Is it really possible...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkheart

Reaction score
To remain friends after a very serious relationship...serious to the point of marriage and soulmate talk for 6 years? I suppose for the person who wanted it to be over it would be easier. But for the person that got left in the dust...can they really be just a friend, watching the other person move on and be happy? Also, does that mean that the one who got left never really had pure and true love for the one who is moving on if it hurts them to see the other happy without them, therefore would rather never talk to them again?

I guess it is possible to remain friends. I could personally never remain friends with someone I used to love. And it does not mean anything...such things should not measure the worth or meaning behind love and everyone reacts differently. I could never talk to the person again because I would want to try to squash my feelings of wanting to be with the person and not encourage them. People have all kinds of reasons for the things they do.

Hmm... I would have to say you can only be friends once you have moved on. You can still love them, however, you have to be over them. If you are not over them then it will not work. You will likely end up being hurt or hurting this guy.

The only thing worse than your situation, is having the person pretend to move on and string you along for a few months before forcing you to dump him... I feel for you hun.

AFrozenSoul said:
Hmm... I would have to say you can only be friends once you have moved on. You can still love them, however, you have to be over them. If you are not over them then it will not work. You will likely end up being hurt or hurting this guy.

The only thing worse than your situation, is having the person pretend to move on and string you along for a few months before forcing you to dump him... I feel for you hun.

I think you are right. I would have to have zero feelings for him in order not to care what he does. It's just hard cause I miss him but I just can't have him in my life just as a friend. That is almost insulting after everything I went through for him. I hope I'm not some freak that never gets over it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I was with my fiance for 5 years before she left me.

We're still friends (somewhat), though there remains a bit of tension in our dialogue. There'll probably always be that undercurrent of tension. She's moved across the country and is with someone else now, so I don't talk to her a lot... but goddammit, I still care about her wellness & safety to a certain extent, despite the breakup and everything. Is that friendship?

I wouldn't take her back romantically... but as a friend?

*shrug*

Hard to tell where I'm at with her right now.

It's hard to remain friends after a long relationship, that's about all I can say about this.

Badjedidude said:
I was with my fiance for 5 years before she left me.

We're still friends (somewhat), though there remains a bit of tension in our dialogue. There'll probably always be that undercurrent of tension. She's moved across the country and is with someone else now, so I don't talk to her a lot... but goddammit, I still care about her wellness & safety to a certain extent, despite the breakup and everything. Is that friendship?

I wouldn't take her back romantically... but as a friend?

*shrug*

Hard to tell where I'm at with her right now.

It's hard to remain friends after a long relationship, that's about all I can say about this.

I don't know. I guess it is friendship since you care and talk sometimes. But it's like a catch 22 for me I guess. No, I don't wish him any physical harm, but it will kill me to see him happy since he doesn't deserve it. Then on the other side of that, I miss him alot...too much. Sooooo yea, in conclusion......there is no winning. haha

simpleman said:
I hope mine burns in hell. Does that answer the question? :)

LOL this made my day. :p

To be blunt, the answer is no, if the feelings really were as deep as you stated. I know some people will disagree, but seeing as I have an ex fiance and plenty of relationship experience, that would be my word of wisdom.

I dont have any relationship experience unfortuanatly but i would say no though. If there are any feelings still then i think it would just be aggravating as hell to be around that person.

Latest posts

Back