How understanding would you be?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hearmenow2012

Reaction score
I recently read a story about a women that was dating a man that liked to cross dress and dress like her (He looked a lot like her). She tried to be understanding and continue with the relationship but she felt like she didn't have what it took to keep it going.

My question is that if you were in a similar situation would you be able to understand, accept them for who they are and continue with the relationship?

Good question, I'd try to understand but I guess it would really come down to how much I cared about them. Some guys like it when their girl wears their clothes, but if she wanted to always go out dressed like me or act more like a guy I'd have to end things. That's just not something I'd be looking for. If I wanted to date a guy I would, but I don't. I wouldn't cut them out of my life though, just not be able to continue on with the relationship.

I would have a hard time with it.

I am primarily attracted to girls who act super feminine. Wear dresses, makeup, high heels, stockings, lipstick, etc. I would have a difficult time dating a woman if she didn't do those things, although I would try to understand and accept it.

I think this is one of the few times where it may be a bit of a valid double-standard, tbh. I mean, with typical men's clothes being more casual and acceptable for both genders to wear (shorts, shirts, loose pants/trousers, trainers etc... even smarter like suits) no one really gives a honeysuckle or looks twice if a woman wears these things. But put a dude in a skirt or heels or a blouse or whatever and it'll cause a lot more negative thoughts.

Personally I like a girl that doesn't fit the typical girly-girl bill and will wear whatever she wants, especially if it's for practical reasons - shows an understanding of logic ("I don't care - they're comfy!") and a somewhat unwashed brain (does that make sense? Not brainwashed). I think yeah if we're going out for a meal somewhere nice then let's both dress up and look sharp but if we're bumming around the house or walking in the hills then wear whatever you want, just don't be a noob and wear idiot shoes if we're doing the latter :p

In response to the OP, I think it depends whether he wanted to do this in public or if it was an in-the-bedroom thing. I wouldn't care if my girlfriend always dressed like a guy but I probably would have a difficult time with it if I were female and my boyfriend did it. As much as I'm all for equality, that's just how I feel about it, that it would be harder to accept.

painter said:
I think this is one of the few times where it may be a bit of a valid double-standard, tbh. I mean, with typical men's clothes being more casual and acceptable for both genders to wear (shorts, shirts, loose pants/trousers, trainers etc... even smarter like suits) no one really gives a honeysuckle or looks twice if a woman wears these things. But put a dude in a skirt or heels or a blouse or whatever and it'll cause a lot more negative thoughts.

Personally I like a girl that doesn't fit the typical girly-girl bill and will wear whatever she wants, especially if it's for practical reasons - shows an understanding of logic ("I don't care - they're comfy!") and a somewhat unwashed brain (does that make sense? Not brainwashed). I think yeah if we're going out for a meal somewhere nice then let's both dress up and look sharp but if we're bumming around the house or walking in the hills then wear whatever you want, just don't be a noob and wear idiot shoes if we're doing the latter :p

In response to the OP, I think it depends whether he wanted to do this in public or if it was an in-the-bedroom thing. I wouldn't care if my girlfriend always dressed like a guy but I probably would have a difficult time with it if I were female and my boyfriend did it. As much as I'm all for equality, that's just how I feel about it, that it would be harder to accept.

I understand what you are saying completely. The guy did it in public and he kissed her whilst wearing women's clothes and she said that she pulled away as she wasn't sure that she could go on. They did eventually split up, but they both found their own respective partner and neither side was bitter so that's the main thing.

Thank you everyone for your posts so far :)

I'm not talking about girls that wear t shirts and jeans and sneakers. That is actually sexy to me, or can be (if it is the right kind of girl?)

What I'm talking about is someone who, by all standards, looks like a man. I would have a difficult time being sexually attracted to them, simply because...I am not sexually attracted to other guys, at least normally. I've actually found myself attracted to dudes that look like girls (full on makeup, usually emo types), and then I realize, hey, they're dudes. Just as a really feminine guy can turn me on, a really masculine woman can turn me off.

I feel terrible for saying this, because this is a very shallow kind of question. A better question would be, could I be with someone who didn't intellectually satisfy me? And the answer to that question would be, no, I couldn't be with someone who didn't intellectually make me be fulfilled. Someone who dresses like a boy can also be sexy, too...it's called androgyny. But if someone was a girl, and just came across as manly and not feminine at all...well, I would have a hard time with that. Just being honest.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I'm not talking about girls that wear t shirts and jeans and sneakers. That is actually sexy to me, or can be (if it is the right kind of girl?)

What I'm talking about is someone who, by all standards, looks like a man. I would have a difficult time being sexually attracted to them, simply because...I am not sexually attracted to other guys, at least normally. I've actually found myself attracted to dudes that look like girls (full on makeup, usually emo types), and then I realize, hey, they're dudes. Just as a really feminine guy can turn me on, a really masculine woman can turn me off.

I feel terrible for saying this, because this is a very shallow kind of question. A better question would be, could I be with someone who didn't intellectually satisfy me? And the answer to that question would be, no, I couldn't be with someone who didn't intellectually make me be fulfilled. Someone who dresses like a boy can also be sexy, too...it's called androgyny. But if someone was a girl, and just came across as manly and not feminine at all...well, I would have a hard time with that. Just being honest.

It can take a great deal to be honest so I can appreciate that :) It is better that you are being true to yourself.

Sure... I mean, at least we could get the same kind of clothes, right? Easier if you ask me.

It's like what paintersradio said. It is easier for a women to wear men's clothes then it is for a man to wear women's clothes especially in public. I'm just curious, but what if others think that your girlfriend is a man because of the way that they dress?

Then I show them the naughty pictures I took on my phone of my penis penetrating her vagina and say "Yup, definitely a woman!" with a smug look on my face.

painter said:
Then I show them the naughty pictures I took on my phone of my penis penetrating her vagina and say "Yup, definitely a woman!" with a smug look on my face.

I'm not going to lie. That comment made me chuckle to myself :)

I am bisexual, but I would find it hard to be with a man who dressed as a woman. I did meet a cross dresser from a dating site some years ago and he wanted me to go clothes shopping with him for female clothing. He said about wanting to us to wear matching underwear. I couldn't cope with the situation and felt it was better to end the relationship rather than to pretend to be ok with it when inside I couldn't really understand him and I didn't really like it. It bothers me that I find it hard to accept as I like to be open minded and accepting towards others and I hate feeling that I am prejudiced or something , but this is something I can't really cope with.

No I would run a mile. Mind you I would find this sort of info out before I went out with someone who did that.

You could always include it on the questionnaire you provide your date on the first meeting.

I'm not the only one that does that, right?

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
^ Not sure about the eyeliner, but I'm glad someone likes guys with long hair. We ARE sexy! ;)

Yes you are a sexy lot. Id say long hair is a fetish for me. I melt when I see a guy with long hair. So where's the pic?

Naleena said:
Depends. I think men who wear eyeliner and have long hair to be very sexy...also kilts are a real turn on.

I agree.
I would be understanding, but honestly.. if he looked like Dame Edna I don't think I would be comfortable. Like....I want my man in a dress to look good. But I wouldn't want him to upstage me.

Latest posts

Back