How is it possible?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight is my first login since 2011. I spent a few months here in 2011 and made a few friends. It looks like they're no longer here. I chatted a lot with one girl in particular. We'd private message, but never live chat. She once told me that online relationships are unhealthy. I think she's right, because the other person can disappear forever unexpectedly. Like you, I was looking for someone to connect with. I almost did, but it never really went anywhere. I spent most of my time playing the mindless games that are here. It was fun. I thought I would try that again. I don't feel more lonely being here, but at the same time I'd often feel like my relationships here had little value.

Bob Arctor said:
All the lasting connections I've made have come from being in the live chatroom. Granted, live chat isn't always the best venue for finding deep friendships either, but I'd say it's closer to actual face to face interaction. It's also taken me a while to find those deeper connections. My philosophy about this place and the chat is to just try and have a few laughs and maybe make a friend or two along the way.

There's a lot of crazy and/or flaky people out there, online and in real life. I takes a little time and a decent filter to work through it all. On top of that, there's the struggle to find ones you have some level of personal chemistry with. I probably wouldn't go into any social situation with the expectation of developing deep connections. I'd just put myself out there in the thick of it, be myself, interact, and consider myself lucky if such connections did happen to materialize. That's how it's always worked for me, anyway.

Like Bob said, The chat room is good for getting the feel of who people are. It definitely has a much more conversational tone which I personally prefer over forum posts, private messages and emails. Unfortunately, not everyone from the site partakes in it, but it's still filled with a decent group of regulars. It might be a bit silly and frivolous for your taste, but if you hang around for a while there's certainly a sense of community that develops. As for deep connections, I can't really make any claim. It all depends on your chemistry with the individuals who happen to be there.

Yes although I'm not sure what I was expecting being so inactive.
But like you said OP, at least it's something. =)

Latest posts

Back