How to keep your sanity in times of lonliness ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have wild mood swings that hinder chatting up random people but believe it or not, I am actually quite good at it.

Now given all my issues I have aired here. Well that usually prevents me from doing it as much as I like

Rodent said:
Restless soul said:
Rodent said:
...what sanity?

Seriously now, if you are alone and frustrated and you don't want to distract yourself with a hobby or any other solitary activity, all you can do is go outside among people. Or remain alone and frustrated.

Yes, rodent. I am doing that. And that is compounding that feeling.

Well, it clearly compounds the feeling because you fail to connect with other people while you are among them. But at least there is a slight chance. When people tell you to go outside, you can do anything from walking right into the next bar to joining a local club, meet-up or interest group. The latter seems more promising since it has more structure. You don't seem like the type that chats up random people, but what do I know.

Now if this is also not something you want to do because it makes you feel bad, I'm afraid you have erased all possibility for improvement.
As of late I have been sitting in a very crowded starbucks quite often, but even that can get to a unhalthy point when you spendd an inordinate amount of time spacing out into your phone. Not meeting people. It gets quite dull real fast.

Restless soul said:
Rodent said:
Well, it clearly compounds the feeling because you fail to connect with other people while you are among them. But at least there is a slight chance. When people tell you to go outside, you can do anything from walking right into the next bar to joining a local club, meet-up or interest group. The latter seems more promising since it has more structure. You don't seem like the type that chats up random people, but what do I know.

Now if this is also not something you want to do because it makes you feel bad, I'm afraid you have erased all possibility for improvement.
Actually I am more the type now than ever to chat up random people. When I get that urge. Why do you think I am not?
Especially with all my threads ad comments?  I can totally do it

Your threads and comments (on the internet) have very little to do with it. I was talking about what SofiasMami also referenced. Chatting up random real life people in your environment.

Rodent said:
Restless soul said:
Rodent said:

Actually I am more the type now than ever to chat up random people. When I get that urge. Why do you think I am not?
Especially with all my threads ad comments?  I can totally do it

Your threads and comments (on the internet) have very little to do with it. I was talking about what SofiasMami also referenced. Chatting up random real life people in your environment.

It has a lot to do with it. Especially when you can apply and make use of your communication skill givin the opportunity the same way offline as you do online. And this is a number one reason why I stopped using a desktop. Most of my posts are entered using my mobile device

Thanks actually one of the habits i broke. Sitting idle at a desktop.
Some would say I went from one unhalthy habit to another.
The other being the cell phone. But what I say, at least with that I can be out and about. Not much different than anyone else

Restless soul said:
Rodent said:

It has a lot to do with it. Especially when you can apply and make use of your communication skill givin the opportunity the same way offline as you do online. And this is a number one reason why I stopped using a desktop. Most of my posts are entered using my mobile device

Your multiple quotation-filled posts make the conversation hard to follow, but I think I get it now.

If taking your mobile device outside with you (which is unlikely with a desktop) is helping you transfer language skills into the offline world, so be it. If you are good at chatting up random strangers despite mood swings in a crowded environment like that Starbucks, even better.

I didnt say it's helping me transfer langauge skills.
It's being able to take my addiction with me and gets me
The heck out of the house. It's a plus

Restless soul said:
I didnt say it's helping me transfer langauge skills.
It's being able to take my addiction with me and gets me
The heck out of the house. It's a plus

Fair enough, then I misinterpreted the "you can apply and make use of your communication skill givin the opportunity the same way offline as you do online" part.

Oh, ok I was rushing when I typed. No worries.
I meant my communication skills online I can easly display in the same way if not better. Given the chance 😁😄

Don't you think you'd be given a better chance if you weren't worried about your online presence, when out and about?

AmytheTemperamental said:
Don't you think you'd be given a better chance if you weren't worried about your online presence, when out and about?

I am not worried amy, I will admit online is an addiction. And it can keep me occupied when I am out. Whether its readiing news, haven't been the most productive.  But i do like to be active here and its been very helpful at the same time

But online presence on a phone vs at home couped up and isolated are two different things.

Restless soul said:
But online presence on a phone vs at home couped up and isolated are two different things.

Not really, no. Keeping your head down while staring at a lit screen, while ignoring the real life people around you, is a surefire recipe for loneliness.

AmytheTemperamental said:
Music, work, and finding something enjoyable in the things that seem unenjoyable on the surface. I wish I could tell you the magical formula, but it just clicked in my head one day "just do, don't think".

nibbysaurus said:
Read books. Write books. Get lost in someone else's reality for a while

Amen! I'm trying hard to get into reading books, but I can't read! 😂

I'm also trying to read more books to cope with loneliness as well. I used to draw a lot but I have been going through artist block for awhile. I've honestly been suffering in silence.

Gemmy said:
I'm also trying to read more books to cope with loneliness as well. I used to draw a lot but I have been going through artist block for awhile. I've honestly been suffering in silence.

Draw a space astronaut cat eating a pink sprinkled doughnut!

My advice is to keep yourself immersed in something you enjoy doing:) And i'd suggest that activity to be one in which you aren't alone:) Do some social work around your community if possible:) Join some positive chat with positive thinking neighbours if you got some, volunteer in some activity to help others etc... But best of it all, learn to remove that frown from your face:) A good smile on your face radiates joy around you and sends back happy feelings to your soul:)

SofiasMami said:
Restless soul said:

Not really, no. Keeping your head down while staring at a lit screen, while ignoring the real life people around you, is a surefire recipe for loneliness.
I don't zone out to the point where I am unaware of my surroundings. Defiantly not. I come up for air every so often. 
Besides. Being the A.d.d Restless kind of nature that I am. My phone addiction can't cure that to the point where I don't look away from it after 2 mins

[bold]As much as am online Forum like this helps, it shouldn't be turned into the sole and ultimate solution. Because it can never replace real physical contact with real people[\bold]

Latest posts

Back