Is transferring schools a good idea?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedolphin92

Reaction score
On the one hand, I'm not very happy at my current school and absolutely can't stand being at home with my parents during the summer. Transferring to a new school out of state would give me new opportunities to meet people, make new friends, and stay on campus during the summers to stay away from home.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'd actually be able to put myself out there enough at a new school to actually make new friends. As much as I dislike it at my current school, I do have a handful of "friends" and am more or less in my comfort zone there. I'd like to believe that a change of environment would force me out of that comfort zone and force me to put myself out there more. But would that really be the case? Or would I just end up even more lonely than I was before?

The problem I foresee is that when you have had mainly negative experiences around other people, then it can be hard to wipe the slate clean and start again in a new place with different people, as you will be taking in your head all of your past experiences with people with you. You write that you can't stand being at home with your parents in the summer and that you have a handful of 'friends' at your current school. It sounds as though you find friendships and relationships difficult and just changing location won't neccesarily change this. Why do you think that you have had these difficulties?
On the other hand, getting away and being with people who didn't know you as a child and young teenager would mean that you would be freer to be yourself as you are now as they would have no preconceived ideas of who you are and of what you are like. There are pros and cons as there are with most life choices.

I tend to side against complacency, so, as long as it won't hurt you financially or impede your education, it would probably do you good change your setting.

I'd say yes, depending on the reputation on your old school. When you transfer to a new school, you will pretty much start off as a "nobody", so to speak. Nobody knows who you are, and what kind of person you are.. so let's say you were the shy one at your old school; if you socialize more at your new school, you won't be the shy kid anymore. This is a great way to make friends, you know. It might even give you confidence, lol.

I can understand needing to get out of your comfort zone and I think the only person who knows if they need to do that is you. That said, escaping from your current situation will put you in a more challenging one and you need to decide if you can do that. How is moving out of state going to affect you financially, academically, and socially? There will be times when you need support, but your parents and current friends may not be able to do more than listen to you when you call because they will not be able to physically come to you.

I would suggest trying to get out of your comfort zone where you are now. It can be hard to meet people, but there must be something you can do over the summer (i.e. volunteering) that will help give you that chance. And if you do decide to move, you can do so feeling a bit more sure of yourself after having met them. *hugs*

Latest posts

Back