is the gym an appropriate place to chat up girls?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyboy24

Reaction score
Sometimes when im at the gym a girl will look at me and give me a smile. I am just not sure if shes smiling at me cuz she thinks im cute or she is laughing at me cuz she thinks im ugly. Either way I never have the balls to man up and go say hello, but if I just started attempting to chat up girls at the gym what do you think the outcome would be? I wonder if they would just think im a creep and run away. I can't be anymore creepier then the dude I saw hugging himself on the treadmill the other day..

I know of a few couples who met in a gym. I'd say it would be fine if you approached from a "work-out" stand point. Talk about training routines and physical goals first then see where it leads... Good Luck. :)

The gym is a perfectly fine place to talk to women, although be prepared for them to get a LOT hotter when they're out of the gym - I always look my worse when I'm on the cross-trainer.

Dude, if you were ugly, she would be ignoring you. So if she looks your way with a smile, its all good. But yeah, the gym is a good place to meet a workout partner. Just be yourself and friendly about it, you can start talking to her by your observations of her. Is she mostly working on her lower body? Does she wear a single color all the time? Something, observe and come up with a good question to ask her and maybe you two can start a good friendship.

Hi-
Well I'm a girl, I go to the gym and I wouldn't smile at guy that I thought I was ugly. I would avoid eye contact instead. So yeah, if a girl smiles at you, that's a good thing. I personally don't go the gym to meet people, I'm very focused on what I'm doing while I'm there. And I agree that if you see a hot girl at the gym, she's going to be 10 times hotter outside the gym, because we're usually all sweaty and not necessarily looking our finest while working out.
But if someone smiles at you, good for you - say "hi, what's up?"

Teresa

If you cant bring yourself to say hello, at least smile and nod - it's a good start. :p

I've wanted to a few times but I'm always too scared to bother them.

I just assume the smiles are friendly 'courtesy smiles' that people give to be polite.

The gym is the PERFECT place to chat up girls.

What better place could there be? You get to ham it up for them by exercising and exploding your muscles IN THEIR VERY FACES!!! :D Work to complete exhaustion and then walk up to them and say, "Yeah, I do this every day. I love the pain. It makes me strong."

How could a woman NOT like that? :p

Honestly, though... ANYPLACE is a good place to meet women.

Badjedidude said:
The gym is the PERFECT place to chat up girls.

What better place could there be? You get to ham it up for them by exercising and exploding your muscles IN THEIR VERY FACES!!! :D Work to complete exhaustion and then walk up to them and say, "Yeah, I do this every day. I love the pain. It makes me strong."

How could a woman NOT like that? :p

LOL - yeah I would like that....for a good laugh :D
Seems like I've seen a few guys like that, only they weren't joking :D :D :D

Teresa

Lol thats funny and about the girls being hotter outside the gym I dunno.. when they break up a sweat I can usually see bra and thong and don't get me wrong I go there to work out but I do have eyes. I guess the smiling at me must be a good thing like you said thats probably just me being paranoid thinking she would laugh at me. Maybe il make some attempts but if I get rejected im going to be very upset. I don't take rejection well at all.

Mikey--If you're going to be out there and in the mix, you have to adjust to a tiny bit of rejection from time to time. Everyone deals with it. BUT it's so worth the benefits! Just smile back next time and see...

Jsd :D :D :D--Even on a day as crappy as this one, YOU managed to crack me right up! You are PRICELESS!

alonewanderer said:
Well from the words of my little sister, she claims most women are there for a reason and that reason is not to hookup. Think about it they're in there struggling, sweating and possibly stinking. At the college I was going to it was different , the girls were just there for a credit and oogling sweaty men.

On the other hand, if they think you're attracted to them even when they aren't dolled and dressed up then they might take it as a compliment

Danroush said:
On the other hand, if they think you're attracted to them even when they aren't dolled and dressed up then they might take it as a compliment

There's only one problem with that is women at the gym, it's usually easy to see their "goods" and guys like to stare at them (not me because I respect women).

mikeyboy24 said:
Sometimes when im at the gym a girl will look at me and give me a smile. I am just not sure if shes smiling at me cuz she thinks im cute or she is laughing at me cuz she thinks im ugly. Either way I never have the balls to man up and go say hello, but if I just started attempting to chat up girls at the gym what do you think the outcome would be? I wonder if they would just think im a creep and run away. I can't be anymore creepier then the dude I saw hugging himself on the treadmill the other day..

OK, unless the girl's 5 years old, she's not going to laugh at ugly people. She might be flirting, or maybe you guys just met eyes and she's just smiling as polite acknowledgement of your presence.

And whether you should talk to her depends on what you're doing at the gym. If she's huffing and puffing on the treadmill and/or she has earphones or she's watching the TV, leave her alone. Same thing if she's doing weights or stretching vigorously. She'd probably prefer to concentrate.

However, if she's warming up on a bench or cooling off (especially if that's when she's smiling at you), feel free to make a casual comment. But only do so if it's convenient for you. If you actually stop your exercise and go out of your way to approach her on the cool-off bench, you'll look creepy and obsessed over her.

Rule of thumb - if she's nearby, receptive and not concentrating on anything, she's open for chat.

And you saw a guy hugging himself on a treadmill? o_O WTF is that? lol

Latest posts

Back