I'm quitting computer games!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stranger

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've made a big decision today! A few years ago, I've been addicted to this computer game called Runescape. I didn't play it for a long time, but a few months ago I started playing again. It's a horribly addictive game - you advance by doing a lot of repetitive tasks to build up your "skills", and the more you advance, the longer it takes to reach a new level. Well, I realized that it was really damaging my work performance, straining my eyes, and even putting me into this really bad "loser" frame of mind. It has been sucking my motivation and willpower all these months.

So today I'm quitting this game forever. I gave away all my "items", and it was just so sickening to see how other people were fighting for them... the items are not even real things! The only real thing in this game is the wasted time... so, no more Runescape for me :) Tomorrow I will get up and get straight to work, and if I want to take a break, I will go outside and get some fresh air. I'm posting this here to strengthen my commitment. HOORAY!

Are any of you also struggling with computer games? Thinking of quitting? Quit in the past? Have any useful advice?

runescape eh? it is very addictive and time consuming i have played it on and off since rs2 came out i still have my file but i dont pay for it anymore, i dont even log on anymore its just on a server somewhere :) you will feel better very quickly after giving up to be honest you will start to question when you ever had the time for games :D

That was a problem for me in he past. During my high school years I played a lot of a certain MMO and I'm sure I wasted a lot of time I would have otherwise spent with friends. I think I continued to play through my first year of college as well because it gave me that social high so I wouldn't bother trying to go meet people.

Now days I suppose I still can't put down a new game with a good narrative. I play in spurts, if I get something new, I play it non-stop till I finish it and then I take a break. Do i have a problem still? I think my fault has more to do with being hedonistic in general because I don't take care of my proper priorities.

MMOs are a big time sink though so it's better to stay away from them, although I'm probably just craving for a really good one that I can get back into.

Some solutions? Getting gamer friends? Or better yet, the elusive gamer girlfriend. Just switching out of MMOs. Those won't help with quitting of course, but I wouldn't recommend quiting all together. there are plenty of things you can get addicted to. Games aren't any differen't just make sure they don't fulfill.

i will never totally give up games they make for a good distraction and sometimes that is wats needed, you just need to make sure you see the sun each day!

Congrats on giving it up! :D I used to be a game addict years ago playing that final fantasy 11 game.... wow like years of my life rolled by and I missed them all with nothing to show for it in the end except pail skin that hadn't seen the sun like you could see my veins haha and a spare tire around the waste because those games go great with a bag of cheetos and a soda LOL. I didn't even want to get a job at first because i spent most of the night awake and slept most of the day away, but i felt like a total loser. Also, those games are so expensive to keep up with, they keep adding more expansions and my poor old computer cant handle it so you have to buy faster better internet just to play and i went through like 3 computers because they all kept crashing, i had no life. When the last computer broke while I was actually playing the game.. it was like... i have no money, i cant afford this, i need to do something else with my time, and i felt all the time like i was always grouchy with my loved ones for not understanding my addiction and lack of sleep, I never really talked to anyone but in game people, i felt so sad. It may not be true for everyone but i think my life is alot better off without the games. I hope you succeed in what you want for yourself :) best of luck to ya!

Good job, yea they're kind of a time sinker.

I used to play one for a while, I was addicted to it for the summer because it feels new to me, I continued to subscribe to it because I wanted to play with my friends (online geek friends), I don't really have a good social life so obviously that's the best thing ever existed, but I never really actually enjoy the actual game play all that much. I'm really objective when judging what I do, I never see the grinding and time sink aspects appealing, so it makes sense that I quit after seeing my friends go, but the time were still wasted, regardless of why I played those games in the first place.

I experienced with WoW to see what I'd think about it for a month in a summer, it was really, really boring for me. I figure I really just likes the idea of playing with people, which I never did with WoW.
I don't know why my friends couldn't just play some stupid online golf game or something, I'd probably enjoy it just as much, so I just stick with really short single player games that I actually enjoy playing over a weekend, that was my conclusion.

Nice job on giving it up and I hope you can stay that way for your own good. I too have struggled with an addiction to video games. Mine was World of Warcraft though and I know how you can get sucked into them. The only advice I know is never get into WoW lol because most people who play it may quit but never perpetually quit. Its probably the same with Runescape so just try to never give yourself a second of free time to think about it. Always keep yourself active with other great outside activities so you don't get sucked right back in like you said. Sadly enough, I still play WoW but I just pvp on it for fun and don't raid like I have in the past. I only play though when I have nothing to do which is right now because I recently got laid off from a job and my friend has been gone for awhile. I lost most of my friends because of this game addiction so definitely don't let it do the same to you.MMO's are good for nothing but making you feel like a loser and taking away all your free time. Best of luck to you and congrats on getting rid of your gaming habit.

lol have you ever noticed when you sign onto an MMO that they have that page that no one reads they just click 'next' to get past it that states a big warning about its addictive nature (so no one can sue them haha) and it says like don't let this get in the way of your responsibilities, your job, your school, your family, and things of that nature. Like they know what its going to do to most of its players, they designed it that way, and they are like millionaires for making a buncha people feel like losers lol how sad

I think it's mostly the MMO's that suck people's lives away when they're not looking. It becomes a massive chore to level up, get the gold, buy the stuff, etc...

You don't have to stop playing games completely. Since I have limited time, I like to play single player games. Back in the stone age of gaming, that was pretty much all anyone had available. Amazingly, they still managed to enjoy themselves.

I won't go as far to say that video games "saved my life", but there have been a few times where escaping into a digital world kept me from completely losing my mind. If nothing else, it can be a pleasant diversion when you've got the time to spare.

Moderation seems to be the key to a lot of things.

I could never give up gaming, but not because I'm so addicted. It's just one of the few things that really works for me when I need a distraction. It is important that you take breaks. It's good that you recognized your addiction and I'm proud of you for being able to break away from it!

I'm not addicted, nor have I ever been addicted to a game, yet I've been playing videogames all of my life (before kindergarten). I suppose it's the hobby I'm most passionate about, and will remain so for as long as I am physically and mentally abled.

Thanks for the replies everyone! They're very motivating :) So... I have an exam tomorrow, and I'm totally studying and not wasting my time on computer games! Sweet! :D

Latest posts

Back