How can I make friends my age?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
conventions of indie game developers can be good for making friends, or starting some projects with other people, I don't know where you live or what software you work with but for almost every software/topic there are nice communities, like this for example http://forum.unity3d.com/forum.php

or events like these http://lanyrd.com/topics/game-development/

doing things together creates the best ties, I guess

flaneur said:
In the case of my best friend, we commented and liked a lot of each other's status updates, eventually moving to messages/texts and hanging out.
My problem is it's difficult (if not almost impossible) for me to make that jump. Historically, I have terrible perception when it comes to other people and any signals they may give as to how they feel about me, and my self-confidence doesn't make sticking my neck out very easy. And other people practically never extend their hand to me first. My current best (and only) friend, who I knew for like 5 years online before, eventually did, and that's the only reason we're not still just online friends.

My lack of real activities outside of just going to classes also limits my ability to reach out like that, which brings us back to the point of this topic in the first place.

(sorry if that sounded a bit sarcastic or rude, I don't mean for it to come across like that)

flaneur said:
A biology club seems ideal, because you likely don't have to present any of your own work, just engage in discussions or visit museums (I think). I had anxiety as well, and it was clubs and eventual leader positions in them that got me out of it, although I wasn't willing to go to a therapist in the first place (stupid of me, I know, but my large ego means I'm always trying to treat myself). You're right in wanting to treat your anxiety issues with a psychologist before anything else though. If/when you do feel comfortable, I would try the college club thing, because your therapy will most likely involve getting out of your comfort zone. I think going in there would be a whole lot easier than other kinds of tasks of therapy, such as walking up to strangers.
I've been considering that, although one issue is my college is very small, so there's not a huge variety in clubs (and activities in general) available. There's a newly-started science club that I'm part of, because one of the people I've gotten to know better than most (re-)started it.

Peaches said:
conventions of indie game developers can be good for making friends, or starting some projects with other people, I don't know where you live or what software you work with but for almost every software/topic there are nice communities, like this for example http://forum.unity3d.com/forum.php

or events like these http://lanyrd.com/topics/game-development/

doing things together creates the best ties, I guess
Well, I'm currently working on a project with a dedicated team, so I'm not that interested in pursing new projects. Though I'm approaching it from much more of a writing angle, and don't actually do any coding. In fact, I hate coding. I've tried it. It brings out the absolute worst OCD-like tendencies and feelings in me and never gives me the rush of success when I figure it out. Though I do understand the logic and limitations of programming, which is still a decent boon. It's amazing how many people don't seem to grasp it (though I only can because I've tried it myself, so that's probably why).

You know what? When I was a kid, my mother was teaching my older brother how to ride a bike. She didn't let me try to use the bike because I was too young. Well, I was able to steal it a few times, sure I fell down a few times, but eventually I learned to ride it at the same time as my brother.

How did I learn swimming? I went to swimming lessons in a kiddie pool, with an instructor, lifejackets and all that jazz. Well, I didn't learn it, I learned it myself much later after I started throwing myself in the sea.

So much for needing someone to give you a hand. You will embarrass yourself to strangers? Sure. Is it dangerous? Lethal? ... So you'll get up and keep going.

Latest posts

Back