I got asked to lunch by a woman and I said 'no'

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putter65

Reaction score
Today this co worker asked me to lunch. I turned her down saying I was busy. She wanted to go after work at 3pm. I wasn't lying, I promised my Mother I would help her with her Television.

The woman went on and on about it though and I finally told her 'we could go some other time'

The woman is very flirty and at times it's obvious she is interested. I have no real interest in her, she's nice enough to work with but that's it. I know about 20 other women I would rather have lunch with than her. I suppose that's a bit rotten to say that.

I guess I am a bit of a loner and prefer my own company and unless it's somebody who I really like, I won't make the effort to socialize more.

putter65 said:
Today this co worker asked me to lunch. I turned her down saying I was busy. She wanted to go after work at 3pm. I wasn't lying, I promised my Mother I would help her with her Television.

The woman went on and on about it though and I finally told her 'we could go some other time'

The woman is very flirty and at times it's obvious she is interested. I have no real interest in her, she's nice enough to work with but that's it. I know about 20 other women I would rather have lunch with than her. I suppose that's a bit rotten to say that.

I guess I am a bit of a loner and prefer my own company and unless it's somebody who I really like, I won't make the effort to socialize more.

I'm a loner, as well. I like my own company. But, if a lass at work asked me to go out for a drink, I would not say no. How do you know you won't really like her if you get to know her in a more relaxed situation?

If you wait for around for one of these 20 other women, you could be waiting a long time.

I'm a loner as well, but then again there are opportunities you can try and find the positives in. Maybe she isn't that bad if you get to know her better. It's just lunch. Why don't you try to ask her out for one time only and see what happens. You're not losing anything.

You know, I want to have lunch with Jessica Biel, but until that happens (I feel optimistic about this one), I'm open to other suggestions. :)

Why not get to know someone? Are some people so much less worthy of being known? Don't they also have stories worth hearing?

How's going for lunch with her gonna make the lunch more boring?

don't feel so bad. i would have done the same thing with a certain someone who works here in the office with me.

you know what you like, and you have confidence in yourself, and there's no reason to feel bad about shootin' that ***** DOWN.

I figure - If you came home after work and you we're thinking about that. Maybe you should of went and had dinner with her. The first impulse isn't always the better one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same thing you did. But there's still time for redemption - You can still take her up on the offer tomorrow. I mean what's the worst that can happen?

You may grow to like her. Worst case scenario - You'll get to know a coworker better.

You don't need to let her into your pants :p

jean-vic said:
putter65 said:

I'm a loner, as well. I like my own company. But, if a lass at work asked me to go out for a drink, I would not say no. How do you know you won't really like her if you get to know her in a more relaxed situation?

If you wait for around for one of these 20 other women, you could be waiting a long time.

When a man turns a woman down, its usually coz she's not hot enough for him.

beans said:

LOL. When a woman turns down a man it's usually because he's not rich/good-looking/muscular/charming/witty/nice-but-not-too-nice enough. :D

See how absurd that sounds? I don't mind having lunch with anybody, but some people can be one-sided conversationalists, or someone may have other plans for lunch or whatever. Sometimes I have a craving for something specific for lunch, but if someone else wants to go somewhere else that gets in the way of my Schwarma :D then I'll not wanna go.

Suggesting that the only reason someone wouldn't want to spend time with you is because of your appearance...is something someone who is probably insecure about their looks would say :D:D:D

grainofrice24 said:
beans said:

Suggesting that the only reason someone wouldn't want to spend time with you is because of your appearance...is something someone who is probably insecure about their looks would say :D:D:D

Women too, yes. But its worse for men. But ask yourself this. If a cute girl asked you out for lunch, would you say yes?

And if an unattractive girl asked you out for lunch, and you know she is trying to flirt with you, would you say yes?

I rest my case.

beans said:
If a cute girl asked you out for lunch, would you say yes?

Yes.

beans said:
And if an unattractive girl asked you out for lunch, and you know she is trying to flirt with you, would you say yes?

If she buys me lunch, yes.

:cool:

Dude, I understand what you are saying. It takes a lot of "mental effort" to put up with going out with someone whom you completely have no interest in.
Let's face it, some people say you may grow to like her, but I believe that if her "type" (which may well be appearance or other things) is something that you are not attracted to, then it's probably a lost cause.

HOWEVER, I still suggest you go out with her for a lunch..... maybe she has real hot friends whom you can get to know..........

I rarely ever turn down an invitation to lunch by anyone unless I really have a reason. People are fascinating, sometimes fascinating idiots, but still fascinating and its at least worth an half hour of my time to understand how they think.

IgnoredOne said:
I rarely ever turn down an invitation to lunch by anyone unless I really have a reason. People are fascinating, sometimes fascinating idiots, but still fascinating and its at least worth an half hour of my time to understand how they think.

And there's the bonus of free food any man should consider above all. :)

rosebud said:
And there's the bonus of free food any man should consider above all. :)

I once had a dream that I was trying to freeload free food from a convention, and ate what seemed to be delectable seafood; iced and raw and frozen. I had taken some extra with me into the car where it was warmer and as the ice melted away, I saw that I was eating insects and they were becoming active and awake in the thaw...

rosebud said:
I'm a loner as well, but then again there are opportunities you can try and find the positives in. Maybe she isn't that bad if you get to know her better. It's just lunch. Why don't you try to ask her out for one time only and see what happens. You're not losing anything.

You know, I want to have lunch with Jessica Biel, but until that happens (I feel optimistic about this one), I'm open to other suggestions. :)

A bit of an update for you good people !

She was in work today and mentioned 'the lunch thing' again. She said she was still 'sulking' with me for not going. I think she was joking.

Anyway to complicate matters a bit; she said 'oh we can go in 2 weeks time, me, you, and dotty' - Dotty is her nickname for this woman who we both know. For the past year, I have been in love with 'dotty' (She's the woman who played golf with me !) - I don't think my feelings are as strong now but I am still fond of her. Of course I said 'that's a great idea' - the chance to see 'dotty' again is something I'm very interested in.

Going with both of them sounds like fun and I would definately go. I am wondering though if this woman just dropped 'dotty' into the mix so I would show more interest ?

I would go and have lunch with this woman (with or without dotty). I think yesterday I was just got off guard a bit and I was busy after work. I did ask her if she wanted to goto the cinema about a month ago and she's never mentioned it since so I reckoned she wasn't much interested.

beans said:
grainofrice24 said:
beans said:

Women too, yes. But its worse for men. But ask yourself this. If a cute girl asked you out for lunch, would you say yes?

I rest my case.

The 20 I mentioned are friends and women I've known for a long time. Nothing to do with looks. More to do with quality of conversation.

Ugh. Free lunch people. Seriously?

Oh, gee. It's okay to go out with somebody I'm not into, possibly leading her to think the attraction is mutual. After all, I got a free lunch. Hoorah for the $6 soul.

Even if you don't like her, I would go. It means showing respect to the other person. Just make it clear that this is "lunch only", nothing else involved.

nerdygirl said:
Ugh. Free lunch people. Seriously?

Oh, gee. It's okay to go out with somebody I'm not into, possibly leading her to think the attraction is mutual. After all, I got a free lunch. Hoorah for the $6 soul.

lolol now you know.

Latest posts

Back