How to change your IP address.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SophiaGrace said:
EveWasFramed said:
SophiaGrace said:
Double standards. Awesome.

Minus said:
I was wondering why myself. That must mean that i am an ass also. Oh well.

Nah, not you.

There's no issue of a double standard here. You called another person an ass. That's name-calling. Simple.

Well, I admit I did something against the rules (name calling), but i disagree, I do think there is a double standard going on here.

Ian did call us Hecklers in one post of his. That is name calling.

Double Standards.

ANd that thread was closed. Why start crap in another one? About something that has NOTHING to do with the subject? Keep it on topic or don't post, k?

SophiaGrace said:
Ian did call us Hecklers in one post of his. That is name calling.

Oh that sounds like quite the reason for an attack post.

Skorian said:
There are many options.

There are people on here who already secretly have more then one account.

Well as Thomas suggested that's probably a personal proxy server. I have no clue how much it would cost you to per additional IP address though.

Never really know when someone is sitting and having a conversation with themself in a thread.

Skorian said:
Never really know when someone is sitting and having a conversation with themself in a thread.

Kinda makes it sound like YOU do that :D

Polar said:
Skorian said:
There are many options.

Well as Thomas suggested that's probably a personal proxy server. I have no clue how much it would cost you to per additional IP address though.
Some things are open source. It depends if it requires anything special from some external service. Some things though just require a good computer and software. Of course you probably get more features from expensive software, but anyway.

Skorian said:
Polar said:
Skorian said:
There are many options.

Some things are open source. It depends if it requires anything special from some external service. Some things though just require a good computer and software. Of course you probably get more features from expensive software, but anyway.

This is not about the software. I can turn an old computer of mine into a server as well, install a free open source debian proxy server on it and I have my very own free proxy server. It's about the IP's. Having a server means nothing. You can't create IP's with software, they're just numbers defined by convention. They're being managed at levels far beyond your computer. If you want more IP's you need to talk to your ISP, or talk to a webhost who then talks to his ISP. Either way, it will cost you money. Only public proxy's are free, but as I said in earlier post, they're not safe, and chances are those IP's are already banned.

Polar said:
Proxy servers are very dangerous things because you send all your information (including passwords, creditcard numbers, private messages w/e it is you do on the internet) all right past it, and unless you're connecting to secure sites (marked with https://) , every piece of information that you send over the internet can be seen by the people administrating the proxy.

Those do seem like they would be a great place for the less ethical to collect a lot of information.

Polar said:
Skorian said:
Polar said:
Skorian said:
There are many options.

This is not about the software. I can turn an old computer of mine into a server as well, install a free open source debian proxy server on it and I have my very own free proxy server. It's about the IP's. Having a server means nothing. You can't create IP's with software, they're just numbers defined by convention. They're being managed at levels far beyond your computer. If you want more IP's you need to talk to your ISP, or talk to a webhost who then talks to his ISP. Either way, it will cost you money. Only public proxy's are free, but as I said in earlier post, they're not safe, and chances are those IP's are already banned.

You do have to use software to change things downline from your ISP. Software gives you the ability to route how your connection travels, where it travels, and some other things. It is all about having options that let you communicate with other hardware downline.

Saying you can't create an IP with software is silly since it is all created by software. Your ISP creates an IP with software. It isn't some slot in hardware that has a physical location like your mailbox.

We are not talking about changing your IP through your ISP. It is just a number that allows the internet to sort packets to a location. I would imagine you could have more then one IP address sent to your ISP's IP address at the same time if you really wanted.

Minus said:
Polar said:
Proxy servers are very dangerous things because you send all your information (including passwords, creditcard numbers, private messages w/e it is you do on the internet) all right past it, and unless you're connecting to secure sites (marked with https://) , every piece of information that you send over the internet can be seen by the people administrating the proxy.

Those do seem like they would be a great place for the less ethical to collect a lot of information.

If you have broadband a neighbor can see your internet connection if they really want as it is shared between the nearby area like a network in your house.

Wireless routers are rather unsafe. They are transmitting your data right through the air. If you use a password and someone has the right software and are nearby they can pluck that password literally out of the air when you use it. And even get access to your computer potentially.

If you did want to hide something you would pay for a downline service that would switch your IP, encrypt your connection, and promise to shred records regularly. There are a number that are geared just for torrenting. As far as I know the service is legal. It is when people download copyrighted material that torrenting is a problem. Anyway, don't even want to fully explain.

