How old is too old to still be living with your parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just save up money like mad while you still live with your parents. Just have a target. My target is about 50-60 K, so hopefully I would be really sweet to move out 3 to 4 years from now, most likely before I reach the age of 24.

Mumma's Boy said:
Is it ok for a 20 year old to still be living with his parents? I really feel pathethic and worthless as most of my friends are already out of their nest in their teens, and it does affect your chances of dating another woman because they see moving out as a good sign of independence, maturity, and that you can stand on your own two feet. Though i am working on moving out before I am 22 years old.

Though am i a loser for being a legal adult and still living with my parents, while ppl who are alot younger than me that have got their own place winners?

I Would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thank you

Dont feel bad at all. I got my own place at 20. But think about it. Most people at 20 are in college paid for by there parents. So dont feel bad. If you were like 25 plus then maybe id START to worry. But at 20 thats no big deal.

well i left my moms place i was 23,,,i mean i don't know if it was too old or not but i guess i needed to feel strong enough to make it on my own,,plus there was the financial thing to,,

Ekstra said:
19, living at home. I would love to move out the second I'm financially secure. Though I admit I'm afraid of being entirely responsible for my self because I dont know anything about personal finance even though *ahem* I'm studying to be an Economist. Even if I moved out I know I have my parents full support, ever since I started my depression streak though I've lost a lot of motivation.

From what i've seen though, people who move out at an early age (especially in here in NYC) become stressed, nasty people and I really do wish I stopped a friend from doing that.....Unless you're rich and you can afford to live a comfortable lifestyle without working your ass off, I don't think you should. Or unless you have problems at home. The question is, are you financially independant?

People will be who they are. I think it's a beautiful thing to not feel obligated to live your life the way your society has you believe you should.

I think a lot of people who are "stressed" for financial reasons simply bite off more than they can chew or make unwise decisions, do immoral things concerning money, and/or are not grateful for what they have. You do not have to be approaching "rich" to live a comfortable lifestyle. This person may need to make sacrifices (the weight of which he/she is responsible for gauging) and be SMART about money management (and you don't need a degree for that) to move out and be on his/her own, but it could yield a greater sense of happiness than you could possibly imagine and comfortability is well in the picture IF you're determined to be comfortable. That comfort zone has more to do with the mind and spirit than some necessity to be upper or even middle class that many societies dictate to us.

I left at 18 and came back at 22.
Left again at 24 and came back at 26.
Left again at 28 and came back at 36.

I'm not leaving anymore unless I win the lotto. I'm tired of moving and the rents in NY have shot through the roof.

Latest posts

Back