How do u get over loneliness/low self esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelyxgirlx

Reaction score
Hey, i would like some advice about getting over extremely low self esteem/loneliness. I'm 31 yrs old and have always had low self esteem which i suppose has lead me to have bouts of loneliness.ive never had a boyfriend so i dont know what its like to be truly loved by a man. I spend every day of the week on my own.i have a few friends whom i hardly ever see an they very rarely get in contact.i like to think im a friendly person(i try to be) but no one seems to like me.i dont know what to do :(

Heey there, first off, welcome to the forums!

Second, how does your week look like? Do you work or study? In the sense that, are there plenty of opportunities for you to meet other people? That would help in finding a fitting solution. :)

The first thing I'd suggest to getting over it, is to stop being negative. The more we sit back and moan about our problems, the longer they drag out, therefore being lonely longer.

Do you have any hobbies? Is there anything you're interested in taking part in etc?

The more positive you are about things, it shows to other people. People are drawn to positive people. It's just the way life works. If you're doing something you enjoy, or you're good at, you're bound to bump into people with same interests.

Rosebolt said:
Heey there, first off, welcome to the forums!

Second, how does your week look like? Do you work or study? In the sense that, are there plenty of opportunities for you to meet other people? That would help in finding a fitting solution. :)

Hi, thank u for replying. I recently lost my job,but even when i was working i felt isolated within the office.i did try with people but didnt get very far,so i gave up

Legato said:
The first thing I'd suggest to getting over it, is to stop being negative. The more we sit back and moan about our problems, the longer they drag out, therefore being lonely longer.

Do you have any hobbies? Is there anything you're interested in taking part in etc?

The more positive you are about things, it shows to other people. People are drawn to positive people. It's just the way life works. If you're doing something you enjoy, or you're good at, you're bound to bump into people with same interests.

Dont really have any hobbies as such. I used to go out socially a lot but now sit in my house alone drinking

Giving up should never cross your mind. Some people can't connect with each other, some can. Everybody will come across groups of people they struggle to get along with, that's just life.

Is there anything you'd like to do? Maybe something you've wanted to do in the past but always put it off?

Legato said:
Giving up should never cross your mind. Some people can't connect with each other, some can. Everybody will come across groups of people they struggle to get along with, that's just life.

Is there anything you'd like to do? Maybe something you've wanted to do in the past but always put it off?

No i cant think of anything

It's something you need to think about. Everybody has something they like, or something they'd wish they'd try.

The more negative you be, there's less chance of helping

So to sum up:

You're in your 30's, never been loved by a man, not many friends, lost your job, very lonely, drinking alone.

Doesn't sound a very happy place to be in. So, what are you going to do about it? What can you do about it? Set yourself a challenge for each day, or every other day. Just a small goal. Something like "Say hello to a stranger". Who cares how they react? You achieved your goal. Bake something you've never baked before. A lasagne? An apple pie? Make something, grow something, create something that you can be proud of. Get a pet, some fish or a cat. Have something to look after and care for. You wont find your answers at the bottom of a bottle, but sometimes we do have to hit rock bottom before we can start to move forwards. Just do SOMETHING, you are not your loneliness.

painter said:
So to sum up:

You're in your 30's, never been loved by a man, not many friends, lost your job, very lonely, drinking alone.

Doesn't sound a very happy place to be in. So, what are you going to do about it? What can you do about it? Set yourself a challenge for each day, or every other day. Just a small goal. Something like "Say hello to a stranger". Who cares how they react? You achieved your goal. Bake something you've never baked before. A lasagne? An apple pie? Make something, grow something, create something that you can be proud of. Get a pet, some fish or a cat. Have something to look after and care for. You wont find your answers at the bottom of a bottle, but sometimes we do have to hit rock bottom before we can start to move forwards. Just do SOMETHING, you are not your loneliness.

Thank u. No,its not a good place to be in at all. I just feel so low and find it so hard 2 do even the simplest things.

lonelyxgirlx said:
painter said:
So to sum up:

Thank u. No,its not a good place to be in at all. I just feel so low and find it so hard 2 do even the simplest things.

you need to find something you enjoy doing (apart from drinking), a passion, something that makes you happy. It doesn't have to involve other people.

Your as good as everybody else. Nobody is better than you. That is what you have got to think.

lonelyxgirlx said:
Hey, i would like some advice about getting over extremely low self esteem/loneliness. I'm 31 yrs old and have always had low self esteem which i suppose has lead me to have bouts of loneliness.ive never had a boyfriend so i dont know what its like to be truly loved by a man. I spend every day of the week on my own.i have a few friends whom i hardly ever see an they very rarely get in contact.i like to think im a friendly person(i try to be) but no one seems to like me.i dont know what to do :(

I don't know to be honest since I'm pretty much in the same boat. Personally, I'm over the whole being friendly thing. I tried that for a long time, but it didn't work. As they say, nice guys finish last.

