If an intruder came into your home what would you do?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe i would try to find out what they are up to first.

"A Georgia man shot and killed a 72-year-old Alzheimer's patient he mistook for a prowler outside his home, police said.

Joe Hendrix, 34,fatally shot Ronald Westbrook, whom he found wandering in his backyard in Chickamauga sometime around 4 a.m. on Wednesday, the Chattanooga Times Free Press reported.

Authorities in the rural northwest Georgia town said Westbrook suffered from advanced Alzheimer's disease and was disoriented and possibly suffering from exhaustion when he rang Hendrix's doorbell and repeatedly jiggled his front door handle shortly before the deadly encounter.

"This one house at the end of the cul-de-sac had a porch light on," Sherriff Steve Wilson told the Times Free Press. "I tend to think (Westbrook) was drawn to that light."

The tragic incident began sometime around midnight, when Westbrook and his two dogs left his home and walked some three miles in sub-freezing temperatures before ending up in Hendrix's neighborhood, where Westbrook himself once lived, Walker County authorities said.

Hendrix and his fiancé were awakened at around 4 a.m. to the sounds of someone trying to get into the home and called 911, the newspaper reported.

The girlfriend of the man who mistakenly shot and killed a disoriented Alzheimer's patient in North Georgia warned her boyfriend that the stranger appeared to be an old man and did not perceive him as a threat, the woman told investigators.

"I thought he was just confused where he was," she said.

On Dec. 5, she spoke again to detectives. Once alerted to the man, Hendrix quickly went into the bedroom to get a .40-caliber handgun he kept there.

Hendrix told the woman to call 911, and the couple retreated to a bathroom while the woman continued speaking by phone with a police dispatcher. When Hendrix learned an officer would need five minutes to get the house, he went outside.

As Westbrook approached, Hendrix gave several “verbal commands" to stop, Wilson said, but Westbrook either ignored or didn't hear him, possibly due to his condition.

The woman said she heard shouting from outside, then three or four gunshots. Hendrix came back inside, grabbed the phone and told police that he had shot the unknown man.

Hendrix fired four times and struck Westbrook in the chest, killing him.

10zmhd5.jpg

I'd be a bit amazed, considering I have burglar bars and steel doors. I don't have guns, as I haven't learned to shoot yet, but I'd be prepared to attempt to defend my child with various items I keep about the house until we could make our way out.

"A Georgia man shot and killed a 72-year-old Alzheimer's patient he mistook for a prowler outside his home, police said.

Joe Hendrix, 34,fatally shot Ronald Westbrook, whom he found wandering in his backyard in Chickamauga sometime around 4 a.m. on Wednesday, the Chattanooga Times Free Press reported.

Authorities in the rural northwest Georgia town said Westbrook suffered from advanced Alzheimer's disease and was disoriented and possibly suffering from exhaustion when he rang Hendrix's doorbell and repeatedly jiggled his front door handle shortly before the deadly encounter.

"This one house at the end of the cul-de-sac had a porch light on," Sherriff Steve Wilson told the Times Free Press. "I tend to think (Westbrook) was drawn to that light."

The tragic incident began sometime around midnight, when Westbrook and his two dogs left his home and walked some three miles in sub-freezing temperatures before ending up in Hendrix's neighborhood, where Westbrook himself once lived, Walker County authorities said.

Hendrix and his fiancé were awakened at around 4 a.m. to the sounds of someone trying to get into the home and called 911, the newspaper reported.

The girlfriend of the man who mistakenly shot and killed a disoriented Alzheimer's patient in North Georgia warned her boyfriend that the stranger appeared to be an old man and did not perceive him as a threat, the woman told investigators.

"I thought he was just confused where he was," she said.

On Dec. 5, she spoke again to detectives. Once alerted to the man, Hendrix quickly went into the bedroom to get a .40-caliber handgun he kept there.

Hendrix told the woman to call 911, and the couple retreated to a bathroom while the woman continued speaking by phone with a police dispatcher. When Hendrix learned an officer would need five minutes to get the house, he went outside.

