How to Dress for Success (and not be judged?)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stranger

Reaction score
Hey, here is an interesting story from my experience... when I was studying in university (undergrad), I had very little ca$h and no sense of style whatsoever, which often resulted in poor dress choices like worn-out jeans and hoodies (I'm a girl), or even worse (believe it or not!), combined with very bad haircuts and no makeup. Unsurprisingly, not a single guy paid attention to me. I did make some friends among classmates and study-mates, and with no coolness factor to worry about, excelled at academics.

After graduation and before grad school, I worked in an office for a year, accumulating 7 changes of semi-formal dress. When I returned to university, those were the clothes I had, so I wore them... this time instead of blending into the walls, I found myself at the centre of attention. But classmates expected A LOT from me! They automatically assumed that I was smart, organized and RICH. They wanted me to pay more than my fair share when we went out for lunch, and didn't believe for a second when I complained of any difficulties with the grad program. Tired of this, I went to the mall and bought a few pieces of "student" attire like hot t-shirts, neat polo shirts and jeans - everything good-quality and colour-matched. Since working in the real world, I also look after my hair and put on make-up every day. The problem is, almost all my classmates are male, and their attitude has changed 100% since I started dressing differently! Now they talk behind my back, make inappropriate jokes, stare at my rack, and don't want to talk about anything intellectual around me. My new clothes are NOT even revealing!

The question is, do you feel like you get judged based on your clothes and appearance? How do you strike a balance between casual and professional? Does a girl have to be totally unattractive to be taken seriously by men in an academic/professional environment? Or does image not matter at all?

P.S. I'm not asking for sympathy here - this is just for fun! A new discovery... I never realized looks mattered that much, esp. since we are constantly bombarded with "feel good" affirmations that they don't :)

just the way it works,
the first thing you notise when you see someone is the way they look.
so yeh you get "judged" on that.

i used to dres in all black, lang hair and piercings wherever you could poke a hole in.
so i got looked at as some angry antysocial scary dangerous dude.
exactly what i was going for at the time though :p

now im a little more coulerfull cut my hair and lost most of the rings.
seems to make me a look nice polite and a little shy.
i still act the same i did before though, still me.
i atract a different kind of people now to.

dress like a sexy girl people will treat you like one.
guys will hunt you down like one, kinda like dogs and squirrels :p
and girls will ***** about you behind your back.
take away the sexyness and people might look a bit furter than that.
take it to far and no one will look at you anymore though :p

not completely true ofc and things change when you get past the first look point but still.
change your wardrope to what you wanne accomplish.
dress for succes and all that bull.

i like girls in jeans and hoodies btw :)

Yes people judge others based on appearances. I've learned that whether or not I personally give a **** about what I'm wearing, it matters.

I don't doubt at all that people are judged by their appearance. I am just a bit surprised that you found so much variance between two rather mainstream looks. It isn't like you went from dressing like a southern belle to something like chains and a six inch purple mohawk.

Stranger said:
The question is, do you feel like you get judged based on your clothes and appearance?

I am sure that i am. When i was younger i had many examples of ladies seeing me on the street, where they would start holding their purse a little tighter and start walking a little faster while frequently glancing back to see if they had gotten away from me yet. I also suspect, but couldn't prove, that if i had looked differently than i did, that i wouldn't have been stopped on the street and questioned by the police near as regularly as i was. There were certain stores that i knew that i shouldn't even try to buy anything at. I could be standing at the counter trying to pay for something and they would ignore me, though if someone walked up to the counter while i was waiting for them to ring me up, they would take care of them right away, still ignoring me. It was just a couple of the aspects of being a freak in a really conservative area.

These days, by appearance, i could probably pass as a skid row wino. While i don't notice people treating me differently because of it, i have nothing to compare it to so it is quite possible.

I don’t like it when girls dress too over the top or wear tons and tons of thick makeup until their entire fact is a powdery painting. It's nice to see a real face so i prefer minimal or natural makeup on girls, or makeup for effect (if your a Goth). A girl in jeans and a hoody sounds cool, not overtly sexual so the person can come through. People should be attracted to you because of the person you are, dressing like a hooker with makeup like a tranny wont attract the decent guys.

paulo said:
i used to dres in all black, lang hair and piercings wherever you could poke a hole in.
OMG I can't even imagine! You must have been one cool scary bad guy :D

paulo said:

hahahahaha oh the comparison to dogs and squirrels makes it looks like so much less fun!

paulo said:
OMG I can't even imagine! You must have been one cool scary bad guy :D

paulo said:

hahahahaha the comparison to dogs and squirrels makes it looks like the kind of game one shouldn't play...

alonewanderer said:
...pics? :3

Sorry wanderer, I'm super-paranoid that someone I know will find me here! I already posted enough personal stuff to make a potential discovery mega-embarassing :(

Minus said:
I don't doubt at all that people are judged by their appearance. I am just a bit surprised that you found so much variance between two rather mainstream looks. It isn't like you went from dressing like a southern belle to something like chains and a six inch purple mohawk.
LOL I just looked up some Google images for "southern belle" and WOW do people really still dress like that!? :D And yes, I was also surprised at the reaction which is why I wanted to share the story! I think male grad students are seriously understimulated... you take someone who can be entertained by reading a textbook for their FAVOURITE subject, and for them to see a girl in a t-shirt from less than 2m distance...