That isn't what I am talking about here though. Just how to change your IP address before the final destination of your connection. If you tried to change your ISP's IP address though it would just float off into nowhere. Don't know how that would work. It has to have somewhere to go to reach you. Your ISP's IP is indeed more set in stone. Some change peoples IP's regularely though. Or so I hear.

With the right software and equipment people can get access to your cell phone conversations. Just like how baby monitors sometimes pick up cordless phones. It is silly how unsecure people really are today. A person can be sitting nearby recording your phone conversation. Not sure how easy it is to get into a cell phone from afar. Land lines are safer. Someone has to cut into a line to do the same. That can require climbing a pole or digging a hole, which is much more obvious. With cell phones it is right out in the air. I know that there are people that do it. Just like how there are credit card readers that some people keep in their pockets. Go out to eat and give people your card and all they need is to get it near that device. That is one major way people steal peoples identities. Many of them work in the service industry.

I sometimes wonder if people take me as angry, when probably I was sitting yawning and bored while typing. Or only sort of paying attention. Some seem to respond as if they think that I am.

Do you feel bad at all the bugs that die in a light?

Skorian said:
You do have to use software to change things downline from your ISP. Software gives you the ability to route how your connection travels, where it travels, and some other things. It is all about having options that let you communicate with other hardware downline.

It are external routers who decide how your information gets routed. They do that by analysing the outer packets of data who are wrapped around the information that you are sending. These packets are described under once again, by convention highly restricted protocols. (IP = Internet "Protocol") If you're trying to send routing information to a router which doesn't comply to that protocol, it will simply throw that packet away. You get to pick the final destination, you have no say in how it should get there. The routers make that decision based on highly complex routing protocols. (If you're interested in learning more about that google RIP, EIGRP or OSPF, they are the most commonly used routing protocols). You probably found something about IP routing software, well that is what I am talking about. That's the logics routers use to determine "their" routing, you have no control over that whatsoever. The only routing you have actual control over is that of your private network and to some extent the router that connects you to the internet. Besides your private network there is no "downline", everything behind it is owned by your ISP or another instance.

Skorian said:
Saying you can't create an IP with software is silly since it is all created by software. Your ISP creates an IP with software. It isn't some slot in hardware that has a physical location like your mailbox.

An IP is just "numbers". I can write down four triplets of numbers on a piece of paper for all I care and I can call it an IP address. That doesn't make it a recognized (and thus usable) IP address by IANA. No software is going to make you a usable IP address. I thought the usable part was fairly obviously implied here. You can have the shiniest piece of software shitting up those numbers, that doesn't change the fact that it's not a real, licensed IP.

Skorian said:
We are not talking about changing your IP through your ISP. It is just a number that allows the internet to sort packets to a location.

I just don't think you get how the internet is structured or how routing works. Your ISP "owns" these numbers. If you'd try and take an IP address owned by your providing company and try to use it on a device who is wired to the lines laid down by mine it would never, ever work because that IP address wouldn't even be in the DHCP pool or routing tables of my provider. You can't change your home public IP address without going through your ISP, it's impossible.

Skorian said:
If you have broadband a neighbor can see your internet connection if they really want as it is shared between the nearby area like a network in your house.

Wireless routers are rather unsafe. They are transmitting your data right through the air.

This is partially right, but sort of besides the point of what Minus was saying.

Skorian said:
That isn't what I am talking about here though. Just how to change your IP address before the final destination of your connection. If you tried to change your ISP's IP address though it would just float off into nowhere. Don't know how that would work. It has to have somewhere to go to reach you. Your ISP's IP is indeed more set in stone. Some change peoples IP's regularely though. Or so I hear.

You don't get to set your ISP's IP anywhere (they don't really have a single IP representing them either). You're probably thinking about Default Gateway, that's the IP of the router connecting you to the internet. Using IP wildmasks, information sent to the internet will find its way to your ISP somehow, there's no need to fill in such an ISP-IP address anywhere. I actually never talked about changing your ISP's IP. Just your own assigned IP which is property of the ISP. I know that's sort of confusing.

Also changing IP address before the final destination is once again what proxy does. It takes the IP package which says IP sender : Skorian, throws it in the bin and wraps a new IP package around it which says IP sender : Randomserverguylol . That's proxy software for the server people and that's a proxy service to you. That doesn't change the fact that randomserverguylol is an IP which has to be bought from someone and can't be magically made through software. You as individual have no way of changing your IP address information without consulting a 3rd party. A single piece of software will never be enough.

