How do you cope with the lonely days?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eating was always my default response, but I've been trying to break that habit and become healthier, which hasn't been easy.

--Getting out of the house has been a big thing for me over the past year, even if it's just spending more time at the office.
--I try to find things that break my mood up... web-comics, or watching stand-up on netflix.
--Sometimes, I'll grab a book to read. I'm an academic, so there's always something that I ought to be reading... although non-fiction doesn't help nearly as much as fiction.

I dunno, though. Lately, these haven't been cutting the mustard and I've been doing some things more frequently than I know I should.

Chessguy, I also eat alot these days. Somehow I felt i can escape for good everytime I put food inside my mouth. I found peace in food, and I'm craving for more. And no sports too. Recently, being surrounded by a lot of food is the most logical answer to cope with my depression and loneliness. And guess what, I haven't found a way to get rid of this thought. Shame on me..

When I am at my loneliest or most depressed, I dont come here...for what ever sense that makes! I will immerse myself in my bedroom at home and stay in there. I eat out of boredom, but when really depressed I will make no effort to feed myself, just the minimum amount of cooking. I dont have the option to eat out as often, it is close to 30 miles to the nearest "namebrand" fast food restaurant, so just grabbing a bite is more like a roadtrip.
I will often just sit in silence and commiserate with myself on how ******* depressed I am. I dont think that I actually 'cope' because that would mean that I am dealing with it in a healthy way and I most definitely do not do that.

Wishtobemyself said:
Chessguy, I also eat alot these days. Somehow I felt i can escape for good everytime I put food inside my mouth. I found peace in food, and I'm craving for more. And no sports too. Recently, being surrounded by a lot of food is the most logical answer to cope with my depression and loneliness. And guess what, I haven't found a way to get rid of this thought. Shame on me..

I understand the psychology of it. Its an addiction which is the result classical conditioning. For me, I always ate because... well, the food tasted good. The taste provided me with a distraction from my problems. I would think.. 'Oh well... despite X Y and Z, at least I can enjoy this brownie/piece of cake/doughnut.' The behavior was positively reinforced because of the taste of the food and it allowed me to avoid negative thoughts. Despite trying hard to beat this problem, I'll actually find myself eating something quick(chips, candy, etc) without even having thought about it.

And I know I'm not the only one who has this problem with food. It really pisses me off when people start to talk about being overweight like its something that can be easily controlled. This is an addiction, just like drugs and alcohol.

when I feel really lonely and depressed I go to sleep. It usually happens right before i go to bed that i begin to feel all worthless and whatnot lol. SO i just tell myself to go to bed and usually I feel better in the morning. :)

Latest posts

Back