I'm really lost right now and feel alone cause my family doesn't understand me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyNumber8

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this board and found it when googling : 24 years old and no job ...lol....sad :/

I live in a family of 5, and my parents can be really overbearing....they regard me as the smartest and have had high hopes for me ever since I graduated highschool and cegep and I was the 1st to go to College.....I still wasn't sure what to do with my life but my parents insisted that I start it soon to not waiste valuable time..so they picked something for me...teacher....at 20 I went to College in education and at 24...I just dropped out ..being one training away from getting my diploma......for 4 years I tried telling them that it isnt the job I want to do but they just wouldn't listen to me..and they help me pay for it half and half..so...me quitting wasn't an option.....after having a panic attack before my training and depression following I quit..

I don't like teaching and certainly am not good at..I actually had difficulty during those 4 years when it came to the trainings in real classes ( we have to do 4 trainings, as in work as a teacher in a class with a supervisor evaluating us)...theory is easy but actually doing it for real isnt......but my parents just don't want to admit this career isnt for me...

Now I quit College...and I don't know what career to pursue...I'm stuck home everyday and I have to listen to their constant yelling and insults....'' you can't do anything else because you're not good at it '' '' you can't find a job '' '' you won't be succesdul in w/e branch you chose '' '' why can't you finish anything '' '' your 24 and you have no college degree, no place of your own, no relationship '' ect....

Yes, I'm a 24 year old girl...I've never had a boyfriend....I've been asked out a few times but I always refused cause I'm just afraid ....I'm really shy..and I have poor social skills...even my brothers look down upon me....my big bro has a full time job and got married this year, my twin bro is in college and will graduate next year...I feel like the black sheep of this family...I feel like I let everyone down with my decision...and I'm like this black stain that's tainting this families reputation.....ugh...

My mom asked me to come work with her till december and then go back to school and try again.....but I don't want to do this anymore...and if I try I know I'll fail, I just have no love and passion for teaching....even my teachers can see that why can't them...

What do you guys think I should do...I feel like such a whimp right now...whinning and all.....but I'm really lost and I feel like I'm all alone in this mess and I'm scared that being 24 and starting all over again feels....like it's terrible...my family makes me feel terrible...like finishing college at 27 or 28 would be a sin you know...it's all about money and time for them....

I'm going to work till december that's for sure...but no way I'm going back to college in education....I want to take things in hand but I'm scared to do it.....what if they kick me out for my decision....I actually want to to leave the house and find my own place to live but I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job to pay for school and an apartment..... What I earn in 3 months will only be enough for 1 session in College...and I got till November to pick a program.....

I'm sorry for being such a pain and for my long vent but I'm really feeling lost and unhappy right now -__-

If you dont want to teach then you dont want to teach. Blame your parents. They're the ones who forced you in to it in the first place. It is their fault.

If my mum or dad spoke to me like that I'd give them a clip around the ear hole.

Look around on the internet at some college courses and see if you can get enough money together to attend. Otherwise you could always find a job somewhere but I would only do that if you really cant attend college. Unless you already have some quite good qualifications?

If I were you I'd leave the house find a job away from your parents and find one or two roommates to help with expenses. You don't have to do anything for anyone except you. You have to, first be happy and at peace with yourself and then think of others. Find what you are passionate about and follow that path. :)

I can't believe your parents forced you into a career field
WHAT THE fresia. It's not their life! It's yours! I'm mad at your parents and I don't even know you or THEM.

:/

UGH.

You don't deserve to be treated like honeysuckle.

What do you think you'd like to do for a career if you could pick a field?

Wow it has been 2 months already, sorry for replying so late DX !!! I've been away from home, working and staying at a hotel lol....no I wasnt kicked out, it's just a job I accepted far away cause I needed space and since I didnt have internet I couldn't come here :(

A lot of things happened and I had a good serious talk with my parents and we are finally agreed on something ....which is letting me live my life and let me handle it however I want ....end of discussion :)

Thank you for your comments and suggestions and support ^o^

I chose to go in translation since I love litterature and writing and I know how to speak fluent english and french :) , I've had translation classes before and loved it !! ( english - french / french - english ) it's a 3 year degree and it's very interesting and has many open doors when I graduate and look for a job ^^ and my parents like it too so that's good but I'm paying for everything from now on.

And about education, well I guess they will never forgive me for it but ...they leave me alone now and they stopped bothering me with it....

At least one thing is working out well in my life, positive change is possible when you put your mind into it with help ^^

*hugs*

lomojojo said:
If I were you I'd leave the house find a job away from your parents and find one or two roommates to help with expenses. You don't have to do anything for anyone except you. You have to, first be happy and at peace with yourself and then think of others. Find what you are passionate about and follow that path. :)

Yes this exactly. I want to be a vet tech, there's a big difference between that and a veterinarian--it's not just a vet with less skill. But everyone I know is urging me to become a veterinarian because of the money... it's not about money or what your parents want. It's about what you want--do what you can to do what you want, and then you will be happy. And don't give up. I'm an awful hypocrite for saying so as I often give up on things, but I mean it--never give up on your dreams!

Good luck with your new goal and congrats on telling your parents what's what :p I know it can be hard but I've been defiant all my life so I didn't have so much trouble >>

i'm glad things worked out for you, bunnynumber8.

there's a lot of people here who's parents forced them into a major and who are miserable and scared.

kids are shuffled into school after highschool and expected to chose their life right then and there.

its such an easy problem to fix but people are freaked out and dont know what to do.

i think it could be a sticky.

how to get out of school and out from under my parents thumb.

Latest posts

Back