As Westbrook approached, Hendrix gave several “verbal commands" to stop, Wilson said, but Westbrook either ignored or didn't hear him, possibly due to his condition.

The woman said she heard shouting from outside, then three or four gunshots. Hendrix came back inside, grabbed the phone and told police that he had shot the unknown man.

Hendrix fired four times and struck Westbrook in the chest, killing him.

people in the US need to chill the fresia down

Great googly moogly. The guy wasn't inside the house. Why did they feel the need to go outside and shoot him?

EveWasFramed said:
Believe it or not, not all of us in the US are gun-carrying people who lack common sense.

Yep, some of you don't have guns ;)

EveWasFramed said:
WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:
Believe it or not, not all of us in the US are gun-carrying people who lack common sense.

Yep, some of you don't have guns ;)

Correct. But some of us carry bats and will use them on smartassed Canadians. :club:

I've alerted the authorities- they've got a sketch of you and will politely ask you to leave your bat with them for safekeeping.

I've alerted the authorities- they've got a sketch of you and will politely ask you to leave your bat with them for safekeeping.

Not to worry, H. I know how much you enjoy being clubbed, so I have a spare.

EveWasFramed said:

Yep, I guess you can't assault the willing:D

EveWasFramed said:

Yep, I guess you can't assault the willing:D

Exactly. lol

Peaches said:
people in the US need to chill the fresia down

kamya said:
Some people are a little trigger happy mhmm.

Yeah, and that can happen anywhere - not just in the US. Don't think I'd ever shoot anyone. The dogs barking outside would alert us faster than anything else, so we'd be more prepared.

I would lock myself and the cats in the bathroom and call the police.

My mum's neighbour's house got broken into whilst they were asleep upstairs. They never realised till they woke the next morning and found the thief had stolen their car.

Tulip23 said:
I would lock myself and the cats in the bathroom and call the police.

My mum's neighbour's house got broken into whilst they were asleep upstairs. They never realised till they woke the next morning and found the thief had stolen their car.

Thankfully the people in that house were unharmed!

seeing as im in the uk and you can get charged for defending yourself in your own home which i think is insane and against the god given right to defend ourselves but im in an odd situation where i would have to be very careful if they started to fight me NOT to seriously hurt them lol! as i can REALLY cause damage with what i was taught in karate and ive practiced so long its the default way i defend myself but its a pretty brutal martial art.

so i would demand they leave and count down 5 seconds out loud for a chance for them to leave.

then safely arm lock them and eject them from my flat best case scenario i can shout at them and look crazy angry and they'll run.

most moves are designed to fight for your life when you dont have a weapon so i would have to be very careful if i was to fight an intruder not to really damage them, if i had to fight i do however know how to knock someone out instantly by just non painfully striking certain pressure points on the wrist and side of the neck.

failing that a dummy and faint kick as if im really going to smash them which i turn into a low leg sweep, when you're standing and they are on the floor a full nelson lock or any other safe arm lock is very easy unless they are strong and then i could restrain them using reasonable force by immediately holding them in a lock until the police arrive.

but regarding self defense if someone seriously is attacking me i will fight, if they are trying to kill me and my only way to survive the ordeal is to kill them i would do so.

i believe self defense to whatever level is required to sensibly stop the threat (at the most minimum of force you can use and still protect yourself) in a god given right, the entirety of nature works the same way, there are very rare times in your life where you may have to fight someone and you need to be prepared to fight back if needed however averse you are to violence.

any violence i have to commit would be done with GREAT sadness but i have wild hair and can really conjure up truly terrifying anger and i have used that 'acting like you're totally mental and could rip their head off' act to deter people i have seen about to attack others before and it worked, and have been attacked in terms of literally a guy coming upto me and attempting to really smash me in the face (he thought i was someone else!) and its emotionally very hard to strike another human being, many speak about how 'well tough' they are but the reality of a violent confrontation is fast, unpleasent and in no way 'cool'

Latest posts

Back