I can't wait til the day that I get plastic surgery...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luna, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you, but I'm sure you look just fine. Personality is what's important and I've always been attracted to yours for sure. :)

EveWasFramed said:
Luna is lovely and exotic. I can't fathom why she doesn't see it, but we seem to be our most harsh critics.

Is exotic shorthand for ethnic?

SophiaGrace said:
No, it isn't, because ethnic has a different connotation.

Quite, that's why people tend to use the word "exotic" in personal ads to mean of a non-white ethnicity. Like how "bubbly" means fat.

This is what I mean.

If Luna is indeed ethnic, it wouldn't be difficult to understand that she may want to change her ethnic features to be more in line with the Hollywood paradigm of beauty.

Ok. Wtf. That comparisson was uncalled for and I've never hear someone use the word bubbly to mean fat. I've heard it used to describe a happy, cheerful person, usually a young girl.

Shapely was probably the word you were looking for. Or, BBW.

But damnit, that was a horrible comparison.

Exotic to me means more like a leopard, which is frequently cited as an exotic species, but the general consensus is that it is still beautiful. Exotic means uncommon, and it does not have a negative connotation, quite the opposite.

Ethnic has more to do with social class structure IMO.

The-One said:
SophiaGrace said:
No, it isn't, because ethnic has a different connotation.

Quite, that's why people tend to use the word "exotic" in personal ads to mean of a non-white ethnicity. Like how "bubbly" means fat.

This is what I mean.

If Luna is indeed ethnic, it wouldn't be difficult to understand that she may want to change her ethnic features to be more in line with the Hollywood paradigm of beauty.

I was actually referring to something altogether different, and won't go into here, as there are some people who don't know what she looks like, so it's down to a matter of privacy.

Don't turn this thread, nor my post, into something it isn't. Now that my comment has been clarified, move on.

SophiaGrace said:
Ok. Wtf. That comparisson was uncalled for and I've never hear someone use the word bubbly to mean fat. I've heard it used to describe a happy, cheerful person, usually a young girl.

Exactly, Soph. I think it's funny how some people change the meaning of words to suit their own needs.

SophiaGrace said:

The usage probably differs from country to country slightly. But I stand by my example.

No, look on the site you linked us to, you used the wrong word. It's not a matter of country or regional difference.

I even looked at the site you linked us to to make sure what I was saying was correct.

I get what you were trying to say though, and I still think the comparison from exotic to bubbly (meaning a fat person in your mind) was a bad comparison.

In this case there wasn't a negative quality that was attempting to be smoothed over via a euphemism, or politically correct term.

SophiaGrace said:
No, look on the site you linked us to, you used the wrong word. It's not a matter of country or regional difference.

I even looked at the site you linked us to to make sure what I was saying was correct.

I get what you were trying to say though, and I still think the comparison from exotic to bubbly (meaning a fat person in your mind) was a bad comparison.

In this case there wasn't a negative quality that was attempting to be smoothed over via a euphemism, or politically correct term.

It was a general guide, the content of which I found amusing.

Here is a link which does say specifically that "bubbly" = "fat". (she seems to be from the UK, "glasgow's mindset")

http://alannaonline.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/euphemisms-your-guide-for-safe-blind-dating/

The-One said:
SophiaGrace said:

It was a general guide, the content of which I found amusing.

Here is a link which does say specifically that "bubbly" = "fat". (she seems to be from the UK, "glasgow's mindset")

http://alannaonline.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/euphemisms-your-guide-for-safe-blind-dating/

Also, being overweight is partly only negative in the sense that society deems it to be negative.

Now, there are negative impacts on a person's health if they are overweight, but I don't appreciate you looking down on this segment of society. The only reason why they might use the word bubbly is to escape the pejorative meaning of the word fat.

They have a lot to offer society too and in other parts of the world are seen favorably. So, you buying into this whole societal mindset that a person who has a few more pounds is somehow worth less, I find to be, quite shallow.

Furthermore, they deserve to be loved and have things to offer the world as much as any thin person, they just have to work through the predjudices of a shallow society, of which, obviously, you're a part of. :)

SophiaGrace said:
Also, being overweight is partly only negative in the sense that society deems it to be negative.

Now, there are negative impacts on a person's health if they are overweight, but I don't appreciate you looking down on this segment of society. The only reason why they might use the word bubbly is to escape the pejorative meaning of the word fat.

They have a lot to offer society too and in other parts of the world are seen favorably. So, you buying into this whole societal mindset that a person who has a few more pounds is somehow worth less, I find to be, quite shallow.

Furthermore, they deserve to be loved and have things to offer the world as much as any thin person, they just have to work through the predjudices of a shallow society, of which, obviously, you're a part of. :)

Yes it is "partly" negative, so if that part was taken away, the remaining bit would be "wholly" negative. It's still bad whichever way you look at it.