Skorian said:
If you did want to hide something you would pay for a downline service that would switch your IP, encrypt your connection, and promise to shred records regularly. There are a number that are geared just for torrenting. As far as I know the service is legal. It is when people download copyrighted material that torrenting is a problem. Anyway, don't even want to fully explain.

proxy, proxy, proxy

But anyway this is starting to aggravate me, so I'm gonna leave it at that. I'm sure you're right, I'm wrong. Still if you have a link confirming on how you can pull it off without involving ISP's one way or another, I would love to see it. Sleep well.

Well there is a ton of miss understanding here I can see. Meaning communication is miss interpreted.

from the learning 2 get along series

387715_lg.jpg

But we don't have any rules here chasm :O

All you really need for a reliable proxy is to just get a host for your own server and use their IPs. Or simply call up the ISP and ask for a new one. You can even ask for extras sometimes so you can set up your own stuff. It's usually free or very cheap. That's all doods.

kamya maybe the rules just need 2b a lil more organized like u said @ 1st :)
xample?
we must have @ least SUM rules if ppl want 2 use proxies 2 get around bans LoL
SUMthing must b being enforced if bans are happening :)

There are some special networks like Tor and stoof that can provide a decent level of protection/ proxies for the noobs that don't know much yet. They aren't completely safe but they do the job for the most part.

isn't ezer 2 just respect than 2 try 2 clean up a mess uve cre8d after the fact?
if u do sumthing that gets u banned
being banned is a gr8 opportunity 2 think on ur wrongs
"yd i do that??? it was dumbbbbbbbbb 4 me 2 do that > better not do it again"
instead of?
"**** *click click click* need a proxy *click click* **** this one's down *click* so i can get back *o god this ones down 2* in *click*"
simple
just respect
n if u get banned?
take the time 2 reflect on wut u couldve dun better n can do better next time

Polar said:
Skorian said:

It are external routers who decide how your information gets routed.

Wrong. This is true only if you don't have software that lets you choose those routers. Very useful if your using a site online and one of the major hubs in between goes down so you can't reach that site. You can go the other way around the plant if you really want. I have used it before so I should know. You can even get information on the status of routers and hubs. I believe this is one thing that Proxy servers can do though it has been a while since I have used it so may have forgotten the name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

They do that by analysing the outer packets of data who are wrapped around the information that you are sending. These packets are described under once again, by convention highly restricted protocols. (IP = Internet "Protocol") If you're trying to send routing information to a router which doesn't comply to that protocol, it will simply throw that packet away. You get to pick the final destination, you have no say in how it should get there. The routers make that decision based on highly complex routing protocols. (If you're interested in learning more about that google RIP, EIGRP or OSPF, they are the most commonly used routing protocols). You probably found something about IP routing software, well that is what I am talking about. That's the logics routers use to determine "their" routing, you have no control over that whatsoever. The only routing you have actual control over is that of your private network and to some extent the router that connects you to the internet. Besides your private network there is no "downline", everything behind it is owned by your ISP or another instance.

Skorian said:

An IP is just "numbers". I can write down four triplets of numbers on a piece of paper for all I care and I can call it an IP address. That doesn't make it a recognized (and thus usable) IP address by IANA. No software is going to make you a usable IP address. I thought the usable part was fairly obviously implied here. You can have the shiniest piece of software shitting up those numbers, that doesn't change the fact that it's not a real, licensed IP.

This doesn't even make sense. Why use software that only runs on your computer. Do you really think there isn't software that truely communicates with the web? It is not all automated like you think. I have used this software you claim doesn't exist. It is complex, but sold by major software companies.

Skorian said:
We are not talking about changing your IP through your ISP. It is just a number that allows the internet to sort packets to a location.

I just don't think you get how the internet is structured or how routing works. Your ISP "owns" these numbers. If you'd try and take an IP address owned by your providing company and try to use it on a device who is wired to the lines laid down by mine it would never, ever work because that IP address wouldn't even be in the DHCP pool or routing tables of my provider. You can't change your home public IP address without going through your ISP, it's impossible.

I am not sure how to explain it, but an IP is sort of like a mailbox. You can jump from mailbox to mailbox. Just as long as it ends with your ISP's. Your ISP only owns their IP addresses. IP's are an address like a street name. Because of this an IP can be used to find where people live. Well the general area. The reason I said it is a good way to prevent stalking.

