I misinterpret most of what people say

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the last month two of my friends ended a friendship laregely over that. The interent and relying only on e mails and IMs can often lead to misinterpretations of what was said and meant and cause rifts between people, unfortunately :-(

I misread social cues in real life all the time. I feel like a total social misfit constantly.

I have a tendency to over think and over analyze how people behave toward me. I'm always digging for hidden meanings. With that, I'm sure I not only misinterpret things that are said to me, I also look for subconscious cues, which probably aren't entirely accurate.

I do it as well. It can be hard to really know what other people think, as we interpret what they say through our own set of mental and emotional filters. If like me, you lack confidence, you tend to put a more negative interpretation on what they say.

now I try not to interpret too much anymore and waste energy that way, and as a result most of other people's behavior is completely incomprehensible, like caterpillars or aliens

I think this is called Aspergers. And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the forum (including myself) has a touch of it.

ahah, who knows... the interesting part is that strangers I understand them perfectly, I can see what drives them, it's just in relation to my person I don't know how to read the signs, strange, isn't it? does that happen to you as well?
anyway, this is a test for other forum members
http://www.aspergerstestsite.com/75/autism-spectrum-quotient-aq-test/

(I got a miserly 11, so I guess that's not my main problem)

It actually happens to me quite a lot in real life, it's not really a problem during regular contact 'cause some people used to say it's "part of my charm", but after highschool it caused more and more problems. I used to have a feeling that's becouse I just don't really pay attention, but ****, I got 28 on Aspergers test so maybe something actually IS wrong.

I do sometimes, but I think people misinterpret me more than I misinterpret others. I like asking people to clarify things though, so it doesn't usually cause much trouble.

looking up symptoms of Aspergers, **** i think i might have it :( or maybe it's just me being paranoid. and selective mutism. i don't talk as much to most people but i speak exclusively to others. i tend to talk about subjects i like and hope the listener is interested as well. but isn't this how normal conversations go? i tend to be sensitive to sitiuations while other times i could care less. like how i act with my family is completly different when i talk to people. i'm direct and apathetic with my family but very polite, and upbeat with others. partially it's because i'm afraid of what they might say to me, so its a defensive me mechanism, but a lot of times i genuinely like having conversations with non-family. maybe it's because i'm tired of seeing them all the time, or maybe i'm bi-polar? ugh everything is wrong with me!!!

I misread all women. If they speak to me I immediately assume they are interested in me when it is always to opposite.

I wouldn't say I misinterpret what people say, but I definitely listen too closely to how they say things. I respond to tone of voice more than I probably should.

I do have some experience with people who always misinterpret what I say. My mom is an expert at that. She can twist the meaning of anything I say into something negative. Sometimes it's so off the wall it blows my mind. How the hell did you get that from what I said?! I've often wondered if she does it on purpose, but I don't think she does.

I took that Asperger's test and got a 20. Right on the edge of "normal" which suits me just fine. All little quirkiness is a good thing. :p

I do sometimes misinterpret what others say, or just plain don't understand them. And I think I am misunderstood often, I think that's why I have some trouble talking to others, I'm always afraid they will misinterpret what I say.

I can be hard to understand, so I have to explain myself often. And I'll ask what someone means if I don't understand them.

Latest posts

Back