I need an ally in web building.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 135067

Reaction score
I can usually muddle through examples and achieve my goal but my understanding hasn't kept up with the industry. I'm not looking for someone to write my code, I just need some guidance now and then.

What are you building? Which I could help but the only thing I've done is wordpress, and my knowledge in code is limited

I could possibly help guide you in HTML, and some PHP/CSS, how to host a basic forum, etc. Pretty much the basics. That's about as far as I go. I'm a self taught ex-web designer. Very old school myself and haven't kept up with the industry either. :X

@Garrett~ I'm building two sites on a home server. One is an average Wordpress blog but Wordpress would be local. Not sure if it's the same. I'm having a time learning the navigation. I downloaded a templet but I can't get posts or header onto it. It isn't really what I want. I want a page-wide header with three separate columns under it. Might be fun playing around together if you think it is up your alley.

@Siku ~ I'm the same. BASIC and C++ experience some time ago but things have changed. Certainly I could use help with CSS. You are probably better than I am at HTML and PHP but I get by. Self taught here too. The problem with self taught is the teacher knows no more than the student does. :)

My serious site is going to be an online collaborative editor for fiction writers. Firepad is my editor; awesome piece of work. But a writer's best tool is his beta readers and the site will be concentrated around that. To make the job easier I want an annotated web page where all the betas can see what the others suggested. I'll use Annotator1.2 for the engine. The content has to be up to date. I want to automate the web page to pull the html from the editor and post it as static text (sans editor). There is a command, Firepad.get.html(), I just don't know how to use it. I can't find any complete examples.

When all is done I hope to have a site where an author can draft and beta his story to completion and then convert it to epub for publishing. A one stop publishing site. I started this for my own use so I could write on the fly from anywhere and send all my beta readers to the same document. Emailing a draft to a half dozen people, each having added comments and emailing it back...file names get mixed up, it's a pain to wait for them to go through an entire novel before I can make changes, and there are a lot of duplicate notes, which wastes a lot of time. The beta page is designed to simplify the whole process and eliminate the waste. Google Docs could be used this way except I don't want the beta readers in the editor. And I don't want Google storing my unpublished novel in 17 different countries.

I have the engines for everything I need; editor, annotator, rtf convert to html, html convert to epub and PDF. I need help getting them to work together. For now just the editor to the beta page and related issues. I'm not in a hurry. I'm content to use this as a 'learn as you go' project.

Back in my day we would have called something this kewl, groovy. :) Should be awesome.

I can open a firepad for coding, I have a chat board and I've installed MYBB, same forum as they use here. I can even pull the firepad and the chat into the forum so everything is in the same place. That's if we get several to join the project. Little people like me get lost in the github world, but I can muddle through my own environment.

Let me know if you want to play.

Normally that's not the sort of help most people give out for free but give me an example of what site you need (here or pm) and i'll work up something in XAMPP which i will then send.

I'm looking around Wordpress this morning. I can't seem to find the TinyMCE editor. It could be that the downloadable Wordpress doesn't include all the options. If I find/install it maybe I can build a model and then ask you for help in tweaking it. I don't want anyone to do my work. But sometimes we each need a hand.

you can keep posting problems you are facing and me or someone else can try to help .. my help will be for free xD

Latest posts

Back