How did it come to this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybunny

Reaction score
How did it come to this? This hopelessness, this feeling of being on the outside looking in? Yesterday I met up with some acquaintances from high school (friends may be too strong a word) to play football and the whole time I was thinking, why are they happy and not me? They all know each other, hang out together, care for each other, and I just feel alone. I walk around my college campus seeing groups of friends and couples and it hurts badly. I have always been a friendly person, I try to be kind and have a sense of humor about life. Why am I stuck feeling lonely and depressed? I graduate from college next year, what happens then? When do these feelings cease? I can't help the feeling that it is too late, that everyone has made the friends they need and that life is just going to sort of pass me by...

It is too late. Life will pass people like us by, and we're going to be lonely forever. We may just as well have never existed.

Caesium said:
It is too late. Life will pass people like us by, and we're going to be lonely forever. We may just as well have never existed.

Hm. This remark is remarkably unconstructive.

The truth is, flufflybunny, is that you have yet to find your niche. You don't sound malciously anti-social or bitter. Give life time, and you'll eventually be comfortable with it.

Fluffybunny: Have you considered trying to hang out more with these acquaintances? It doesn't sound like an awkward meeting to me; it sounds like a foot in the door to a social network. Just force yourself to do it and focus on accomplishing a new goal, always: Start with being able to comment on things and laugh at jokes. Basic interaction. Then work on actual conversation and body language. Just keep working at it. If I can do it, so can you. :)

Caesium said:

That's kind of a cop-out. An easy way to blame the world for your problems and unwittingly settle in to the murky, deceitful comfort of loneliness and anguish. I know this because I said similar things when I was 16-19; I'm too different to ever have friends, no one will ever like me, I'll always be a loner, etc.

Until I said 'no more'.

My family moved up to Idaho from California, so obviously I came with them being dependent at the time. The cards could not possibly have been stacked more against me:

-I had crippling shyness and self loathing; cried myself to sleep at night, etc.
-I knew -nobody- up here in Nowhere, Idaho.
-The only thing Idahoans hate more than anti-gun people is Californians. I mean, I can't really blame them, California sucks. But the point still stands against me.

It sort of played in to my career plans anyway, but it's something anybody can pretty much do: I joined a volunteer organization of people with the same interest as me. In my case it was a volunteer fire district, which stacked another card against me: Fire people are the -exact opposite- of shy and timid. They weren't mean to me at all, but for the first year I really wasn't part of the group because I simply had no social presence. I hardly talked, even.

It was hard going but over the course of a year -a bitter, painful, frustrating year-, I busted through my shell and realized "Wow, why would I ever think like that? I would have been lonely forever and never achieved my career goals."

They're all a good bit older than me, but I now have a fair network of friends amongst the most unlikely people ever. Did I have to change? Yes. I had to learn to communicate, socialize, make small talk and express myself after many years of isolation, and a lifetime of being ostracized in school before that. I learned to laugh and tell a joke, learned to talk about how I've been. But I did it, and so can anyone else who is motivated to do so. Find your niche. Go to your newspapers, your local craigslist, or better yet try www.meetup.com (ITS FREE! Unless you start a group of your own) for groups of people with similar interests. But find some people to hang out with and dammit, just do it. You'll be shy and quiet at first, but keep at it and you'll **** sure figure it out. Ask questions. Laugh at jokes. Watch how others communicate and interact, and you can ease in to it. Soon you too will have a network of friends, and from there, the possibilities are endless.

I never thought I could possibly be 'one of the guys'. I mean, I don't even drink beer or go to bars.

I'm still making progress. It's a long road. My next obstacle is to be able to actually date women, or go to my grave having at least tried, because I'd feel pretty shitty if my last dying thought was "Gee, I wish I hadn't wallowed in self pity my whole life."

Sorry if I sound critical Caesium, but you can't let yourself get sucked in to that pit. Life hasn't passed us by till we're dead and rotting. It's just a matter of finding the right spot to hop on the train.

Brian said:
Until I said 'no more'.

Thanks for the long reply Brian, I read it all, and you said some wise things. I'll be sure to take heed of your advice :)

fluffybunny said:
I try to be kind and have a sense of humor about life. Why am I stuck feeling lonely and depressed? I graduate from college next year, what happens then? When do these feelings cease? I can't help the feeling that it is too late, that everyone has made the friends they need and that life is just going to sort of pass me by...

It DOES get better i promise! Life for you is just begining, not passing you by, but the thoughts and feelings you are having make it harder to progress to where you want to be.
Having the thoughts and feelings that you have when you are low are normal and Im willing to bet that if you asked anyone on this board or in real life if they have at some time or other if they ever felt the way you do, they would say yes and im also sure they would be pretty much the same kinda feelings too.
Like I've said to others before, try focusing on the positives you have achieved, the quailities that you are good at and build on those. The feelings you have wont just stop over night, but the more you concentrate on what is important to you and your good quailities, the less you will be worried about the negatives.
Just be yourself, dont try to be something that you dont feel comfortable with, and you will I bet people will just want to be around you!
I dont have all the answers( wish i did) Im nearly 40 and honestly my life has gone from stuck in that horrible never ending circular rut, to being able to have a "normal" life ( i say normal lightly as i feel that there realy is no such thing) and i know that there is light at the end of that darker place, but it does take time and ultimatly, it does have to bore down to you to make that change.

