Is it even worth it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedokes

Reaction score
What is more fulfilling to you...friends online or friends in person? Is it really that much better to have that person in front of you or does it do you just fine having it online or the phone?

- Someone online could be the greatest friend in the world... but they live far away.

- Someone you are ok with and they live near you.

What's the better choice for you? Cause I'm not really sure, both seem to have seperate benefits...

I would say in person for me. No matter how nice someone is emails are never going to make me feel less lonely. Going for a walk, taking photos, hearing some one's voice and seeing a smile will always be better.

I feel there's more stability in "real world" friends too, online ones can be notoriously fickle.

That's not to say I've not had good online friends, or before that pen pals (showing my age there) but there is always something missing.

I like online friends because I can tell them anything and not have them judge me. I can be truly honest with them and not feel silly or embarassed. I have found this really usefull lately when discussing my feelings.

Whereas friends in person give me something different. The need for everyday contact with people, subtle tones of voice and body language. And you can go different places with them. Of course they are essential.

So they give me different things, but I suppose I could live without online friends but not personal ones.

Good points... and it seems like both are important. Well, that fact that it's easier to talk about personal matters online it seems, more than in person.. but then you never get to see that person. :\ Having both in one would be nice I guess.

Honestly, I'd rather have that greatest friend who lives far away. That kind of connection to me is better than the connection of being physically close to them.

I am not sure either is worth it, but never before I kept a friend online so I do not know of that situation by experience.

But.. if I were to seek a friend, it would not be online.. Distance, this does not matter so much to me, so I am not sure the reason. maybe instead, I would wish for a penpal, friendship with letters written by hand. I am not sure the difference, but such a friendship.. more meaning in it, it would seem to me. But a friend "in person", to me this is ideal.

Both.
When I'm online, they are most important to me, when I'm offline then its those people that are there who are most important to me.

Latest posts

Back