Is therapy as creepy as I think it is?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kinda like massage therapy. I mean, it would be creepy to have some random stranger touch your naked body... but it's different when you go to a therapist.

If you're thinking that, then maybe you haven't properly "bonded" with your therapist. I know that phrase, in and of itself, sounds creepy. However, as someone who's had a half dozen therapists over the past 20 years. I can tell you that sometimes you are like oil and water: you just don't click. It's no harm, no foul. You're not going to click with everyone you meet, so it makes sense you're not going to be good with every therapist you meet.

If you're feeling creeped out, maybe you don't feel safe. Maybe it's time to look for another Dr.

I know what you mean. I've been in therapy since I was 14.

But the truth is that therapists are there to help you. In that way, they are just like any other doctor. My former therapist has helped me conquer a lot of my fears...and my current one (that I've just started seeing) will probably help me out, too.

I went to therapy once for my panic attacks when I was about 14 or so. I always hated it because I got the impression that therapists think they are better than everyone else, as they can fix everyone's problems with their "superior knowledge" and "stability." Similar to you, I felt weird at the prospect of telling a complete stranger my life story and my beliefs.

That opinion has changed slightly, now that someone I know works at a counselor's office and tells me all these weird stories about the therapists. I realize now that they aren't all snobs, and some of them are downright flaky!

It is kind of strange when you think about it but what else do we have? It's one of the best models of help we have. They are trained to be professional. We have to trust that I guess but if you don't feel comfortable or happy then maybe it's not for you or that therapist is not for you.

Maybe it's a sign you are ' getting better', whatever that means, that you want to hear the other person's story and not just tell your own.

I know I felt this way sometimes when I was being counselled.
However, I think it helped me (talking about my feelings to a stranger), I wouldn't have done this to someone I knew.
This forum helps in the same way for me, I can say anything I like, be totally honest.

Latest posts

Back