Is being alone such a crime?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
The smart are generally alone. A lot of people can't relate to us.

I have to disagree with this view. I don't really subscribe to the "intelligence = loneliness" thing.

EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

I have to disagree with this view. I don't really subscribe to the "intelligence = loneliness" thing.

Agreed. That makes little sense, I can agree with the thought (and reality) that there are some people that are leaps and bounds above others - but all of those people are pretty humble, have a lot (or a few depending on their preference) of friends, and live their lives happily. But that may be just the ones that I have met.

EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

I agree with Eve's disagreement. "I'm smarter than everyone else, no one understands me!" is an excuse. There are many intelligent people with friends.

diamondintherough said:
I have never had a really big bunch of friends, instead just a small select few. For years I though this meant that I was a total looser and even today I have left my college with very few friends I will stay in contact with but I don’t really believe that it’s a bad thing. After all it is the quality and not the quantity that counts for sure. Of course social interaction is needed to keep mentally healthy because I’m sure loneliness can actually kill people slowly. But is it really a crime to be alone a lot of the time?

Of course it's not a crime. But for someone like me who, unlike you, does not have a "select" group of "quality" friends, but instead has none, it is a hell.

EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

(Unfortunately) less intelligent people - and by that we mean below average IQ- generally lack social intelligence, are less articulate, don't read social situations as well, aren't as funny, hence are less popular...

rdor said:
EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

(Unfortunately) less intelligent people - and by that we mean below average IQ- generally lack social intelligence, are less articulate, don't read social situations as well, aren't as funny, hence are less popular...

Which means you don't subscribe to the "Im lonely because I'm smart" theory, yes?

diamondintherough said:
I have never had a really big bunch of friends, instead just a small select few. For years I though this meant that I was a total looser and even today I have left my college with very few friends I will stay in contact with but I don’t really believe that it’s a bad thing. After all it is the quality and not the quantity that counts for sure. Of course social interaction is needed to keep mentally healthy because I’m sure loneliness can actually kill people slowly. But is it really a crime to be alone a lot of the time?

Being alone is definitely NOT a crime ... I think it's a choice,
We are social beings by nature, me thinks, and its a lot about quality for sure,
And I also think it's stress that kills people slowly not loneliness.

EveWasFramed said:
rdor said:
EveWasFramed said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

Which means you don't subscribe to the "Im lonely because I'm smart" theory, yes?

I don't, I think it's an advantage. Muse might have a point in relation exceptionally intelligent individuals.

When you commit a crime it's usually because you've harmed someone. So no, being alone is definitely not a crime, lol. Even though, people may act like it is. -__- Besides, what wrong with having an opinion and preference with how you spent your time which just so happens to be alone? I mean, it';s not like everyone else doesn't have preferences for how they enjoy things after all! XD

diamondintherough said:

In my view ABSOLUTELY NO it is not in fact it is your choice/decision to be so just as much as one wants to be in a relationship or get married or to be in love with one another.

Scientists say loneliness is as bad for your health as smoking! Maybe it should be a crime. It would be horrible to be forced to make pals or even DATE. That's going too far.

Latest posts

Back