How was your 2011?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
Hasn't it been a sh***y f***ing year. Even happy successful people on a panel show I saw today felt like that. I cant wait to see the back of it and hope to god it will be better next year (I suspect it wont because I am expecting global catastrophe, hunger, poverty, misery, annihilation any moment now).

So how was your 2011?

Started off shitty, got better, got shitty, got better, got shitty, a roller coaster of ups and downs.

But seriously James, try to think more positive. Life is hard, seems like there are more downs then up but if we only focus on the downs that is all we'll ever see. I want to you make a New Year's resolution to think more positive, okay. :D You seem like you are always down when you could/should be much happier.

My 2011 has been terrific and I want my 2012 to match or surpass it.
A certain relationship could be going better at this point, and I guess that's my biggest disappointment.

All is not lost with that. I could have lost myself in dealing with the situation, yet I remain. It feels like I passed some kind of spiritual test. I will not ignore her or be unkind to her. Although I don't think reaching out to her frequently would be appropriate at this point, any time of doing so will be in the same positive spirit and with good intensions I have generally always held when contacting her (or anyone else, for that matter).

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. But don't use that as an excuse to be cold and distant. Instead, try to have something nice to say. It's good for you, it's good for them.

I can say with 100% certainty that the ride I took with her this year hasn't changed the fact that I have nice things to say to people, including her.

Sci-Fi said:
Life is hard, seems like there are more downs then up but if we only focus on the downs that is all we'll ever see.

I was thinking about this just last night. With the exception of diseases and disabilities that people are born with, or the accidents that can lead to diseases and disabilities, it is people who make life hard for other people. It's so sad, but it's true. For the VAST majority of people living on this planet, life could be blissful if people behaved differently.

Very short and mundane. Though not as stressful and depressing as the three previous years. On the bright side, I've completed a lot of yard improvement. And I feel I have upgraded a lot as a person.

Sci-Fi said:
Started off shitty, got better, got shitty, got better, got shitty, a roller coaster of ups and downs.

But seriously James, try to think more positive. Life is hard, seems like there are more downs then up but if we only focus on the downs that is all we'll ever see. I want to you make a New Year's resolution to think more positive, okay. :D You seem like you are always down when you could/should be much happier.

I think I am more positive in life than I com across. But it was a really really bad year, cancer and various health scares and death everywhere and recession and homelessness and hopelessness. I think this is a very positive thread because I am asking that people myself included say if they have had a bad time of things which could be part of a process of putting it to bed so to speak?

I think I have reason to be down. I agree I dwell on them. But I dont agree I have many reasons to be happy. Also i was really hoping this post would get others to open up. It was not my intention for it to be a "me" post. Wanted to hear about you lot.

DreamerDeceiver said:
Very short and mundane. Though not as stressful and depressing as the three previous years. On the bright side, I've completed a lot of yard improvement. And I feel I have upgraded a lot as a person.

upgraded? Are you borg?

cumulus.james said:
Hasn't it been a sh***y f***ing year. Even happy successful people on a panel show I saw today felt like that. I cant wait to see the back of it and hope to god it will be better next year (I suspect it wont because I am expecting global catastrophe, hunger, poverty, misery, annihilation any moment now).

So how was your 2011?

With out being 'political'
It will be yet another shitty SHITTY next 4 years if the *R's* don't get it together! and by the way it looks right now.... we are gonna be in the honeysuckle for another 4 years!

Just say'n

cumulus.james said:
DreamerDeceiver said:

upgraded? Are you borg?

Seven of Nine? :D

Well, to open up a bit more, my year started off with my Grandmother passing away, then just some emotional ups and downs, followed by one of my biggest fears hitting the town I live in. Wasn't easy to be living somewhere seeing the destruction nature can cause. The stress of work with the way the economy is right now. Now I'm kind of finishing off the way I started the year, thinking of all the relatives that have passed away over the last 8 years, all either before or after holidays.

And of course riding out everyone's ups and downs with them here the past year, been one heck of a ride. :)

Sci-Fi said:
cumulus.james said:
DreamerDeceiver said:

upgraded? Are you borg?

Seven of Nine? :D

Well, to open up a bit more, my year started off with my Grandmother passing away, then just some emotional ups and downs, followed by one of my biggest fears hitting the town I live in. Wasn't easy to be living somewhere seeing the destruction nature can cause. The stress of work with the way the economy is right now. Now I'm kind of finishing off the way I started the year, thinking of all the relatives that have passed away over the last 8 years, all either before or after holidays.

And of course riding out everyone's ups and downs with them here the past year, been one heck of a ride. :)

Seven of 9 was a legend.

sorry to hear you have had a bad year also. Are you optimistic for 2012?

Its been a venture into new social possibilities for me, so i have been going out more. In that way, very good and i must say im lucky to get the help and support to make that possible. But my general anxiety problems has been at its worst at some points, which means anxiety attacks to some degree, and OCD-like symptoms (compulsive thoughts). Im not sure if its caused by stress or what.
All in all, a kind of really fresh year, but made me feel unstable i think.

Review time, okay. A quick summary.

