[IMPORTANT] What are some benefits you can think of for not being able to speak?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I'm trying to find some positives in this. Help me please?

- No having to work in retail with people who bad-mouth back to you
- Being forced to think about what you want to say more

- You never have to explain why you aren't very talkative
- You never sound like Fran Drescher
- Religious relatives don't ask you to pray with them in public

You're never forced into talking to someone you just don't like, or people you don't want to talk to.

-when you talk to someone you don't have to worry about bad breath (from your end atleast)
-you don't have to practice saying "hello" in multiple tones multiple times before answering the phone to the person you like

You don't have to be nervous about chatting up someone of the opposite sex

- You never have to give a speech
- If you used writing to communicate, you'd be able to save the conversations and read them later

You have the opportunity to learn a second language, American Sign Language (or another sign language depending on whether you're not from america/canada)

Lua said:
- If you used writing to communicate, you'd be able to save the conversations and read them later

This made me think of another one. If you use written communications with people, you can ask women who you think might be pregnant, "When are you expecting" and if she says "I'm not pregnant", you then write, "...that new restaurant to open?"

Tiina63 said:
Seriously, I can't think of any real advantages.
You have to try...please?

No one will ever know how bad of a singer you could've been.

I'm struggling to think too really, I think some of the ones mentioned are about getting out of awkward situations like giving a speech but that would seem a chance to run away from your fears rather than a genuine positive.

People can communicate very effectively through sign language anyway so do you mean not able to communicate at all or just speak verbally?

Sometimes I get sick of the sound of my own voice in fairness!

You don't have to feel like what you've just said went in one ear and right out the other, by-passing the listeners brain.

one point I can think of.. is that it would make others pay more attention to what you are trying to say.
how many times I may be explaining something or telling a story when I can see it in their faces that that arent really paying attention or listening much at all. people tend to listen as though they are skim-reading and only hear the highlights.
where as when someone has a hearing problem or unable to speak, in general people will try a little harder and switch their attention onto trying to understand better?
at the hotel I work for, there is a lady that comes here frequently that is deaf. and she has a really hard time speaking clearly and usualy does half-sign while she talks. but i have noticed that with her.. that it seems the staff and anyone else she tries to communicate with tend to open their ears and eyes and give her focus, where as half the time I talk it seems like they barely heard me lol.

Soph, this quote reminded me of you and this thread....

Quiet people have the loudest minds
-Stephen Hawking

You will never torment someone by singing off key while in the shower.

The Good Citizen said:
I'm struggling to think too really, I think some of the ones mentioned are about getting out of awkward situations like giving a speech but that would seem a chance to run away from your fears rather than a genuine positive.

People can communicate very effectively through sign language anyway so do you mean not able to communicate at all or just speak verbally?

Sometimes I get sick of the sound of my own voice in fairness!

I know a code of sign language (signed exact english) and a little bit of PSE (Pigeon Signed English).

I get ignored at school where everyone signs ;) because i can't shut up.

and I stutter in sign language when the teacher calls on me in class.

But, i think these examples are for me out in the hearing world where most people don't know sign language and I am actually much more quiet.

I can already come up with a whole list of positives for having a feeding tube, i wanted to do the same thing for not being able to speak and for the other aspects of my disabilities which I have been born with. So I can see it in a better light and have better self-esteem about who I am instead of seeing myself as deficient and less of a human being and therefore not worth it to get to know.

LonelyInAtl said:
Quiet people have the loudest minds
-Stephen Hawking

Oh yes, this definitely comes through when the person I am talking to knows sign language and can read me. I don't shut the fresia up. :p

You will never have the opportunity to have your soul destroyed by being a telemarketer.

You have a different perspective than most other people so you're less likely to be a programmed society robot.

You have an excuse not to speak up in social situations when you feel awkward :O

You have an excuse not to talk to people you don't like? XD

Ok, I will try.
Noone can accuse you of being too quiet or withdrawn. (Both of these have been thrown at me at the past.)
You needn't worry about being interesting and entertaining conversationwise. (A big worry I have, as I often think I am boring when I can't think of much to talk about.)
You will have an air of mystery about you.

Tiina63 said:
Noone can accuse you of being too quiet or withdrawn. (Both of these have been thrown at me at the past.)

They only say this to you because you make them feel uncomfortable.

Seriously again-are you unable to speak? If so, is this a temporary or permanent condition? When I had my recent aneurysm I was told that, if it had ruptured, I could have lost the ability to speak which is why I said I could not think of any advantages of being unable to speak earlier today, as it cut too close to the bone. I hope for your own sake that you are able to speak and that your question is hypothetical, becuase it would be so painful for you otherwise. If it is not hypothetical, I am so sorry.

Latest posts

Back