Minus said:
I am sure that i am. When i was younger i had many examples of ladies seeing me on the street, where they would start holding their purse a little tighter and start walking a little faster while frequently glancing back to see if they had gotten away from me yet. I also suspect, but couldn't prove, that if i had looked differently than i did, that i wouldn't have been stopped on the street and questioned by the police near as regularly as i was. There were certain stores that i knew that i shouldn't even try to buy anything at. I could be standing at the counter trying to pay for something and they would ignore me, though if someone walked up to the counter while i was waiting for them to ring me up, they would take care of them right away, still ignoring me. It was just a couple of the aspects of being a freak in a really conservative area.

Awww can't believe store clerks treated you so poorly just because of your outfit! So unfair! You should totally become famous, happy and successful and show them all who's the real boss!! Although making ladies clutch their purses tighter is hilarious :)

I am not surprised. A similar thing happened to me at my college reunion. Except I dressed like I did back in college. ^_^ all the people I hung out with knew I made more money than them. However, since I looked like a college kid they did not really believe it. I do not care though.

To answer your question, no. You have to look intellectual. Who says that a semi-professional or intellectual. You dress like a generic fun female you will be treated as such.

I'm a T-shirt and jeans guy. I've never owned a suit in my entire life.
My woman likes the way I dress. I'm her rock N rolling guitar strumming badboy
I'm not allow to part my hair to the side...she wants me to wear it weavy like a beach bum.lmao
She thinks I'm sexy and it turns her on. I turn her on even more when I'm naked :p
Well....I had sex with her 3 times today and she had crazy orgaism all day.
So I went to her work today to hang out a little bit...Dudes were hitting her.
She sent me home with the tip money guys were giving her.hahahhaaaaaaa
Thats ******* successful to me. She's my sugar mama.lmao
I'm her sex toy...i don't give a fresia.

I put grease in my hair like a fucken greaser and part it to the side..trying to look professional.lmao
I have to fresia up my hair before I get home from work everyday.
I'm making double the money i made last year and I do less work...now, that's fuckin smart.lol

Once upon a time I was a manager. Holy honeysuckle man. I actually wore pleeted pants and a neck tie to work...errrrr

Once upon a time I wore a military uniform...Mr. clean cut with fucken startch uniform. Talk about being a fucken
stiff.lol

I bought a bad ass shirt from a thrift store yesterday for $5. It's a black long sleeve cowboy looking kind of shirt with parls
looking buttons. I look totally kickass with my black jeans, designer belt and my black boots...
My woman loves it. I basically look like a lead guitar player...oh honeysuckle, I am a lead guitar player.lol

Once upon a time I had long hair half way down my back and a honeysuckle load of hair spray, wore black eye liners
to look evil as fresia.lol

I totally AGREE 100%. The unfortunate truth is that we live in a very visual world, and in my experience, having worked/studied both in a western country and in an asian one, the results are the same. If you look preppy and geeky - guys and girls treat you like you're smart even if you know about as much as the cat does about calculus. I remember this one time in college, when I curled my hair and it was quite wild looking. Suddenly I started getting attention from men all around, and 6 months later when I cut it off for a chic short do, it was back to normal.

So these days, eventhough I hate conforming to ridiculous social norms, I go with the flow. I wear what I want when I don't need to make an impression, but if I am making a presentation or meeting possible clients, then I dress to create a specific impression. Be it smart or down to earth or etc. There was even a subject on it during my psych class back in the day. If we're meeting with low income clients, we dress to appear average, but if we've got high profile clients, then we dress to appear slightly more upper class. =)

Lonesome Crow, your posts are most entertainint to read! If half of what you say is true, then wow, you must have character. I think you should write a book like "Fight Club" - it would totally rock.

Veruca, that's exactly what I was thinking! So glad to have discovered this now - will definitely pay more attention to image to get desired results for years ahead :D. Can't believe you got such a huge difference in attention just from different hair styles - maybe looks matter more to people than they care to admit :p.

Latest posts

Back