How old is too old to live at home??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm honestly curious what you all think. How old is too old to live at home?

I will clarify that this means living with your parents or guardians, and allowing them to support you. Is it ok if your still at college or uni? Is it okay if you are contributing to the household? etc etc.

In some countries it can be quite old. Also things are changing a lot these days with the economy and other factors. I think people are too uptight about this. Maybe it's not ideal but I think there are worse things that could happen. Imagine being on the street or having no family. Especially if you are bringing in some money, I don't think it is so bad. I think people should be more flexible these days. Of course in America or many European countries you may be expected to move out at 18, and should probably at least try this. You may possibly move back later. Ultimately you will probably want your own home but it is taking longer to get to this point overall these days in the world.

I moved out at 19. My brother is almost 25 and still living at home. One of my uncles is in his mid 50s and living at home (he's been out before, but back again), so it's hard to say an exact age.

Depends on the situation. If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with living at home until you're in your mid-twenties if you're attending university or going to college. Aside from stereotypical societal attitudes, it just makes sense. Not everyone can AFFORD to go in debt to live away from home while in school. In Europe it's quite common for families to share flats, even into their 30s sometimes.

Just remember... in this economy, it's just not very feasible for everyone to leave as soon as they graduate high school. And not everyone can survive on 3 jobs while going to school full-time.

As a general rule, I think that once you can financially support yourself (and you're 18+), then it's high time to get your ass out from under mom and dad's roof.

I personally think one should learn to fly, and leave the goddamn nest... But I'm not a family person.

If I had it my way, I would have moved out at 16, but I moved out at 19 and moved 1000+ miles away. That's just how I roll.

I find it more and more understandable to be living at home in this crappy-ass economy. If you're going to college, got laid off, or you are a recent grad.. what else are you supposed to do... be homeless?

I think as long as you're contributing to the household through labor and/or contributing financially, it shows a sign of maturity and responsibility.

It's also reasonable if you have an illness/serious injury, or mental health issue and your parents chose to help you out until you get on your feet. But, sitting around, doing nothing, and letting your parents or guardians support you when you're perfectly capable of working without contributing anything is disgusting.

In my opinion, living with your family is okay (at any age) as long as you continue to make an effort to become independent (get a job/seek employment/seek treatment/go to school). Heck, my brothers in his mid 20's and still lives with my mom. That's okay though, because he is receiving mental treatment and making an effort to get a job.

What I personally have a problem with is with a NEET. Someone who is making no effort to pursue education, training, employment, or treatment. In other words, someone who is mooching off their mom and maybe helping with the chores or running errands. If they are disabled or something, that's okay. But if they are able to work, then I believe they should take the necessary steps to contribute to society.

You're too old to be living with your parents when you feel you are too old to be living with your parents.

Did you know that 1/5 of people aged 30 - 39 in the UK are living with their parents or partner's parents? It's usually a question of money more than anything.

Fact is, it costs a certain amount of money to live independently. Here in the UK you're lucky if you have a job or some other kind of income at the moment because a LOT of people don't, especially young adults. Minimum wage here is not really liveable unless supplemented by state benefits (which you often don't meet the requirements for if you're a young adult anyway), yet the vast majority of jobs only offer minimum wage.

I'm 24 this coming Friday and I still live with my parents. I've never moved out. I can't afford to move out. I'm to old to be living with my parents because I feel that I am--no other reason. I hope to be in a position where I can afford to move out before I'm 25. :)

It doesn't matter. As long as everyone is ok with it and it doesn't bother you then you can stay at home as long as you want. People might judge but whatever, fresia them. It's your life.

No one should ever have a problem with the way you live your life unless it directly affects them. You could be sitting on your ass not contributing to anything and as long as your family is ok with it then you are fine. Not many would find that satisfying, and most families wouldn't go for that though. Trust fund kiddies do it all the time.

When one is able to support his own living, I guess. Most get an early start, others struggle for decades. I'm lucky to have been born in a place where even unemployed saps are given social security, and have managed to procure a decent enough rental apartment as my own habitat as a result.

One is never too old to live at home. Never. Once it is possible financially my home will always be open to our kids. If they feel to leave after they have reached a certain age then that is there right. But I think one's home should always be open to them.

I don't think people get too old to live at home.

If you're beyond 20, then you need to be making some form of financial and household contribution to justify remaining at home.

Having said that though, it's a difficult ask-even for 'normal' folk. In Australia, you need to hold a stable relationship for a tenant to seriously consider letting you rent a property(house/unit/etc). Failing that, you could always find a group of like-minded friends to move out with, but you'll be looked upon less kindly than a couple. Don't even bother going it alone. No one will touch you.

But, as bad as this problem seems to the western culture, it is nothing compared to Japan. Various social factors over there have created an entire generation of basement dwellers in Japan, most of whom don't even contribute to their households. Suitable male partners are few and far between, and females absolutely REFUSE to lower their standards, forcing many to seek out 'gaijin' instead.

I'm 27 and only finally moved out on my own a few months ago. (I was 26 to be fair). I wasn't being lazy by any means. I was working, but not steadily and not enough to support my bills plus rent. In the area of NY I lived in it is not uncommon to live with your parents until your mid 20's because rent is more than some mortages on houses down here. My siblings all still live with my parents (ages 19-25). The 25 year old is looking to try to move out with his g/f, but they want to buy, so they will wait until they can get a good rate on a mortage. My parents have always had an open door policy and if things got rough down here, they made it clear that I could return home to live. I was never charged "rent" but I did do a lot of driving and running around for my family. I also when needed chipped in money for certain things.

I'm Korean American, and most of my peers are also. It is not uncommon for people to live at home until they marry amongst Koreans. No matter how old they are. Me personally, I have lived on and off with my parents several times since I was 18. I usually like it better because I get along great with my mom, but my dad and I are another story and sometimes I need a break from him.

Latest posts

Back