad's grandparents. In some ways it seems so long ago and other ways I remember them very vividly like it was just a few months ago. Funny, I always remember them laughing, smiling, and being happy even though they were only like that once in awhile.

My parents are still alive. My mom is okay, we live in the same house. I haven't personally reached out to my stepdad in three years, he occasionally calls my younger sister to update her on his health.

I have 2 sisters. For the most part, it was just my younger sister and I in the house, and then my older sister moved in later on.

My stepdad was an alcoholic. He had been married twice before meeting my mother, with 3 children that he lost all contact with.

When I was younger, my stepdad was the only person who mattered to me most days. I was a tomboy, who absolutely loved trucks, tractors, getting dirty and just hanging out with dad. His world was always a bit more interesting to me. When I was a preteen, I got to make money at the welding shop he ran. I thought that was pretty cool. But the other side of him, was he very abusive. You could bank on how his fits would go, just by what he was drinking any given night. He'd let the bills pile up all winter, to afford his addiction. When he was in charge of the financials, we suffered a lot. And when he did have money, he was very selfish with it.

He stopped calling me 3 years ago, because every time he would go on a complaining spree about his health, I would suggest seeking recovery. And to be honest, I just don't know what to say to him.

For the first 10 years of my life, my mother was a very gentle soul unless she had to fight for one of her friends. I remember her fighting one of her friend's husbands when he raised a fist to the friend. Unfortunately, she never really stuck up for herself in her own relationships. When they picked up and moved thousands of kms away from her family, she started disappearing inside of herself. She would work over the summer to pay off all of the bills formed in the winter. When she was bringing in the money, our needs were met. I did miss her most of my teenage years, even though she was in the other room.

My mother has changed a lot. She's definitely a good grandmother. She speaks to me every day. She's had to deal with some illnesses over the last ten years, but is still holding on. I know she feels lonely and resentful at where life has gotten her, and she's someone who is always complaining. But I'm grateful she isn't checked out anymore.

There's a level of consistency and stability that I have craved all of my life, that I've been able to achieve over the last few years. If I didn't have the life I had, I'm not sure I'd know how to be hungry for it.

My Dad was like two different people, during my youth he was an abusive, violent bully and for the last 20 odd years of his life he was the sweetest, most caring human being. He came from a military family, like his father and grandfather he was a soldier. He spent the majority of his career on secondment to the Ministry of Defence and frequently travelled to Northern Ireland during the ' Troubles '.

When he was home me and my siblings had to keep out of his way, if our paths did cross it often ended with me having the honeysuckle kicked out of me. I'd come home sometimes and he'd have smashed my guitars or dumped all my possessions out on the street. I don't know what he saw or did as a soldier, the British army didn't offer their boys any support or advice on mental health in those days and because he'd signed the official secrets act he couldn't seek it anywhere else. I hated him so much.

After his retirement he got into eastern spirituality, the teachings of Sufism and the poetry of Rumi in particular had a profound effect on him. I think he found some peace and closure he definitely became the most doting grandfather to my daughter. Full of love, compassion and wisdom. I loved this man and miss him every day.

My Mother? we've had a rocky road too, she never bonded with me as a child nor I with here. Family members often tell me " you were such a wonderful baby, you never cried " this is because I worked out pretty quickly in life that nobody was coming to feed me or change me so why bother?.

I've always been the least favourite of her children. Even now she favours my 2 brothers over me and my sisters. We've spoken about it and kind of found closure. She was going through hell with my dad while pregnant with me, he never hit her he only beat his lads, but there was abuse that I'd rather not go into here. I'm the spitting image of my Father which didn't help as I grew older. We are much closer nowadays and I'm proud of the way she held it and us all together while dealing with the madness that was my father before his retirement.

I have the deepest respect for my Dad, simply for being exactly that. However, I cannot bare to be around him for maybe more than 10 minutes, possibly less. A military man who could not think for himself. Bigoted, xenophobic,racist and a hypocrite. Yet, gave me everything he could.

Mum, she's a bit of an ego mentalist. Demands to be the centre of attention. Attracted to things of exclusivity, money or power. Yet, incredibly cheap. Has an iron clad grasp on her own money, and you're not getting a penny. She's the same with time, she'll spend yours, but her own is metered out reluctantly.

I have a perternal father, somewhere locally. His name appears in some of my passports, and not in others. I have not seen him since infancy.

The happiest years of my life did not feature my parents. I became educated to a much higher standard. Moved to the USA. Began my own family. And focused upon me and my own.

My mother passed away in 2012 after a 6 year battle with cancer (15 year counting the previous instance) Traditional, sometimes uptight, but sincere and caring is how I would describe her. My male biological parent - I won't call him my father - is a repulsive individual who is still alive as far as I know.

Last edited:
My dad had autism. He passed from cancer in 2019. He doesn't like girls or women. He only wanted sons. He did teach me to paint.

My mom has narcissism. She cries. She wants everyone to look after her. My parents got their finances right, so she is financially comfortable. She also became alcoholic. Most of the time, she was locked in the bathroom crying. My dad was at work, a workoholic. And the kids had to fend for themselves.

My parents defined parenthood as : 1) a roof over the head, 2) clothes on the back, and 3) food in the mouth.
So, we had that. No hugs, no physical touch, no affirmation, no love, no validation.... just denigration.

There is a reason I am messed up. When you go out in the world with no tools... you screw up.

My parents defined parenthood as : 1) a roof over the head, 2) clothes on the back, and 3) food in the mouth.
So, we had that. No hugs, no physical touch, no affirmation, no love, no validation.... just denigration.
Same. Except at 13 I started working and fending for myself. I just used the house as a place to sleep. I pretty much came and went as I pleased. That's probably why I've always had a problem with authority.

Me and my Dad have a complicated relationship, for the longest time I hated him, living at home was tough, he's a hoarder and we would fight a lot, even in my 20s he would tell me what time I had to go to bed and what time I should have lights and stuff off, but when I didn't live there we got on better, I worry about him a lot because he has many issues with his health both physically and mentally that he refuses to see a doctor about, recently he messed up one of his fingers and luckily he saw sense and went to a doctor before it got really infected his stubborness could have left him losing the finger.

My Mum, well what can i say about my Mum she is probably the most important person to me and I wish I could have been a better son, like I know she loves me and cares about me because she has done so much for me over the years, I just worry I can't ever repay her. Her health is also not good but she always looks on the bright side of things, have never seen her really sad and like man I hope I can be as strong as she is one day and make her proud.

Long story short both parent's still alive, I get on well with my Dad atm and my Mum is amazing.

Same. Except at 13 I started working and fending for myself. I just used the house as a place to sleep. I pretty much came and went as I pleased. That's probably why I've always had a problem with authority.
same
but it caught up to me

my dad was alright, but he passed away in januari.

my mother is just pure cancer. i don't know how else to put it. she's evil, narcissistic, manipulative, cold, distant, mean and awful. my siblings are egoistic and couldn't care less. they're awful too.

given how my mother is its a god **** miracle i never became a serial killer.

Latest posts

Back