I need a new project

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putter65

Reaction score
The last 3 months my mind as been occupied with that russian.

Now she's thankfully gone, I need something else. My job is boring, I don't live my job. I play golf but only 2 or 3 days per week. And before I was always working on my golf swing. But now I have perfected it so I don't need to work on my golf game much.

Tv, well my Dad sort of dominates what is on so alot of the time I am just sat in front of my computer looking at facebook or checking my emails. My other alternative is reading which I enjoy but I can't really read for 5 or 6 hours every night.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Have you considered volunteering your time to something worthy? You've indicated your golf game is perfected- maybe there's an organization at one of the courses you play that has a program for teaching kids or the disadvantaged. If not golf then maybe something else?

You can learn a new skill and get into a career that interests you. Reading can help with that.

About a year ago, I was searching for hobby ideas too, to keep me busy since I don't work. It's hard to fill the hours sometimes I found this great list of hobby ideas. I got some awesome ideas from it too. Sometimes just reading an idea for a hobby will spark another thought of things you can do to enjoy your time alone.

Montreal Skye said:
About a year ago, I was searching for hobby ideas too, to keep me busy since I don't work. It's hard to fill the hours sometimes I found this great list of hobby ideas. I got some awesome ideas from it too. Sometimes just reading an idea for a hobby will spark another thought of things you can do to enjoy your time alone.

Very cool list Skye, I've added it to the iPads home screen for ideas. I was actually surprised at how many things in those lists I've already done/doing. :)

Lonely in BC said:
Montreal Skye said:

Very cool list Skye, I've added it to the iPads home screen for ideas. I was actually surprised at how many things in those lists I've already done/doing. :)

:) My only beef is that it's divided into "hobbies for men" and "hobbies for women"...kind of silly. I found a great page on how to make origami dinosaurs too, I want to try that out this weekend!

make and sell tie-dye t shirts... its very easy to learn, fun, artistic, and really almost impossible to do it wrong...

photography? takes up tons of time, and when you add photoshop to the mix, well, endless hours of puter time if you like that stuff

redecorate a room, repaint it, redo the whole thing...

rc cars and airplanes are fun... you can even get into building them

cooking and baking is a great skill to learn, and my favorite "hobby"

sewing? not only for women. I had a phase where I was into making bags... messenger bags, backpacks, bicycle bags.... can get into leatherworking

painting/drawing/art classes are often free/cheap

check out your local library for free events (ok, not a hobby, but still)

be a garage sale re-seller... go buy stuff and resell it on ebay for profit

whiddling (whitling?)

harmonica...cheap to buy one, lots of free lessons on youtube

kite flying... i don't care how old you get, flying kites is fun. you could even make your own and enter contests

tahts all I got for now...

oh, I got to add this one on, I once built a wooden kayak. A bit of a monetary investment, but it was very fun to build, and fun to paddle to. If I get money, I'm going for a canoe next time.

ahaikulife said:
make and sell tie-dye t shirts... its very easy to learn, fun, artistic, and really almost impossible to do it wrong...

photography? takes up tons of time, and when you add photoshop to the mix, well, endless hours of puter time if you like that stuff

sewing? not only for women. I had a phase where I was into making bags... messenger bags, backpacks, bicycle bags.... can get into leatherworking

whiddling (whitling?)

kite flying... i don't care how old you get, flying kites is fun. you could even make your own and enter contests

oh, I got to add this one on, I once built a wooden kayak. A bit of a monetary investment, but it was very fun to build, and fun to paddle to. If I get money, I'm going for a canoe next time.

You have to post a pic of this- I really want to build one as well.

Lonely in BC said:
ahaikulife said:

whiddling (whitling?)

sadly, I lost all the pics due to the great puter crash of 2010, and gave the kayak to a friend when I moved out of florida... I know, it sucked; I had like 300 pictures documented the whole process from beginning to end :( The plans I used were free ones, which, if I did it again, I would pay for plans, as drafting it out was time consuming and a bit stressful; I quadruple checked all of my math/drafting. The one I built is called the guillemot ... that is the company, I forgot the model, but if you wanted I could look it up. It was a stitch-and-glue, if you are familiar at all with the techniques... u either do stitch and glue or strip built. One of the reasons I chose that particular model is because some guy in south america somewhere has a website where he also documented the construction of it, and he did a fabulous job, so I saw it as a good model to follow how he did his...nice kayak, but much easier to fork out the $90 or so for plans... in my opinion. If I get around to doing a canoe, I'm going to try a strip built; maybe during winter :)

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/gui...construction/free_stitch_and_glue_kayak_plans

http://www.jcoppens.com/kayak/index.en.php

edit: I now own an external hard-drive to make backups LOL

ahaikulife said:
Lonely in BC said:
ahaikulife said:

whiddling (whitling?)

sadly, I lost all the pics due to the great puter crash of 2010, and gave the kayak to a friend when I moved out of florida... I know, it sucked; I had like 300 pictures documented the whole process from beginning to end :( The plans I used were free ones, which, if I did it again, I would pay for plans, as drafting it out was time consuming and a bit stressful; I quadruple checked all of my math/drafting. The one I built is called the guillemot ... that is the company, I forgot the model, but if you wanted I could look it up. It was a stitch-and-glue, if you are familiar at all with the techniques... u either do stitch and glue or strip built. One of the reasons I chose that particular model is because some guy in south america somewhere has a website where he also documented the construction of it, and he did a fabulous job, so I saw it as a good model to follow how he did his...nice kayak, but much easier to fork out the $90 or so for plans... in my opinion. If I get around to doing a canoe, I'm going to try a strip built; maybe during winter :)

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/gui...construction/free_stitch_and_glue_kayak_plans

http://www.jcoppens.com/kayak/index.en.php

edit: I now own an external hard-drive to make backups LOL

Thanks to everybody.

I bought a digital camera a few months ago so I will look into classes etc.

Harmonica ! I bought one years ago. I also play guitar and piano. It's never got me out of the house though.

There's this mass cycle ride a week on Sunday. They close the roads of cars for a day and people cycle along this course. I went last year and really enjoyed it. Going this year definately.

On another note, this female co worker has asked me for a 'coffee' - I said I would send her a text.

Latest posts

Back