Thanks zraskolnikov, gothmother and Brian. I know you all are right, that the key is doing away with negative thoughts and finding my niche. The problem is, it becomes self-perpetuating. My depression leads to sleep loss, which leads me to feel more detached, which leads me to question myself more, which leads me to feel more depressed etc. Try as I may to focus on the positive (and there are a lot of positives in my life, I am confident in who I am if not in my social footing) the negatives - the what could I have done differently to be happier, how can this feeling ever go away questions - persist. Does anyone have advice on how to combat these thoughts that I recognize are harmful and set me back in my quest for happiness?

Only you can know what makes you happy.
As i said, it is a vicious circle that you have to break in order to reach a place you feel better in.
It takes time, but there are so many things that you can do to help yourself and this forum is a good safe place to start as there are many folks who will offer a helping hand of friendship which is a good place to start!
:)

fluffybunny said:
Try as I may to focus on the positive (and there are a lot of positives in my life, I am confident in who I am if not in my social footing) the negatives - the what could I have done differently to be happier, how can this feeling ever go away questions - persist. Does anyone have advice on how to combat these thoughts that I recognize are harmful and set me back in my quest for happiness?

The above statement in bold is, I think, your answer- if you can come to an inner realization and work on clinging to it.

The past cannot be changed, but it can be learned from. I think most all of us have regretted things. I know I do. But the virtue of regrets is that we can avoid repeating them in the future.

So ask not what you could have done. Let's twist that question around for a minute. Turn the 'could have' in to the 'will do': What can I do differently in the future to make these feelings stop? What is missing from my life, and what can I do to fix that?
(NOTE: 'Nothing' is not an acceptable answer to any of the above questions. Don't let your depression tell you that there is 'nothing' you can do!)

Others will hopefully have input as well, but as for my end of things, I think you need to find the answer to that question before I can offer anything further. Once you answer that question, either post here or PM me and we'll go from there :)

As far as finding groups to hang out with or new things to do, though, I definitely recommend www.meetup.com . It's a really cool tool. Basically you join up with these meetup groups for different activities, and they have an individual page with the next meetup time and such. I tried using it myself once to set up a cave exploration group...but, I realized I don't have the knowledge to really be an organizer of something like that. It's full of philosophy groups and the like, though.

*hugs*

hmm ya i checked out the meetup not really a whole lot going on in my area that sounds interesting, i found some hiking group actually they're meeting tomorrow, i signed up and said i'd maybe go. But so far only like 3 people have said yes they are going some other peole said maybe. What if i go and it's only me and some 40yr old guy?

and there's that thought in the back of what if something bad happens, wait a minute, there's like a 90% chance of snow for tomorrow? i don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and get stuck in thesnow, and what if they're all psychos i mean if were going to be walking in the middle of nowhere with people i don't know, maybe if i go i'll take my mom's cell phone just in case.
( i don't have a cell phone of mine own)

Well, that's always something that must be considered. Perhaps you should take a friend or family member if that's an option?

At any rate, if you're uncomfortable and there's not enough people, dont go. Also, if you've never hiked in the snow, I assure you it's miserable regardless of who you're with =P But I would definitely bring a cell phone, and probably you should tell your mother what you're doing beforehand.

You know Brian, you are absolutely right. Last night, I was getting incredibly down on myself because of this higher up position on my college newspaper that I decided, after much contemplation, to turn down. I was convincing myself I would regret the decision forever, and I could feel the void of insuperable self-doubt opening before me.

But then, I took a step back. I took a deep breathe and let it out; I was still standing. I called a friend, then called my brother, both just to chat and hear a friendly voice. I realize, I am still who I am. The things I like about myself are intact, even if there are things I wish I had done differently at some point. This is my life, right now, and no amount of thinking about the past is going to change it. I need to take the broader view and realize, life goes on. If I am friendly and kind, if I stick to my convictions but still have a sense of humor about life, I will be alright. Anything can be borne, right? The key is to embrace the possibilities of now, and realize that even if it takes time, happiness is waiting somewhere for me. Who knows where; life is full of surprises, and sometimes the most unlikely choices lead us to what we desire.

fluffybunny said:
You know Brian, you are absolutely right. Last night, I was getting incredibly down on myself because of this higher up position on my college newspaper that I decided, after much contemplation, to turn down. I was convincing myself I would regret the decision forever, and I could feel the void of insuperable self-doubt opening before me.

But then, I took a step back. I took a deep breathe and let it out; I was still standing. I called a friend, then called my brother, both just to chat and hear a friendly voice. I realize, I am still who I am. The things I like about myself are intact, even if there are things I wish I had done differently at some point. This is my life, right now, and no amount of thinking about the past is going to change it. I need to take the broader view and realize, life goes on. If I am friendly and kind, if I stick to my convictions but still have a sense of humor about life, I will be alright. Anything can be borne, right? The key is to embrace the possibilities of now, and realize that even if it takes time, happiness is waiting somewhere for me. Who knows where; life is full of surprises, and sometimes the most unlikely choices lead us to what we desire.

:)

Perfect.

You have a response to your PM, btw.

Latest posts

Back