I half hate computers. I can get things to work, but many times don't fully understand it. And as soon as I do get it, it changes.

Skorian said:

Wireless routers are rather unsafe. They are transmitting your data right through the air.

This is partially right, but sort of besides the point of what Minus was saying.

I was just commenting on how there are tons of unsafe things. People still use cell phones.

Skorian said:

You don't get to set your ISP's IP anywhere (they don't really have a single IP representing them either).

I know.

You're probably thinking about Default Gateway, that's the IP of the router connecting you to the internet. Using IP wildmasks, information sent to the internet will find its way to your ISP somehow, there's no need to fill in such an ISP-IP address anywhere. I actually never talked about changing your ISP's IP. Just your own assigned IP which is property of the ISP. I know that's sort of confusing.

Also changing IP address before the final destination is once again what proxy does. It takes the IP package which says IP sender : Skorian, throws it in the bin and wraps a new IP package around it which says IP sender : Randomserverguylol . That's proxy software for the server people and that's a proxy service to you. That doesn't change the fact that randomserverguylol is an IP which has to be bought from someone and can't be magically made through software. You as individual have no way of changing your IP address information without consulting a 3rd party. A single piece of software will never be enough.

Skorian said:

proxy, proxy, proxy

But anyway this is starting to aggravate me, so I'm gonna leave it at that. I'm sure you're right, I'm wrong. Still if you have a link confirming on how you can pull it off without involving ISP's one way or another, I would love to see it. Sleep well.

No honest person would have any reason to go changing their IP. Those who do probably have something to hide like, to spam/hack systems, having duplicate accounts to give themselves a bigger voice and don't want anyone to find out they are two in one in the same. I had this on a site of mine, it was done by a moderator who didn't realize I could see and track his IP on the site.

A thread like this should not exist as mainly bad could come of it.

Now I'm starting to think you're just jacking my swag. You're not just contradicting me, you're starting to contradict yourself.

Skorian said:
Skorian said:
I am not sure how to explain it, but an IP is sort of like a mailbox. You can jump from mailbox to mailbox. Just as long as it ends with your ISP's. Your ISP only owns their IP addresses. IP's are an address like a street name

Skorian said:
If you tried to change your ISP's IP address though it would just float off into nowhere.
Polar said:
You don't get to set your ISP's IP anywhere.
Skorian said:

This thread eludes me. It's got a self-confessed half computer hater who states that a lot of the time he doesn't fully understand how things work, explaining the internet to someone who has an IT degree and has run through Cisco's CCNA/CCNP courses. Your views on IP addresses are completely off the ball, I'm sorry. But you're right about other things, I'll give you that. The thing is that we are talking about different things here.

I'm aware there are p2p networks such as Tor who involve using client systems as pseudo-routers to obfuscate the tracks. But that's once again IP packet modification so it's proxy based. In such networks you might indeed actually have some say in how your data gets routed. But that's a virtualized peer to peer layer on top of the internet, I was strictly talking about the routing devices who form the internet itself.
These things can work, they WILL probably work. So if you want to make a post about how to use such a network to obfuscate your IP address, by all means go ahead. I'm very interested in learning something new about these kinds of things.
But don't call it IP changing because that is not what's happening in the background. Your software doesn't create or modify any IP whatsoever, it simply asks other peers in the network to let you borrow theirs. As for the encryption, that's to make sure those peers don't go reading your information. But remember that the data still has to be decrypted at the last hop right before the final destination. So that means one hop still can potentially read what you are saying even if it doesn't know who's saying it.
In theory you still can get backtracked when downloading torrents that way. "In theory"... but it would be near impossible as they would have to talk to a lot of instances to get the necessary information to track you down. The fact that you send your information over the net encrypted doesn't make it easier for them to find out what it is you're doing either. The last hop in the chain however is the weak link. He could get into trouble for the things that you're doing in name of his IP and if you take part in such networks, occasionally you're the last hop yourself. These things are never 100% bulletproof.

Sci-Fi said:
No honest person would have any reason to go changing their IP. Those who do probably have something to hide like, to spam/hack systems, having duplicate accounts to give themselves a bigger voice and don't want anyone to find out they are two in one in the same. I had this on a site of mine, it was done by a moderator who didn't realize I could see and track his IP on the site.

A thread like this should not exist as mainly bad could come of it.

And I agree with this. The only reasons you could want to do that are bad reasons. It's certainly not in the best interest of ALL to be telling people how to do these sorts of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back