Is socializing that important?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabeXL

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I really should get out more, but I feel like I have enough to do as it is. I have books to read, music instruments to play, foreign languages to learn, and so on and so forth - and socializing isn't going to let me get anything done. There was a time when I did hang out with someone a little too much and led a life that most people would consider "normal," and while I felt immediate happiness of sorts since I'd been lonely all my life, eventually the guilt of not doing anything productive caught up with me and made me feel like a failure.

Also, I find that I don't really feel like doing anything with other people except on Friday evenings. The problem is, of course, between Saturday and Thursday I don't socialize with people enough to have them want to hang out with me on Friday evenings. I have the same issue on Christmas break, actually. To me Christmas is just one way to be as depressed as I am on Friday evenings - but three weeks longer.

Foreign languages to learn? Which languages?
I tell you, i'm quite fond of foreign languages and although I don't like socializing with people of my country, I love socializing with foreign people. They are so interesting. It's even far better when we can talk in an another language, switching from one to an another and so. That's why I plan on relocating abroad.

Just my contribution. Think about socializing with strange people or just foreign people, they are much more interesting than the standard zombies swarming around. That also why shy people are often interesting as well by being so far from the standards.

Well, actually yes it is.

Being social, or at least trying to be is important. Aside from the emotional health factors of contact with others (some people require more or less depending on introversion, extroversion etc), it's actually pretty key to getting places in life.

As an example, I managed to become very social amongst the people I volunteer with. I had to. But I got to thinking recently what -wouldn't- have happened for me if I had eschewed my relations with them:

-I wouldn't have gotten my EMT class.
-I wouldn't have the job I have right now.
-I would've missed out on a fun trip to Portland and a chance to experience my career's testing process.
-I would be at least $100 poorer, as people have referred computer work to me.
-I wouldn't have had my taxes done for free last year.
-I would've missed out on many free meals from people inviting me over.
-I would've missed out on a lot of career counseling.
-I might not have learned to fish, or do lots of other little, practical things.

I'm sure the list could go on if I sat here long enough. Because people knew me well and saw that I was reliable and dependable, I've benefited.

To contrast, I present my step brother. Absolutely book smart beyond belief, loves math. But he's a recluse. He'll do anything usually to avoid going out or having to genuinely connect with people outside of his family. Infact he even recently switched to an online college from a brick-and-mortar community college (though most of his classes were online anyway). He thinks he wants to go in to electrical engineering.

The problem is, he has absolutely no practical skills outside of some basic household chores. To this day his driving still scares me, and I hope the guy never has to catch his own food or run a chainsaw. And I think it's harder for him to find employment because he hasn't learned how to actually make a connection with or relate to people; he's plastic and fake and thinks he's fine. His mother (my step mom) keeps asking me to keep an eye out for jobs for him...and it's like, come on. I am NOT going to run around asking if people have a job for my brother. He needs to be out and looking for it himself in some way. Did -I- have someone running around to find -me- a job? No. I found it myself. I'll refer him to work if I know of any that he can perform. But I'm not getting him an application or crap like that. That's just crippling him more.

I mean, when he got his first jobs the guy couldn't even put together his own job references. I know a lot of us have this problem here but at least we realize it AS a problem to try and fix. So what do his parents do? Go out and ask people they kinda know who've talked to this kid for about ten minutes if they'll vouch for him. Granted, he has a couple of real ones he can list now. But that's still a cheesy excuse to not try and actually make a real impression on whoever's interviewing him.

And he has absolutely no networking potential career-wise...and from what I understand, that's pretty crucial when you get in to those high-end jobs. Knowing people. What you know certainly counts, but who you know does, as well. If I were him, I'd be looking for job fairs, and trade shows or expositions relating to the field. I don't know...look in to internships. Whatever it is electrical engineers do to start out. Get to know some people, learn more about your path in life...otherwise he'll never be able to walk it. And I'd have stayed at that brick-and-mortar school, too, even if it is just community college. At least it can transfer to EWU.

I think my life would be better if I was more social, I feel very anxious and awkward around people so I avoid doing social things at all costs and I think this just makes my problems worse.

fern said:
I think my life would be better if I was more social, I feel very anxious and awkward around people so I avoid doing social things at all costs and I think this just makes my problems worse.

I feel and do exactly the same. I can't even remember the last time i spoke to a real person, apart from my one brother.

Actually the last time i spoke to someone was when i had a surprise phone call from a Yorkshire Hooligan :D

Socializing is a method to share these things you are doing with other people and them to share it with you. It's really just another form of entertainment and support for your life and your ambitions.

If it's something you don't care about then I guess it isn't important. But why learn foreign languages if you aren't going to socialize with them? Why learn music to not play for people?

Ultimately your life is what you make it... then you die.

If you are comfortable living your life with minimal socializing and comfortable dying as someone who has done that... then by all means... continue to not socialize.

Papabear said:
It's really just another form of entertainment and support for your life and your ambitions.

Ultimately your life is what you make it... then you die.

I ma make titays squeezing and nibbling my life ambition
until the day I die :)
I like that..it's plan and simple.
It's freedom and responsiblities.

Like Brian said...it's not what you know about titays.
It's WHO you know with titays, WHAT kind of titays and the METHODE
of how you treat titays that will give you the ultimate out come.
At the end it's just entertainment or experience...

Nothing last forever.

Even the people with fucken high morals of thinking I'm fucken, stupid crazy or insane.
Those that even hate me...
Those mother ******* will die and weather away too:p
Nothing last forever

-----------------------------------------------------
Socializing (for me)..has it pros and cons.
Too much of it has dire consequences for me.
Isolations also is not heathlty for me.

Papabear said:
If it's something you don't care about then I guess it isn't important. But why learn foreign languages if you aren't going to socialize with them? Why learn music to not play for people?

Because they're fun and they let me make money my own way. =)

(I'm not sure if my definition of socializing is the same as your definition of socializing, but by "not socializing" I didn't mean "completely isolating myself from other human beings." Really.)

Latest posts

Back