People like to say that others won't love/like you until you love yourself. This is BS imo, because I know many people who have no self-worth & self-esteem and yet they are adored by other people. Maybe one day, in the distant future, scientists will discover that being likable is the result of some chemical/pheromone, which some people just don't have enough of. ;) ENTER a range of deodorants/perfumes that save the day!

You sound like you feel how I felt for a long time. Right now, I am 38 years old and unemployed. I'm in the middle of a divorce and all my old friends have long since moved on. I used to spend every day sitting inside wishing for a better life and just waiting for something to happen. You know what waiting gets you? Nothing.

I suddenly realised that everything I desire is not just going to fall in my lap - I have to work at it. I try and go out everyday regardless of how I am feeling. I smile at people. I say 'good morning', 'nice weather' and other small talk; some people answer, some just walk by. I try to occupy my time by doing the very things that I find uncomfortable or challenge myself to do something I have never done before. The more you do things, the easier they become and it builds your self-esteem.

I started to work on making more of myself rather than thinking "When I just have a job/relationship/whatever, then I'll be happy". It's still early days, but at least I'm moving forward and if I keep doing that, hopefully it will lead to a brighter future.

I think a lot of the other members have said it. What I'll just stress on is the fact that you can make the change that you want to see in your life... and if it's so difficult to even do the simplest thing, than just pick one thing to change.. just one small thing and keep to it. One at a time.. so you won't feel so overwhelmed. Try it, okay?

Let me share with you something i learned through years of struggle unfortunately the hard way but ive learned it and this is the truth. Sometimes thoughts and feelings lie. The antidote to depression is action. The very way you beat it, is to do the thing you feel least like doing. Look at what cavey said, he got up went out and started doing and if you notice hes feeling better now because of it. Ive did the same thing youve done for litterally years and trust me the longer you sit there the harder it can seem to change it. But notice i said seem, its not reality, its not rational and nothings really changed except your thinking. Youre the same person youve always been. You just have to force yourself sometime to get up and get back out there in the world. It wont feel natural at first and it wont be comfortable alot of the time but theres really no easy way to get around it. Trust me though if you sit there like youre doing the depression and worry will eventually eat you alive.

As far as raising your self esteem, im just wagering a guess here but you have a bunch of negative thoughts right? Like im not good enough, im ugly, im bad at this activity, im boring, etc. Maybe not exactly like those but those are some of the ones I have. Ive had low self esteem for years and just recently started raising my opinion of myself. The key comes in countering all your automatic negative thinking. Everytime you have a negative thought like that, write it down. Learn to recognize those thoughts. Realize theyre NOT TRUE and then write down a counter statement for each one. Like for example, the im ugly one, thats a big one for me because i was hurt in an accident and had issues with the way i look for a long time. Now everytime i go to tell myself im ugly, i counter with im not a male model but i look normal and attractive. The key is to go neutral and rational with your thoughts.

One thing i learned in this program im doing is that your brain will believe anything you tell it, as long as its rational. It cant differentiate between a lie or half truth, and the whole truth.So if youre sitting there telling yourself all this bad stuff, your brain believes it. Theres even a neural pathway in your mind dedicated specifically to that sort of thinking. The good news is you can replace that neural pathway with a positive one. And yes im talking about physically in your brain there is a bundle of nerves dedicated to making you feel bad if you can believe that, it kindve blew my mind when i learned it. Once you begin using the positive neural pathway though the old one will die out from unuse.One thing to note though, this doesnt happen overnight, it takes months and months of constantly reinforcing the positive behaviors to replace the old negative ones but it can be done. Im in the process of doing it now, have been working on it for about 3 months and i feel like a new person for the most part, if i can do it you can too.

Everytime you start to have a negative thought, say outloud STOP im not going to think this way anymore and challenge it.

Its good to get a set of maybe daily affirmations i guess yould call them? Read those daily outloud. The reason its important to read them outloud is because it causes you to use more of your mind to focus on that new thought and it begins to form a new neural pathway with postivie thinking. When you begin to think positively this new neural pathway is strengthened because youre using it rather than the old negative one. It takes months and months to truly reprogram your thinking and your mind but im not kidding i feel so much better. The program im on is for social anxiety but if you want to pm me i can send you info about it. Its really changing my view of myself and the world. I still have bad days but overall i know that my life is changing for the better and i dont have to be stuck in depression and anxiety any longer. You dont either, i promise.

Pm me if you need somebody to talk with, I hope youll be okay.

Oh and one last thing i forgot to throw in that you may find helpful. However you see yourself, others probably see you that way too.

World View and Self Fullfilling Prophecy.

<<HOWEVER YOU SEE YOURSELF IS HOW YOU ARE..>>

If you expect people to not like and reject you they probably will.

If you expect people to like you, then they probably will.

If you expect good things, youre more likely to be open and more outgoing with people and if youre quiet and reserved due to believing they wont like you. They will probably react in this way. You can CHOOSE to change your negative beliefs about the world and see GOOD things instead of Negative.

Latest posts

Back