And anyway, the solution to being overweight is so simple that overweight people are really inviting disdain upon themselves.

"Eat less".

A "shallow" world promotes incentives to better one self because a person's worth is ranked according to a set hierachy of criteria. The kind of utopian world you envisage would lead to decay and decline in human standards.

I believe that at anytime you condemn someone for being shallow, you implicit assent to people simply giving up. Whereas they should be motivated to try harder. No matter whatselse concerns the people on this forum, their fate are NOT sealed unless they a)die b)give up.

I am proud to be shallow. :)

The-One said:
Yes it is "partly" negative, so if that part was taken away, the remaining bit would be "wholly" negative. It's still bad whichever way you look at it.

And anyway, the solution to being overweight is so simple that overweight people are really inviting disdain upon themselves.

"Eat less".

A "shallow" world promotes incentives to better one self because a person's worth is ranked according to a set hierachy of criteria. The kind of utopian world you envisage would lead to decay and decline in human standards.

I believe that at anytime you condemn someone for being shallow, you implicit assent to people simply giving up. Whereas they should be motivated to try harder. No matter whatselse concerns the people on this forum, their fate are NOT sealed unless they a)die b)give up.

I am proud to be shallow. :)

Ok, you're making it sound like people changing is a simple thing. It's not, sometimes change is very hard for a person to acchieve and I think that devaluing someone, by forgetting that fact is an awful thing to do.I think exercising compassion when someone fails to reach their goals, being supportive of them, rather than damaging their sense of self-worth, would actually do much more good for them.

Also, you're making it sound like society's standards are some ideal which everyone should attain. I disagree, they arent an ideal, they're just norms.

For example, I am physically disabled. I will always be physically disabled. I've looked into various surgery options and there is really nothing doctors have to offer me. The technology isnt around yet to "fix" me. I am going to have to face society's prejudices my whole life. People are going to look at me and think A) Oh I bet she's dumb because she looks different or B) Oh she can't do this job, I don't want her working with customers.

For you imply that because people like me don't meet some ideal, that they are worth less, is just absurd.

"Eat less".

Actually, that's the worst way to approach weight loss, and the least likely to produce long-term results. Eating less will actually raise your body's fat percentage by causing your body to preserve its fat supply by metabolizing muscle instead, while using the nutrients you do provide it to prioritize fat accumulation rather than muscle production. Depending on the amount of weight you're attempting to lose, this may also lead to nutritional deficiencies and other health complications if maintained for the period of time necessary to make significant weight changes.

This tells me you're either not very athletic, or not very bright, and leaves little doubt that you're arrogant despite not knowing a thing about what you're saying. So it's really not a far leap to conclude that you're either a scrawny a**hole, or a stupid a**hole.

When your own imperfections are so glaringly obviously, I don't think you're in much position to be shallow.

If you want to rag on people's lifestyles and act like the answer is so obvious... You should probably learn the basics, first.

Mysis said:

"Eat less".

Actually, that's the worst way to approach weight loss, and the least likely to produce long-term results. Eating less will actually raise your body's fat percentage by causing your body to preserve its fat supply by metabolizing muscle instead, while using the nutrients you do provide it to prioritize fat accumulation rather than muscle production. Depending on the amount of weight you're attempting to lose, this may also lead to nutritional deficiencies and other health complications if maintained for the period of time necessary to make significant weight changes.

This tells me you're either not very athletic, or not very bright, and leaves little doubt that you're arrogant despite not knowing a thing about what you're saying.

When your own imperfections are so glaringly obviously, I don't think you're in much position to be shallow.

If you want to rag on people's lifestyles and act like the answer is so obvious... You should probably learn the basics, first.
Well the pot calling the kettle black does not preclude the fact that the kettle is indeed black. The pot is only a hypocrite if it fails to impart the same methods of judgement upon itself.

If I judge all people shallowly, including myself. Above all, I am no hypocrite.

Take an anorexic/fashion model who keep losing weight because they're starving themselves by eating an apple a day every day. Well, clearly, the body is losing the war no matter how clever it might think its metabolism is. If an overweight person imitated the diet of a fashion model, they'd win the war too.

That's an extreme example, but it demonstrates the concept of "eating less" is effective in losing weight.

I remember being fat when I was about 8. My parents were concerned, told me that I was too fat, restricted the calories I took by refusing to buy me snacks and confectionary (ie. eat what's on the table or nothing at all) and dragged me to go jogging in the park on weekend mornings. I wasn't fat soon after.

I never called you a hypocrit... I called you an a**hole, and suggested that you were likely weak, or stupid... You've confirmed at least 2 of my accusations, care to make it a hat trick?

Mysis said:
I never called you a hypocrit... I called you an a**hole, and suggested that you were likely weak, or stupid... You've confirmed at least 2 of my accusations, care to make it a hat trick?

Which 2? ;)

Latest posts

Back