How to interact with others

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lonelygirl said:
To me, shyness is almost selfish--like you've got this beautiful pearl inside you but you won't open up and let it glimmer in the light!

Beauty is subjective. You cannot expect everyone to find what you say interesting, so you should look for people who share your life interests. In spanish there is a saying that goes "Cada roto tiene su descosido", which means that there will always be someone who shares the same interests. The problem then comes on how to meet this people. The answer is simple: courage and selfconfidence! Social relations can build up your confidence, but ideally you should work yourself first. Try working out and setting yourself goals around it. Physical excerise trigger the release of stimulating hormones that can make you feel happy. Happy as you are, social boundaries should represent less of a deal.

Leon said:
lonelygirl said:
To me, shyness is almost selfish--like you've got this beautiful pearl inside you but you won't open up and let it glimmer in the light!

Beauty is subjective. You cannot expect everyone to find what you say interesting, so you should look for people who share your life interests. In spanish there is a saying that goes "Cada roto tiene su descosido", which means that there will always be someone who shares the same interests. The problem then comes on how to meet this people. The answer is simple: courage and selfconfidence! Social relations can build up your confidence, but ideally you should work yourself first. Try working out and setting yourself goals around it. Physical excerise trigger the release of stimulating hormones that can make you feel happy. Happy as you are, social boundaries should represent less of a deal.

LonelyGirl makes a lot of sense. I joined a Unitarian Universalist congregation to be around people I have more in common with.

If you know that you are shy then at least your problem and your focus is clear.

I'd say a great deal of the problem comes down to uncommon ground versus common ground. Find common ground. Make finding common gruond less difficult by expanding your horizons. The more subjects you know in depth, the better equipped you'll be for discussion with a stranger who has the potential to become a friend, or even a friend with the potential to become a better friend.

Latest posts

Back