January: Always night, always dark, always cold (literally, not in a mental kind of way). Fell on the ice and broke my butt. Painful but interesting experience. Got to spend a lot of time lying on my stomach and relaxing.

February: Nothing special. Mostly spent on recovery and birthday party for a friend who cut contact with me a few months later.

March: Release of the anticipated Dragon Age 2. Also the month of my visit to Montreal, Canada. Cold, but awesome trip, though forgot my travel mascot. Tragedy!

April: I suppose something happened, though I can't really recall much. Nothing special, I guess. Think I made some easter decorations or something. Went to the gym a lot.

May: Spring! Blessed spring! Everything was awesome and life was perfect. Eurovision Song Contest awesomeness. February birthday friend got a boyfriend and I never heard from her again.

June: Moved into a new flat, one I didn't have to share with anyone. Bliss. Would have been the perfect month, had I not been told that I wouldn't get my substitute contract renewed at the workplace I really loved. Fell into major depression, finally managed to talk to my doctor about it and get the help I needed.

July: Sick note from work all month. Mostly spent on staring aimlessly into the wall, ceiling or thin air. Occasional trips to the forest with lake swimming, when my conscience got the better of me because of the nice weather. Felt my building shake as the Oslo bomb went off, and hardly slept for days after that and the Utøya shooting.

August: Started therapy. Went back to work at 20% part time. Freaked out about wasting my summer. Went night swimming in a forest lake; that was awesome. Discovered this forum.

September: Started new job, and freaked out about it. Watched a lot of films. Made a new friend. Started dance class.

October: Long and dreary, but spent some time with new friend. Star Wars film nights. Unusually warm for this time of year. Still managed to get sick a lot. Played a lot of Mass Effect.

November: Kept spending a fair amount of time with my new friend. Remained sick.

December: Travel mascot went to Mexico without me, as punishment for Canada. Christmas magic. Joined a gym. I force everything to be magical and wonderful, even if it kills me.

All in all, a complete roller coaster ride. Some big ups, some big downs, a lot of normal. I've had better, I've had worse. On a scale of 1-10 I'll give this year a 6.

It started off incredibly shitty the first two months. It then improved by a fair bit (not uncoincedentally around the time I went to Norway *wink*), but continued being everything but enjoyable. Though 2010 was a shitty and painful year as well, at least that year a lot of interesting things had happened to me, while 2011 was mostly blank. My hopes for 2012 are very high though for various reasons. A hunch tells me I'll have a good new year as well in two weeks. Why, I do not know.

It was nothing short of being awesome. Finally get to be with my love. Biggest change of my life, but it was certainly worth every sacrifice.

VanillaCreme said:
It was nothing short of being awesome. Finally get to be with my love. Biggest change of my life, but it was certainly worth every sacrifice.

Wow, that's so inspiring. I'm really glad to hear that Vanilla! :D

My 2011 was a mixed bag. I think I got closer to some people. I learned a lot about myself and others.

Plus I improved my body quite a bit. Still need to work on it to get the physique I want, but now that I think about it my image has changed a lot for the better over the last year. That's one undeniably good thing that's happened :)

It was not much of a hoot. I spent most of it unemployed, and when I did get a job, it was a big letdown. At least I got some money out of it, and met a few people I enjoyed talking to. I managed to get a date during the summer, but it didn't pan out. Still, it was nice, and better than no date at all. And I generally loved the summer months, they were the best part of the year.

The world seems to be going from bad to worse, and problems have started to pop up even in my home country. I am rather worried about all this, naturally. I guess it was naive to think we'd be left untouched by the insanity, but we don't live in an age anymore where the global community is just something that happens to everybody else.

Still, largely the year passed uneventful, and sadly, rather sick at times. Still am, but at least it's not likely to be anything that will be the death of me. I have learned a few things, and managed to make small improvements to my life along the way, and the little things add up, for good or worse. I met a few nice people on the internet, and have enjoyed talking to them and appreciate them for being there. Probably would've been pretty messed up if I didn't have anybody to talk to, heh.

I'm guessing next year will be okay- I got a better apartment than the last two, a brand new computer, relative health and the help of my immediate family during tough times. The worst of my winter blues are probably gone now that the perpetual night is over and we start getting sunlight, and I feel confident that next year will present new opportunities in my life, which I intend to follow through. I'm finally getting over the worst of my fears after I started thinking in the lines of 'what if I do not...' instead of 'what if...'. A new perspective and all that. Scaring myself with different dystopian futures of loneliness and grief, I guess. Works well enough. :D

On the whole the year was a net improvement for me. At the beginning of 2011 I was living in squalor and grinding poverty under severe oppression, first under a domineering landlord who was pressing me to be a hooker and pay the rent that way while aggressively prying into my personal life, then under a psychopath boss who worked me 80+ hours a week cleaning horse stalls for what amounted to 87 cents an hour as I stared physical collapse in the face and endured horrendous abuse.

I was finally able to escape from there, and come to where I am now, to live with an elderly man who needed care, and I now have a job and a decent income again after years of hardship and poverty. My living conditions have greatly improved and I am far happier. Now I just need to develop a fuller social life, and I'm working on that.

Latest posts

Back